Houzz Logo Print
paltmaie

Rutt quality and cost

paltmaie
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

I used Rutt Classic for my kitchen 22 years ago, and I couldn't be happier. The kitchen looks like new after all these years - the finish has worn beautifully, and everything works perfectly.

I just bought a new house in VA, and had the designer price out the drawings of the old kitchen to see what it would cost today, given we want to stick pretty close to that design. The only thing that's giving me pause is the price - it's almost 3x the price. I get it's been 22 years and inflation wreaks havoc, but I'm having some nervous moments wondering whether 80K is a sensible amount to spend on kitchen cabinets. The design is a typical U shaped kitchen with an island.

My designer says Rutt Regency will come in only 12% lower, not the 20% I've seen cited here.

So I'm wondering - how does Rutt price and quality compare with its competition? Is this price typical for this quality of cabinet or is Rutt an outlier???

Comentarios (28)

• missb_remodeling
    hace 2 años

If it makes you happy and you have the money, then go for it! I'm not familiar with the line, but it looks really nice!

The amount .you're looking at for cabinets alone is close to my entire kitchen budget and I'm selecting the higher end of a non-custom line (so cabinetry that can be customized in 1/4" increments in terms of sizes and plenty of bells and whistles, but not custom). My cabinetry cost is closer to $35k. I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but I'm not getting bookmatched grain or anything fabulous like that, just inset cabinetry.

paltmaie agradeció a missb_remodeling
  • paltmaie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

That's very helpful. I'm not going for any bells and whistles either, or fancy touches, but I do want a kitchen that lasts as beautifully and works as well 20 years from now. So it's really longevity and quality Im looking for, not fanciness, if that makes sense. Since I don't prefer paint, the grain matching is pretty important to me though, not sure what price one has to pay for that.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    hace 2 años

Cabinets go up 3-6% per year on average....lets do the math, it should have at least doubled since then. With recent increases in materials costs, add in another 10% to 30%. If the kitchen is a bit larger maybe, I could see how this might triple in price. Also, due to high demand, the dealership is probably increasing their margins a bit. Trust me, when you get this busy, more mistakes happen than in slow times.

$100 + 3% increase each year for 22 years + 25% recent increases + 5% more by dealer margins= About $250. Not quite 3X the money, but close.

*May need to check my math, all I have is my phone calculator.

paltmaie agradeció a The Kitchen Place
  • Helen
    hace 2 años

It depends on what you think of as their competition.

Rutt is a high end luxury brand and their competition isn't KM or any of the other semi-custom lines.

My understanding is that it is a fully custom line with a price tag that reflects that.

It really depends on what your budget is and I guess to some extent the value of your house. You can get quality cabinets for less money obviously. I am not sure most people walking into a kitchen will be able to tell the difference although there are some door styles and wood species that would only be available in very high end lines. But that is true of any personal buying decision.

I splurged in some areas of my remodel. My cabinets are fully custom in a relatively expensive wood species. I don't know if anyone who comes to my home realizes that they cost more than a stock or even semi custom line. Nor do they realize that my tiles are much more expensive than builder grade from Home Depot. But I appreciate them and that is all that matters.

paltmaie agradeció a Helen
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    hace 2 años

Get a quote on Plain & Fancy. They are comparable, maybe even nicer. Then you'll know if the price is right or not.

• Helen
    hace 2 años

Crowne Point also makes beautiful cabinetry that is custom. I believe they added a less expensive line a few years ago but that is of course relative.

When I was remodeling I fell in love with their Prairie doors which are reminiscent of Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural motifs. I used them as inspiration for my custom doors which were made at a local cabinet maker.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    hace 2 años

If you want to take step down to a mid-level line, look into Showplace or Shiloh. It is NOT furniture grade or close to P&F or Rutt by any means. But if you want a decent cabinet that looks nice (with Inset doors), they both fill the bill. In fact, high end luxury cabinets are not selling well these days and for the last 5 years.

• Helen
    hace 2 años

@The Kitchen Place - not to quibble with your numbers but I think that there are certain features that have become desirable in kitchen cabinets that weren't standard 20 years ago. Most people would now opt for lower cabinets with drawers and those add to the cost. I am sure there are other standard "improvements" that would have increased the cost even if there was no inflation at all.

• paltmaie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Helen, I'm totally on the same page. I'm not looking to impress anyone. I doubt anyone who comes to my current house knows the price of my cabinets but what matters to me is how well they have functioned, how well they have lasted including the finish which looks all but new, and the quality that I can appreciate. I don't think of my home as a showplace at all.

The new home is in a very nice neighborhood but sold for less than most homes there because it hasn't been updated at all since it was built in 1988, and had rather more wear than my current 1982 house. Great floor plan, but we are replacing the kitchen and all bathrooms, refinishing floors, replacing doors etc. Going with Rutt won't maximize my resale value given what Rutt costs, but we will be here a long time and are doing this for ourselves.

• paltmaie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@The Kitchen Place Thanks for the suggestion on Plain and Fancy. I will look into them and into Crowne Point, as @Helen suggested. I'm looking for full overlay frameless cabinets, transitional style which is what I have now, which I'm guessing most brands would offer.

• paltmaie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@The Kitchen Place Thanks for the input that 2.5x-3x vs 22 years ago is not unexpected. I guess working in tech all my life where prices always go down or function goes up I forget that doesn't apply to many things! The appliance prices are not quite so dramatically different either - just the cabinets.

@Helen All my lower cabinets are drawers inside, even if they have regular doors outside. That was an ironclad decision we made then - no more scrabbling around on the floor trying to get something out of a base cabinet. We also have wood swingouts in both the corner cabinets. It's worked so well for us, we plan to duplicate the design adapting for 2 doors in the new house in the middle of the U of the kitchen (which I wish weren't there!)

• PRO
    Rutt Quality Cabinetry
    el último año

@The Kitchen Place "In fact, high end luxury cabinets are not selling well these days and for the last 5 years."

While we can not speak for other luxury cabinetry brands, our sales are higher now than they have been in years. We find that our end customers are inclined to invest in cabinetry that provides quality that will last them a lifetime.

paltmaie agradeció a Rutt Quality Cabinetry
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Rutt, I'm so glad to hear this! Maybe it's just my market.

I have P&F in my own home and can appreciate the quality difference, plus being in the business for 40 years, I know why a luxury cabinet makes sense financially if you plan to live somewhere for many years. Even my boyfriend has come to agree! He originally said...."I can't see much difference between the P&F and Brand B"...until a few years later. He sees it now....in how it looks, how the finish had held up....how everything opens and closes, how beautiful you can make it with customization...etc. Things have gone up so much with everything. It will be interesting to see what happens. HIgh end restaurants are surprisingly doing much better then the lower end restaurants. They had wiggle room for profit and prices didn't raise as much....while costs for lower end restaurants went sky high....so for the first time, people went to the higher end restaurants because the cost difference wasn't so great...better to get the quality!

ps Our sales are the highest they've ever been in 40 yrs. It's Doubled since 2018 or 2019. We're so busy, it's hard to answer the phone! :-)

• paltmaie
    Autor original
    el último año

Well, Ive decided to stay with Rutt. Crowne Point also estimated a similar price. Havent decided between Rutt Classic or Regency - I'll have to see tge differences in a store to know, vis a vis the price difference. I was rather shocked to discover Regency even has a particle board option. I thought that was verboten for quality cabinets. @Rutt Quality Cabinetry, could you comment on that?

• nycbluedevil_gw
    el último año

When I redid my city kitchen in 2012, I was all set to go with Rutt Regency but at the last minute I changed to Rutt Classic. the difference was in the small details. i cant,remember them all now. The differences I can remember—matching drawer interiors (so I have these gorgeous walnut drawer interiors), more refined hinges, lip of upper cabinet boxes is flush with bottom shelf.

paltmaie agradeció a nycbluedevil_gw
  • loobab
    el último año

paltmaie-

Why not invite Verbo into this thread? Verbo knows a lot about kitchens.

• paltmaie
    Autor original
    el último año

How do i invite verbo? Just with a tag? @Verbo?

• btydrvn
    el último año

To get a more clear understanding..compare the prices of other things 22 years ago….like what was your yearly income…how much was a quart of milk….what was minimum wage…were tennis shoes $100-$300?….in fact i am convinced we wont even have “wood” cabinets for our kitchens in 22 years🤷🏼‍♀️…then just feel blessed….that you can afford them at todays prices..

paltmaie agradeció a btydrvn
  • kculbers
    el último año

When I had my kitchen renovated a few years ago (pre- Covid), I chose “Plain & Fancy” for my kichen cabinetry. My seasoned and licensed carpenter also loves installing “Plain & Fancy” cabinets: excellent quality, no issues. I chose painted: Vista Gray. I am so happy I chose this brand in my “Forever Home “.

paltmaie agradeció a kculbers
  • paltmaie
    Autor original
    el último año

Now that I've delved into Rutt Regency vs Classic at a showroom, I've realized what I got in 1999 is best called Original, since it seems to be a cross between Regency and Classic.

Since I'm planning maple, Regency with all plywood construction works well for me - it's pretty close to Original, which I've loved in my kitchen for 22 years. I plan undercounter lighting so dont want a flush lower edge to the uppers, etc.

So I hope it all prices out ok.

• jals6
    el último año

I had rut cabinetry put in almost forty years ago. After hard wear it’s time to remodel. My source for Rutt cabinetry was no longer available in my area. We visited the Crowne Point Cabinetry showroom and fell in love with their cabinets. Pricey but outstanding quality. And they work with you to help you get the look you want to achieve.
    My kitchen is double the size, C-shaped 10.5 x 23 feet so in the larger size. With a large center island. I have painted perimeter wall cabinets and counters and a natural wood island 9.5-10.5 with overhang. I feel I did well and have several nice features included. Similarly to your feelings, I am not trying to impress anyone, I just want to have a warm Victorian country kitchen feel.
    Good luck. Rutt was excellent. I like the Crowne Point even better. I think they will hold up better.

• nycbluedevil_gw
    el último año

I have Rutt classic and have undercabinet lighting. I dont see the issue.

• paltmaie
    Autor original
    el último año

@nycbluedevil_gw

didn't mean to imply there was a problem with Classic, of course. I think i misunderstood your earlier comment anout the base being flush. Anyway, it's all good - we're both clearly Rutt afficianados!

• spagano
    el último año

@kculbers, I think I might have told you this in another thead but - I LOVE your kitchen. It looks so serene.

• kculbers
    el último año

Spagano: thank you!!

• Usuario de Houzz-560151524
    hace 4 meses

My husband and I built our home in 1972 that is 50 years ago. Our Rutt kitchen cabinets look like new.. Never a single problem. People are always complimenting it, they think it is a new kitchen. 26 doors and 10 drawers . I can not even image what it would cost in 2023. But never once sorry for going Rutt.

• btydrvn
    hace 4 meses

I think that says a little more about good maintenance ..for cabs to last 50 years…plus…I wonder if people stay in place that long these days?…also figure in what type of use ..family?…retired couple?…or plans to move for retirement?…or are there definite plans to sell in the future?..all of these variables have to be considered….altho’ if you can afford the”best”…why not?…lastly the value of the home and prestige of the area will affect the value gained from better cabinets..but will likely be a good selling point in any case

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.