Houzz Logo Print
janelle_hicks

Cheapish Curb Appeal Ideas??

Janelle H
hace 2 años

I'm working in this house, the inside is going to be freshly updpated. What would you do to spruce up the outside, for under $1000?

Comentarios (35)

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Merely a start - remove shrubs, or prune. The entry door is at the side? do you have any Spanish/ Mediterranean vibe? What about accent tiles, in a great place, and design.

• Janelle H
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Entry door is in the middle on the right, kind of perpendicular to the street. I wouldn't say spanish or Mediterranean too much, maybe a little? There is at least one arched doorway and both bathrooms will have patterned tile. Original pine hardwood floors and white/ marble/ pale blue/ butcher block in the kitchen.

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

What's the roof color? plantings could repeat and blend - there's feather grass that is earthy rhubarb berry...., etc. maybe for secondary near the tree...

• Janelle H
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Actually we just finished a new roof I haven't gotten photos yet. It's a grayish color.

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

I just noticed the great spot for statement entry light.... ?

• Janelle H
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Yes we could do a nicer entry light. I'm not sure what would look good.

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

A few angles going on - might like softening grasses -

Mary-Liz Campbell Landscape Design · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Is that stucco?

• Janelle H
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Yes stucco

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Showing photos of entire front, and entire yard, and even 1 from way back is good.

• Janelle H
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I'll go get more tomorrow

• everdebz
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Online: "How do you grand up an entry? The Red Grass Palm's unique characteristics can attract the eye and direct people to an entry point. Be careful with this application however, as the Grass Palm will certainly reach heights of 10 plus feet eventually, so plan for the future! tropical, southwestern, or modern. It can be used in pots or in the landscape. It’s lush, but drought-tolerant."

https://www.budgetplants.com/plant-blog/red-grass-palm/

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Lantana on wiki says height can be 2.5 - 6 feet. Pretty colors.

• Rachel Lee
    hace 2 años

Paint a clean white, remove the stone making planting beds. Sod the lawn and use colorful plants in pretty pots.

• Fori
    hace 2 años

Cute house, nice trees.

$1k is a lot if you are DIYing but not so much if you're hiring the work out...

The concrete ribbons in the lawn make me think of a converted garage. I'd pull those out.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    hace 2 años

No specific plant recommendations ought to be made until we know the location. Until then only design suggestions are useful. I do agree totally with getting rid of the stacked concrete blocks.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 2 años

Are you flipping, renting or living in it?

1. pull all the shrubs

2. get rid of al those pavers acting as a garden bed

3. re seed the lawn

4. paint the trim

5. get rid of all the dangling wires.

6. put trim around the square windows

7. if you can diy paint it off white do so.

8. house numbers.

You cannot put a hanging light in that entry it would hang too low and feel looming, I would go for a slender flush mount wall light instead.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 2 años

I'd disagree that $1000 will get you very far, even DIY'ing. I can easily spend that much annually on new plants and garden supplies! Exterior renovations do not come that cheap.

Get rid of the blocks, remove the concrete in the lawn and work on lawn improvement and add a couple of light fixtures....there won't be much left of the $1K after that but what there is, invest in some permanent landscaping.

btw, DON'T pull all the shrubs until a) you know what they are and how to deal with them; or b) have the funds to be able to replace them with preferred choices. Ripping out healthy, functional and prunable shrubs is the equivalent of throwing $$ away!!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 2 años

I disagree that those shrubs are functional in those locations. get rid of them. especially the one on the far right.

• Lynjen25
    hace 2 años

That arch window on the left is missing its chance to shine with the trim being painted the same color as the house. IMO that window is one of the best features you have going, it should be amped up with contrasting trim color. Something like Urbane Bronze (similar to what you have as existing trim color elsewhere? it’s hard to tell) might work with White or creamy white color for the body of the house. In addition to trimming the shrubs and removing the pavered edging, proper steps/landing across the center opening (assuming the entry door is off to the right there?) would make a big difference.

• la_la Girl
    hace 2 años

I would be tempted to trim up bush in front of the window, lay sod ($$ but is usually a game changer) add a large statement urn with eye catching flowers at the base of the ramp on the left -

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

On houzz, for information: "If you are facing your own staircase challenge, Karcher advises readers to consider the rest of their home’s exterior. Is your house simple and modern? If so, choose something a little more understated with clean lines, she says. Or is your house older and elaborate? If so, consider something more ornate and decorative, such as paved steps or an ironwork railing."

• pricklypearcactus
    hace 2 años
    • Remove the falling down block planter
    • Remove or tie up the dangling wires
    • Remove the extra cement unless you need it for parking. You can break it up with a sledge hammer and haul it away.
    • Remove the temporary ramp
    • Remove the broken vertical blinds inside
    • Remove the satelite dish if you can
    • Re-seed and revitalize the lawn
    • Replace the light fixture with something more bold that fits the style of the house
    • Create some flower beds around the foundation of the house and plant perenial flowers
    • Paint the house (white) if it's within your budget
  • everdebz
    hace 2 años

houzz: "The design team paired the cambara with PVC trim [for stair risers], because it resists sunlight, holds paint well and is easy to work with, Squier says. The PVC also wards off rot and insects, he says, making it a perfect wood substitute in areas exposed to water and sun that sit close to the ground. PVC risers used to create this small staircase."

-------- if you get snow, I think they say should be concrete stairs.

---- like this photo, what about stones between 2 concrete walkways [from the sidewalk]? and remove 1 at the left.

North Chatham New Construction · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

You could also have groundcover between the 2 long walkways somehow... but with stones too?

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

On concrete a bit to the left of entry area? W 20.87"/ H 39" / 22 lbs.

It's $224.

Outdoor 2-Tier Pedestal Waterfall Fountain · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

for $236.

20.5" x 36.5"

Outdoor Stone-Look 3-Tier Floor Fountain Gray · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Is an outdoor rug in the open space practical?

Harper 5'3"W x 7'6"L Power-Loomed Mali Area Rug in Tanzania · Más información

Marina Tribal Stripe Indoor/Outdoor Rug, Gold, 3'3"x4'11" · Más información

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 2 años

just get back to square one, paint, and add window frames to match trim new black mailbox and house numbers.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 2 años

The cheapest way is DIY painting. Get inexpensive spray and paint with white color.

I would plant some shrubs or flowers between paths and trim existing trees.

• nickel_kg
    hace 2 años

The house is already a pleasant rich cream color and goes well with its roof -- painting it white would not be an improvement, IMHO, so spend your money elsewhere. Other than that lots of good ideas above.

• PRO
    The Wonder Ways
    hace 2 años

It seems like this would work really well with a mid-century modern style, so you do not need to have a lot going on. I would say a contrasting color for the trim, door, and windows. Something like turquoise or orange. Planters that tie your colors together would be great, some taller ones that create visual levels. Finding a way to put up some string lights always makes a place seem more fun and romantic in my opinion. I can’t see the tree but that might be a good place for them? There are some great solar ones out there. Gravel between the cement lines would be low maintenance. Obviously, trim the plants, but I would wait to add other plants last.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    hace 2 años

The existing paint color may not work as OP stated they put on a grey roof.

It may need repainted.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.