Houzz Logo Print
jay_taylor94

White Island - brown cabinets?

Hunter Taylor
hace 2 años

How do people feel about brown coffee cabinets and White Island ?

Something like below : similar quartz backsplash and countertop.

Comentarios (45)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    hace 2 años

The white island certainly lightens things up here. I'd like to see that white in other areas of the kitchen as well - like on the walls. Looks nice to me.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

This is a stock photo….I was wondering if I should do this. My quartz (backsplash and countertop) is definitely less busy and whiter….thoughts ?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    hace 2 años

I think the concept could work quite well. If you go this route, I'd do a white backsplash and white walls to tie it together, unless your counter is already white -- then you could do something subtly jazzy on the splash (but not that mosaic like the picture!)

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Agreed - the counter and backsplash is almost a light beige (not busy) quartz. I think if the island matched the warm white color of the countertop. It would look good…..

• jck910
    hace 2 años

Post a picture of your kitchen. Personally I don't care for the bright white island with the brown I would like an off white towards a beige

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Agreed.

• chloebud
    hace 2 años

Agree the island white should be softer, and paint the walls the same soft white.

• J T
    hace 2 años

Top question: how well lit is your kitchen? The dark cabinets will create a more cozy feel. From a resale perspective, white is preferred to dark. White cabinets always give the illusion of more space and more light and homebuyers love that. That said, do you have lots of windows with natural light streaming in? If yes, then it may be ok for perimeter cabs to be dark with white island. If you have a smaller kitchen with limited light I recommend figuring out how to make it a more well lit space and then think about cabinet colors

• J T
    hace 2 años

Here’s an idea for you that lets you marry both dark and white. These are inset cabinets and both inset and cab colors are personal taste but it appears to work well in this kitchen. I personally faced the same decision you do and am going with a dark island with white perimeter cabs to maximize light and feeling of spaciousness in kitchen.

• PRO
    Lori Designs
    hace 2 años

The white island certainly makes the room a little lighter. It looks like it would be a good idea, just maybe incorporate some more white in either the backsplash or the walls.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 2 años

It's a nice twist on what is typical... You will need to have good light in there. You could also consider doing the wall cabinets in white as well

Sorry - its a little rough!

• Betty S.
    hace 2 años

Perhaps bring the 2 finishes together with a waterfall counter on the island.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

☝🏼I would cry every morning I came down to see this unfortunate collaboration of materials and texture.

• vinmarks
    hace 2 años

I don't like it. It looks like someone got new perimeter cabinets but didn't change the island out.

• Betty S.
    hace 2 años

You've nailed it. The small white island looks sad.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

why don't you post a pic of your actual cabinets and countertop? why would you post something that is 'similar', but not yours? Your saying yours is less busier, whiter, more beige,,,,, Is your flooring identical to the pic? what about the wall color and lighting?

I don't understand why people asking for help w/their space, post pictures of another space.

• plf12652
    hace 2 años

Dated

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I mean - if I had already created my space to take pictures why would I ask for advice ????

My entire kitchen is being demo’s and I am looking for cabinets and an island - the cabinets we picked (for now) are coffee color and so is the island. I was trying to get thoughts here on if I could perhaps go beige on the island. I’ll have a lot of white 4000k light (natural and recess) and a off white quartz countertop and backsplash.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Oh and have no clue about floor tiles either but for sure will pick something white and light…..I need help !!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

you never said that. You never said it was being demo'ed.

you said,

My quartz (backsplash and countertop) is definitely less busy and whiter….thoughts ?

the counter and backsplash is almost a light beige (not busy) quartz. I think if the island matched the warm white color of the countertop. It would look good…..

To me, it sounded like you were trying to redo what you currently have to look like the picture.

So the cabinets you picked are 'coffee color, along w/the island" ? Do you have a pic of the cabs you picked? the style?

picture of the off-white quartz you picked?

picture of the space it's going into?

(we have no idea how large this island is going to be, if it will have seating, if it will be part of the existing living room, or what the overall style is going to be)

for example, if you had a open concept style like this smaller kitchen, with a lot of light, and an island like this, then I think you could go w/the white. bring in the wood stools like this to tie into the wood cabs (pretend these navy blue are darker wood and you'll get the idea)

is it going to be a smaller L layout like the pic you posted? or something diff?

are the cabs going to the ceiling?

This is why I asked what your kitchen looks like. these are all examples w/diff sized kitchens, islands and color combos

all espresso color w/white counter (is this your coffee color you're talking about? or something lighter?)

these are alder. another one w/a lot of light and simple island.

so are you choosing the darker espresso or something like this coffee color?

These were from another poster on here. she went w/the Alder cabs and Blue Roma quartzite.

If you did this color cab, I'd keep it all the same and choose this countertop and light oak floors.

Or, this is a better option; darker island, lighter perimeter cabs. notice how the wood window compliments the wood island

this one is equally nice.

is it too late to do white cabs w/just the espresso island? is your island this size or smaller?

compare that above, w/this.

Here's a beige color

a soft blue/gray island

soft sage color

White with granite

this one isn't too bad, but it has a darker countertop

mostly soft greige w/one espresso fridge area

Cambria quartz w/white and espresso

I don't care for either of these

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años

If you want light/bright on the island with your coffee cabs, consider going in this direction, with a light waterfall counter and light bar stools. You notice the light wood detail on these white barstools and the lighter wood flooring.

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años

A few more views:

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años

A white island could work here:

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años

Another possibility. Not white - but light.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@beth you are right - you need a lot more info than I am giving you.

This post is super help-full anyways.

Let me collect some info and post in a few hours !

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

This is the cabinet color we picked and on the right are the two choices for the island.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Better pic of the island - only difference is will have an overhang on two sides - we would like 6 chairs.

• artistsharonva
    hace 2 años

When doing different color combos for cabinets.

I prefer the lighter for talls & walls & the darker for bases or island.

I think it just visually helps the island feel more grounded vs floating.

I also like the lighter colors on walls to feel brighter & more spacious in most scenarios.

So many post on how to make their kitchen lighter when they have dark cabinets with a shorter ceiling or all the way up to ceiling.

Occasionally a high ceiling or valuted with lots of windows is fine to go darker on perimeters, with a darker island.

Of course, what matters most is what you like.

I would find 3 photos of kitchen you like for inspiration & guidance.

It can be overwhelming seeing so many options in a showroom.

By having your photos with you, it will help others help you envision your vision & help you choose YOUR favorite.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 2 años

Not sure about that island. It seems like an afterthought. I don't think I would do that in a lighter color while everything else was dark. It doesn't have enough presence for that. If you want to do 2 color, do a hi low set up - something like these:

Just something to think about

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

We switched things around (cream cabinets and coffee island)…. Can someone advise on these tiles ? What if I got similar tiles but with a higher degree of beige in it (this seems to have a higher degree of grey)

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Some more pics

1. My quartz on the countertop and the backsplash is mostly white. Not busy at all.
      2 still undecided on wall color

• J T
    hace 2 años

Can you please post pics of your countertop and backsplash? I think you made a wise choice to go with dark island and light perimeter; definitely the preferred resale value choice (even if this is your forever home). Are you planning to paint the room next door (with rust wall color) as well?

• Kendrah
    hace 2 años

(Not following the comments below, just answering your question.) It feels heavy and dated. I don't mind dated so much if you don't care about trends, but I still don't think it is a good look. I'd rather see white cabinets and brown island if you are committed to doing this color combo.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@JT I don’t have pics of the counter top and backsplash. They are quartz and mostly white with a little graining and design.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

wait until countertop is in, and then choose backsplash

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@beth I figure to put the same quartz for the backsplash. Any thoughts on flooring ?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

flooring? that flooring in the pic isn't staying?

are you going w/the Calacatta Laza quartz?

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@Beth H. :

yes on the quartz for both counter top and backspash.

This flooring was recommended to me - this pic is not my kitchen - the guy I am buying from sent me these. I defn am getting the beige counter top - not 100% convinces on the flooring.....would you recommend soemthing ?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

depends on what else you have going on in your house. is the flooring in the kitchen going throughout the other rooms?

would need to see the room (s) where this new flooring is going. if it's just going to be in the kitchen, what is the other flooring?

why are you getting a beige countertop?? do you think you need beige because the cab color is creamier? (you don't)

This is a porcelain slab that looks like marble. would be gorgeous w/your cabinets since this has the warmer gold veins in it.

similar cabinets w/Alaska White granite and darker oak flooring

that's why I asked if you were getting the calacatta Laza. (it's in that one pic) This would be fine w/your cabinet color

this is "TajMajal quartzite. if you can find a slab that is warmer toned like this one, it would look nice w/your cabinets. I would do a lighter white oak flooring w/this one, or the ones above

Black Horse granite

Blue Roma quartzite. You could do a light or darker wood floor w/this one

this is Cielo Blue that's been leathered or honed

what kind of countertops have you looked at? take both doors with you when shopping for countertop.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Let me get back to you with some more pics around the room.

I plan to have and keep the mainly wood oak natural finish flooring in the rooms around the kitchen. We want tile in the kitchen and we also would want the tile to be super dark….I’ll post some questions.

I actually had a question about breaking a wall to. So pics coming.

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Here is the current footing around the kitchen and the old tile.

Also would you cut out the wall between the kitchen and living room to create and open kitchen? Thoughts ?

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Should have mentioned - the carpet in the family room will be gone relaxed with the same kind of wood you see in the entrance and living room

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

The. Bring i. The same wood into the kitchen. It will look great. They can lace in the same species and size and stain everything on site.
    As for the wall, should you? I do t know. Do you want to ?
    Hard to tell from the pics.
    That should have been decided before the kitchen was done, no?

• Hunter Taylor
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

We really want tile.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.