Houzz Logo Print
julie_mccloskey

What is a good paint color that is grey & beige

Julie McCloskey
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

Redoing my living room and have dark hard wood floors with a blue, grey and taupe rug. Couch is light colored greige with 2 blue grey chairs. Fireplace, shutters and molding are white. Having a hard time picking a color that compliments the room and doesnt make the walls look dull and dirty.

Thank you for the replies and help!! Here are some pictures.

picture 1 is fabric of couch with Edgecomb gray I was looking at:) to similar? I want to possibly take this color throughout my house

pictute 2 - rug with hardwood floor and blue fabric for chairs

Evening

couch tan/gray fabric which will be against large no window wall blue/gray fabric for chairs next to window

Comentarios (45)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

White.

If your walls look drab and dingy: 1) you don’t have enough light, and/or 2) your furnishings (grey/blue/taupe) and your dark hardwood are reflected on the wall color.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Mary Elizabeth
    hace 2 años

Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray - just enough "color", and picks up beige or gray, depending on what else is in the room. Not at all drab, like a "cool" grey. I used it with Benjamin Moore Vapor for cabinets and trim. Works well with wood.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Mary Elizabeth
  • kandrewspa
    hace 2 años

BM Edgecomb Gray and SW Accessible Beige are the most popular greiges, but if those colors are too close to the color of your furniture that will be a boring look. To go lighter I suggest BM Classic Gray which contrary to its name isn't too gray. Since you haven't posted any pictures we're all having to guess a little bit here. Whatever you do, sample before you commit to painting the whole room. Every color, but especially greige, is going to look different depending on the type of light in your room. It also may be a good time to think about the lighting in the room if you haven't thought about it in a while and you feel like the room is dark.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a kandrewspa
  • chloebud
    hace 2 años

Just posting this since I saw it today.

https://julieblanner.com/greige-paint-colors/

Julie McCloskey agradeció a chloebud
  • pricklypearcactus
    hace 2 años

I've seen a lot of people rave about Benjamin Moore Pale Oak as well.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a pricklypearcactus
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

correct, no yellow! you want cooler, blue or slightly red undertones.

these ought to be enough to choose from

some darker combos in case you want to paint a cabinet, doors, accent wall,,,Snowbound is the perfect white (slightly pink undertone which will work w/your brown floors)

coventry gray may be too green. depends on your light.

these warmer gray tones are nice. I have LightPewter in my kitchen. On the Rocks is a perfec gray that isn't blue or yellow.

pick what you like, bring home some samples, and see how they look

paint out the gold in this surround. I wouldn't keep the mirror either. do some art.

any plans for this fireplace mantle? I think redoing it with something like this, 10X better

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Beth H. :
  • Melissa R
    hace 2 años

my fav greige is SW Popular Grey

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Melissa R
  • Julie McCloskey
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful comments and advice! Beth thanks for all the time you took to add so many color options and dos and donts for the mantle This is the first time using this app and loving it! Thank You all so much!!!

• K R
    hace 2 años

The Poplar gray looks really good! If you want a lighter “vanilla gray” as I call it try BM Classic Gray. It’s a neutral white/gray.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a K R
  • K R
    hace 2 años

Classic gray

Julie McCloskey agradeció a K R
  • twocats
    hace 2 años

Like most people on here, I would also go for a light, warm grey. It will look good with your dark floor and your white trim and shutters. Good luck with your project!

Julie McCloskey agradeció a twocats
  • sandyhenn
    hace 2 años

almost my whole house is painted in BM Balboa Mist. Great greige that changes in each room depending on the light.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a sandyhenn
  • paddlerchick
    hace 2 años

White would be my choice. Although popular, I think greys look dirty. You could use a very white, white on the trim and a warmer white on the walls. I've just spent the last year repainting our entire house where the seller had painted every wall and celing with Agreeable Grey. My life has been miserable as most rooms where I went lighter have take 3-4 coats (including a coat of Kilz) to cover it. Really a pain and when you see the grey next to the lighter colors as you paint, you realize how dirty the grey looks. My two cents.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a paddlerchick
  • boxingdaybabe
    hace 2 años

I have painted a whole house in Edgecombe Grey and my most recent home in Pale Oak...I prefer Pale Oak. Both are Benjamin Moore. It's a great neutral and goes with all my accessories, which I change with each season. I also have dark floors. Good luck!

Julie McCloskey agradeció a boxingdaybabe
  • dorothymooney
    hace 2 años

If you want a gray/beige color, go with Ben Moore Revere Pewter. It's BM's most popular color and it's dead center between gray and beige. It's a warm color too, which you need with all that gray and blue. It also looks great with white trim.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a dorothymooney
  • atortorici07
    hace 2 años

I would paint most of the walls with Pure White7005 from SW and the accent wall withGauntlet Gray 7019 SW

Julie McCloskey agradeció a atortorici07
  • Mary Wiggenhorn
    hace 2 años

I have used BM Bunny gray in the past and it worked quite well.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Mary Wiggenhorn
  • kautry
    hace 2 años

I have similar colors in a guest room and used Benjamin Moore aura ” Worn Leather Shoes”, a rich color thatcworked well with the taupes, grays and blue

Julie McCloskey agradeció a kautry
  • Ana Maria Suarez
    hace 2 años

I agree that the paint chips is too yellow/green undertone. Have you read Maria Killiam's blog re grey & white paints? She is a true color expert. https://mariakillam.com/?s=wall+undertones

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Ana Maria Suarez
  • Usuario de Houzz-966718201
    hace 2 años

Stay away from yellow tones. We have used BM Silver Satin in many rooms now. It goes with everything and has no yellow undertones (that I can see). In my guest room it is accented with light blue/green spread and drapes. In our mbr we have navy: white accents. In yet another room we’ve used beige accents.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-966718201
  • Usuario de Houzz-966718201
    hace 2 años

One more thing, we’ve used Edgecomb Gray and Pale Oak. They definitely have yellow undertones.,

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-966718201
  • aniluap2
    hace 2 años

People can suggest colors, but you need to experience them in your room, since each location is unique depending on the light exposure. Colors look different during the day and night as well, so you need to put samples up on the wall and look at them at different times of the day. In certain light conditions, what may look gray in the store. might look pale blue or mint green, depending on the tints used to make it, since those are the colors pulled out of the light spectrum in that exposure.
    If you like the color of your griege fabric sample you can take it to the paint store and they can make you a custom sample to match it, and that service is free. You might want to try that and see if you like it.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a aniluap2
  • eurekahd
    hace 2 años

We used Revere Pewter (matte) in our south-facing living room, with Simply White (semigloss) trim and Gray Owl (flat) on the ceiling and really love the combination (all Benjamin Moore). Collingwood is almost a lighter version of Revere Pewter, if you find RP too dark in your space.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a eurekahd
  • Kimberly Jessee-Weir
    hace 2 años

I also have Revere Pewter in my home. I have Wolf Gray above my mantle inside some trim and crown molding, and an accent wall in my living room. I only will use Benjamin Moore paint (not a spokesman just a fan) because it holds up to kids and pets without chipping,fading or anything! I have navy blue accents like pillows and a blue and white striped chair. I’ve been living with this color scheme for years and absolutely love it!

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Kimberly Jessee-Weir
  • paperdiva
    hace 2 años

Sherwin Williams White Dove is a really nice griege paint color. i painted my whole house with it. it looks great with my dark brown/grey floors and carpets that also has browns and greys in it.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a paperdiva
  • felizlady
    hace 2 años

I would get several (5-8) very light gray color chip cards at the paint store to bring home and see in your space, but keep them away from the yellowish walls. Watch for undertones.
    How do they look with the greige sofa? The rug? The floors?

Julie McCloskey agradeció a felizlady
  • stellarceline
    hace 2 años

I think it might be too much gray if you do walls a similar color. I would go with a white (like White Dove) and also bring in some color in your art, plants, throw pillows, etc. (Unless you really like the all neutrals monochromatic work!)

Julie McCloskey agradeció a stellarceline
  • krystalmoon2009
    hace 2 años

i got samples of pale oak, balboa mist and edgecomb gray and they were all to gray in the room I was looking to paint. southwest facing family room, lots of natural light. I moved sample board to my bedroom and edgecomb gray is a possibilty in there. Seeing a little more of the beige I was looking for.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a krystalmoon2009
  • PRO
    lisedv
    hace 2 años

I would opt for BM Balboa Mist, it's has a warm grey touch and I find it coordinates better with your samples.Chantilly Lace is a nice crisp white that is good for ceiling and trim, and goes well with Balboa Mist.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a lisedv
  • CHarlotte
    hace 2 años

Sherman Wiliams Uterly Beige is a beautify neutral I have dark HW floors and looks great (‘d say it’s toward taupe beige—NO YELLOW)

Julie McCloskey agradeció a CHarlotte
  • Sharma
    hace 2 años

Hello Julie,

Beautiful floors by the way! When I first looked at your photo the fireplace caught my eye. It is the major focal point of the room, of course. I’d paint the fireplace wall a darker color, such as the blue colors in Beth H’s examples to complement your chairs and rug. A darker color would highlight the fireplace mantle. As for the other walls, the suggestions by Beth H. are also very good. Perhaps just a hint of gray/cream to differentiate the white molding and shutters. Then I’d find a large, bold, colorful print to place above the fireplace (or rest on the mantle) and use brass candle holders and perhaps a brass frame around the artwork with a small plant or blue, glass vase opposite the candle holders. A large plant, real or artificial, in a corner next to the fireplace would add some greenery to the room in a complementary gray-colored pot. Beth H. also suggested modifying the fireplace, I would suggest using tile on the firebox around the inset only or even peel & stick wallpaper that resembles tile. I don’t know if your flooring is vinyl planks or engineered hardwood, but if you have pieces left over perhaps building a 3-sided box to set atop the mantle (attaching to wall from underneath) to give some contrast to the all-white mantle. Don’t know if you plan to use a coffee table, but if so, maybe one with a black metal base (or wrought iron) and glass top.

Don’t keep us in suspense, post photos once finished! 😊

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Sharma
  • Julie McCloskey
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@mxk3 z5b_MI

The sample paint color showing is actually BM Edgecomb Grey. Photos dont always show true color however it does show most yellow, 2nd black, then Red then grey in paint breakdown. I sampled it on my wall and agree with comments that I need a warmer color. May try BM Reere Pewter or go with SW Accessible Beige. I want to possibly bring this color to the rest of my home and my kitchen has warmer tones.

• Sandra Lundgren
    hace 2 años

I've used Balboa Mist from Benjamin Moore. I like it, but it may be lighter than what you are looking for.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Sandra Lundgren
  • acowher
    hace 2 años

Try Silverplate by Sherwin Williams. I have it throughout my house and it compliments both my cherry wood floors and gray furniture.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a acowher
  • Nina Dee
    hace 2 años

Horizon by BM (NoT horizon grey)

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Nina Dee
  • Laura
    hace 2 años

Try Shoreline by Ben Moore. Those fabrics are the colors I have in my living room (yes a blue velvet sofa from MG+BW) and it is a perfect neutral light grey

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Laura
  • sxb2053
    hace 2 años

We have both Shoreline and Pale Oak in our home. Paint chips are fine up to a point of winnowing down to the finalists, but I bought sample cans of the ‘contenders’ and painted hunks of discarded drywall (ours was a new home) that were a decent size. I moved them around the target areas at different times of day to see how they performed under changing light conditions. It was very telling. I’m glad I did.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a sxb2053
  • Jj J
    hace 2 años

SW Alpaca is a lovely, soft greige color in my house. Some say it leans purplish which is not my experience with it in the Pacific Northwest.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Jj J
  • Cath_space
    hace 2 años

Sherwin Williams Versatile Gray

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Cath_space
  • Mari Nicholson
    hace 2 años

SW Accessible Beige is a beautiful neutral that goes with both warm and cool colors. On the cooler side SW Agreeable Gray.

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Mari Nicholson
  • Julie McCloskey
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you all for your very helpful comments....Narrowing it down to SW Balanced Beige and Accessible Beige. Furniture I ordered in taking a lot longer so wont have pictures of the room with furniture till April/May:( . Will keep you posted as plan to paint end of March. Also, plan to work on the fireplace:) . Thank you all again and still appreciate any comments you with to share.

• Melissa R
    hace 2 años

SW Accessible Beige

SW Balanced Beige

Julie McCloskey agradeció a Melissa R
  • George Neuendorf
    hace 2 años

SW Agreeable gray will cover your gray,blue and beige flow

Julie McCloskey agradeció a George Neuendorf
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

Julie McCloskey agradeció a decoenthusiaste
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.