Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Eglantyne or Sceptre d Isle

oursteelers 8B PNW
hace 2 años

I am sitting here in the middle of a snow globe and am comtemplating adding on of these to my DA order.

I have used my gift card so this would be an ”extra”

For my yard I had to have a few-Winchester Cathedral (still trying for that perfect white) Boscobel (fragrance) and Princess Alex of Kent (fragrance). I wasn’t super excited about these but they were ones I really need for my vision of the garden.

I am kind of excited about both Eglantyne and SdI so should I add one to the order or should I wait for next years birthday certificate?

Anything you love or hate about either? For me, fragrance is the number one attribute.

My lilacs and peonies better be loving all this snow!

Comentarios (52)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Jen, those pictures are amazing. Yeah, I really shouldn’t get any right now but I am trapped in this snowglobe and my resolve is weakening. I can be irreaponsible for one but I can’t do two!

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Oursteelers, as you know, we'll have to agree to disagree about PAoK, and I have some good pics of that rose, but they don't make up for the awful downsides. I feel very satisfied with Boscobel, which is a much better rose for me. I've had long years of experience with Eglantyne, which I've grown in two different locations since the year she came on the market---a total of four different plants. Her best attributes are beauty and scent. The plant itself is very tough and cold resistant. She tends to rest during periods of heat, and I rarely put her beautiful blooms in a bouquet because of short stems. So, after about 30 years I'm still growing Eglantyne. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Diane, your commentaries on Eglantyne are why it’s even on my radar. I had planned to get both SdI and Eglantyne with Christmas money but this year the kids went hosta heavy.

Not that I’m complaining, I love them too, I just need to adjust my timeline a bit!

And since Austin discontinues roses, I was also wondering if there was one more likely to be kicked to the curb sooner rather than later

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Oursteelers, I forgot to tell you how beautiful your snowy scenes are. The dramatic lighting really brings out the lovely snow and the structures it covers. Are you getting lots of snow like we are? I just went on the DA website and noticed the English Roses listed for sale had lots missing. So I did a search of three and found that Eglantyne is still in stock, but not listed; Evelyn is out of stock; and Brother Cadfael is out of stock. But you can get on a waiting list for BC. Forgot to look to see if you could be put on a list for Evelyn. I'm sure there are many more that come up on a search and may be in stock--or not. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank uou Diane! Usually I’m not good at snow, sunrise and sunset pics but I liked these. We are getting SO MUCH snow! I love it but my oldest who leaves tomorrow to go back to Pittsburgh is very worried about her fligjt getting canceled-I think it will be fine though.

It’s snowing now but it’s only supposed to go for an hour or two and then we should be done.

When I go on the DA website I already know what I want so i just type the name in the search bar so i didn’t realize they weren’t advertising Eglantyne. Do you think they might be discontinuing it?

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

@oursteelers 8B PNW first off beautiful snow scene!!! love ut!

I have both, i have to say that eglantyne had been very disappointing so far. it inly had one flush, its barely 2ft tall and weak as can be. she is on my hit list.

i also have SI and while she was still on her first year she still managed to push to flushes out.

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

I don't know what DA is up to, but I'd keep my eye on Eglantyne if you want her. She could disappear. DA is so unpredictable. They still can't figure out what to do about Evelyn after years of dithering. Do they sell her, or don't they? Too many people want her and DA's greed index keeps them "sort of" offering her. A couple of years ago, a search revealed a horrible photo of Evelyn, and I thought by showing this, DA was discouraging buyers. Judging by that photo, I wouldn't have bought her, either. Diane

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    hace 2 años

My vote is Eglantyne as well. I have had both and Eglantyne's flowers are much more beautiful; I like the fragrance better, too (a matter of taste though). I don't know what happened to anyone else's, but my Eglantyne was taller than me by the end of her first year. She's a MASSIVE shrub--I think wider than tall, so make sure you have the space. I found it to be a pain to prune even with my gauntlet gloves, so I'd let it bush out.

Scepter'd Isle is a lot more upright than I was expecting, and I'm moving mine to the back of the border because I had no idea how tall it got. I also find the flowers to be unremarkable--darker pink than I like and with small blooms and few petals. Peter Schneider suggests putting it on a path right next to a climber because it gets almost that tall (if I'm remembering the passage from "Right Rose, Right Place" correctly). I think it'll be cute to have pops of color in the back and won't be too heartbroken about not smelling her. Bees love having access to rose stamens though, and roses that are too full probably obstruct their access :(

• Krista_5NY
    hace 2 años

Eglantyne is one of my favorite Austins, a hardy rose with beautiful wafting fragrance like rosewater. The repeat bloom is light but reliable, there are always scattered blooms in late summer and autumn.

Princess Alexandra of Kent has wonderful fragrance as well, large, sumptuous blooms.

Princess Alexandra of Kent

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Krista…..wafting fragrance. That is magic to my ears. I can pick off black spotted leaves or close my eyes to an ungainly bush bjt I can’t manufacture scent. So important to me in the garden.

Your pictures are lovely.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    hace 2 años

Dianne, I talked to the folks at DA about Evelyn. Because of your lovely photos and descriptions of her, she has been on my list for some time. I did sign up on their waiting list, but eventually decided to contact them as well. They told me that Evelyn will not be available in 2022, perhaps by the following year. They suggested I contact All My Thyme to check her availability, which I did. She has a waiting list for Evelyn as well, but promised to put me on her cancelation list. I hope to get her eventually! I'm considering Abe Darby in the meantime, even though I don't have hopes he would like my climate as well as Evelyn. Who knows? My problem is, I'm considering too many roses just now and I really should hold off on getting anymore until my yard fencing gets finished. Until then, too many of my roses will have to live in pots and I don't like that idea.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

judi, what is your climate? Just curious because I have Abe, only for a year but still he is doing wonderful!

It’s funny how different plants do in different locales.

Diane’s Colette is glorious and exuberant while mine is SO SLOW. Her Abe is a twig and mine is doing great.

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Abe is still small, but his blooms are beautiful (they don't like the heat, though), and a few drag on the ground because those little canes have a hard time supporting the heavy blooms (which are not nearly as large as Evelyn's blooms--but my Es are large plants). Abe grows a little each year, but is so slooow. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Abe Darby

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

I don't think Abe is listed on Austin's site, though a search might bring him up. I'm going to check. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I wonder if that is why Abe is doing ok, because I have so much less heat than everywhere else (the exception being the heat wave of last year)

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Abe is in stock but not listed with the main group of English roses. So you have to do a search for this rose. Diane

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    hace 2 años

Oursteelers, I am in Southern Arizona, at 4300 ft elevation, zone 8. So we live in an arid climate, but not as high temperatures as Tucson, and certainly not as high as Phoenix. However, we do have a good bit of dry heat for several months of the year. That's why I thought Evelyn might like it here better than Abe. But maybe Abe likes the dry heat too.
    Judi

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Judi, I live in a hot, dry semiarid desert, zone 7, 10 inches of precip a year. I've grown four Evelyn roses for 17 years here, and Abe Darby for about six years. I can tell you that Evelyn likes the heat better than Abe. Like may be too strong a word when it's 100 F, but let's say that Evelyn tolerates dry heat better than Abe. Other roses good in dry heat are Julia Child and Boscobel. Golden Celebration is pretty good, too. Others are Munstead Wood, in spite of her dark color, and Wild Blue Yonder, which blooms in multi colors once the heat sets in. Sorry for going off topic, Judi. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Evelyn

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    hace 2 años

If you're in the Chicago area I've consistently seen Evelyn on the Gethsemane Garden Center list for the last two years (and yes, after seeing @Diane Brakefield's Evelyn I've driven the two hours to get one)

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    hace 2 años

Thank you, Dianne, for your lovely pictures of Evelyn. I've seen that picture of your Evelyn on numerous threads and I never get tired of seeing it! I just wish I could smell it too. It has such a luscious beauty. I have a Golden Celebration that's just ready to enter its 3rd year, the year it should leap. I got it as a very small band from Annie's Annuals. It has rewarded me with a number of blooms this past summer that smelled amazing. I have Boscobel and Munstead Wood coming this spring...and I almost got Julia Child at Lowes last week. But I didn't. I'm not that crazy over yellow roses, personally, but I do like GC and your pictures and reviews of Julia Child have just about convinced me to try her! Anything that takes the heat and blooms like that is beautiful to me. I am crushing over your Twilight Zone too. Your garden photos inspire me because I think that if you can have such a beautiful garden in an arid climate, then maybe I can too.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    hace 2 años

Also, here in our area, we get between 15 and 20 inches precipitation a year. Not a big difference, but a little more than you do, Diane. Most of that rain comes during our monsoon months of July to September. Our semi-desert turns into a beautiful place during those months! I can almost see my roses smiling in August, they love it so much. The hardest month here for my gardens is June because of the hot dry winds that precede and bring on the rains.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    hace 2 años

@judijunebugarizonazn8i I added Julia Child to my High Country Roses order today thanks to Diane's ongoing great reviews and gorgeous photos! Kristine's great reviews helped encourage me, too.

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Thank you Judi and librarian. I think it's time for me to retire that photo of Evelyn! I'm getting lazy because over the years, I've taken more photos of E than any other rose I grow. Surely I can find something fresh.

Judi, your monsoon months are totally dry here. The nicest garden months for me are May and June. It was dry here from May to November when the rain finally came, followed by snow, and our drought ended. We are OK for the year. Here, we rely on mountain snow pack for our irrigation water, mainly for farmers. Homeowners in town or connected to the city system use that water for watering, and it gets expensive. My friend, who lives in the country, relies on a well for garden, house, and lawn. They use water from the irrigation system for pastures. I'm glad you're trying Golden Celebration and I hope that rose does well for you. I think I got mine around 2008, but it's hard to remember the exact year. He has proved to be one of Austin's best for me, but he started slowly.

Librarian, I'm enjoying your beautiful garden photos from 2021. I love your cottage look with minimal grass. I wish I could do that, but my son in law wants some grass and is not a rose lover. But that's OK, we all have to compromise. I hope you like Julia. We all need some good yellow roses in our gardens. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

I hope these Evelyn photos are new to you, but I won't bet on it.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    hace 2 años

Oursteelers, Your Snow Globe Photos are just stunning! ♡

I am in a hot humid climate so ymmv..Eglantyne suffered miserably here and finally croaked. It hardly flowered. People warned me so I'm not surprised lol.

Abe does well for me on Fortuniana.

Evelyn is beautiful here but does blackspot quite a bit.

Olivia, Spirit of Freedom, and James Galway are the best pink Austin bloomers here and stay very healthy. Rust here is never an issue but Black spot is so thats what I go by for "healthy foliage". Bishop's Castle does really well here too.

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

I don't have Eglantyne, but I have grown Sdl for 3 full seasons. My growing climate is maritime, with only very few days in the winter below freezing but summer temp over 90 F is also uncommon.

Sdl has a very strong myrrh fragrance. It is not my favorite but I am slowly learning to appreciate it. If you like myrrh smell, it will be great for you. It is also very healthy in my garden, without the need to spray.

In sunset zone 14 and USDA zone 9b, Sdl is a very large shrub. I have 3 standard trees, and if I don't prune them back aggressively 3 times a year, the canes can get way over 7-8 feet. The shape is very much upright - dense lower half of the bush and more sparse, upper branches that shoot up with multiple flower buds. Some said that the canes cannot support themselves, but mine could and never required any support.

As standard trees, the first year growth was rather awkward, but after 3 seasons they improved tremendously and responded well to pruning. They bloomed approximately 3 - 4 times in flushes this past year, in partial morning sun only.

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Oh these pictures make me want to play in the garden. I just got done tromping through the snow with the dogs and cats (they don’t

like it but they all have FOMO)

I found a home for SdI and Eglantyne and so far have resisted the urge to add them to my purchase. Along with Tottering by Gently will use up my birthday certificate in the fall.

I feel pretty confident SdI and TbG will not be discontinued, it’s just Eglantyne that I am worried about.

Hmmm…although now that I’m sitting here thinking about it, I think there is a peony or two where Eglantyne should go. I need this snow to melt so I can plan-my favorite winter activity.

Thanks for all the info everyone-it makes the planning more fun!

• PRO
    Top Tread Stairways
    hace 2 años

Oh wow, maybe I need SdL as well. I have never yet smelled a rose that didn't smell good to me and your pictures, Rose Lai, would make any rose lover ooh and aah. I saw Eglantyne at a nursery in Tucson not long ago and had a hard time letting her there, but I did.

Judi

• PRO
    Top Tread Stairways
    hace 2 años

I just realized that when I post on my computer, I am on my husband's account. I am sorry for the confusion. I'll need to switch accounts. I am judijunebug.

Judi

• rosecanadian
    hace 2 años

Oh my heavens!!! These rose pictures are sublime!! For what it's worth out of all of these roses, I would pick Eglantyne for sheer beauty. I don't grow it...but Diane's are fabulous!! I'm stunned by all of the rose beauty here...you all are amazing rosarians!!!

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    hace 2 años

@Rose Lai (9b) gahhhh 🤩🤩 your Sdl its amazing!!! i love standard roses, i have 2 mary roses. do you have a picture of the full tree? i would love to see how big she hot for you. thinking i may need to add another one to my garden

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

@CeresMer Zone 7a NJ thank you so much for your kind words.

It is very difficult for me to get a clear picture of the entire tree form of Sdl. The reason is that the 3 Sdl trees were planted in the north side of my house, in a narrow area approximately 64 feet long and 4 - 5 feet wide. I have 16 rose trees planted there, each separated from each other by about 4 feet. In between any 2 rose trees, I have interspersed with rose bushes on the ground. As a result, the area is very dense. The underplanted rose bushes sort of obliterated the tree form as they grow wide. During the growing season they appear to just "merge" with each other.

Maybe let me posted a more zoom out view, including Sdl but you will get an idea.

Other views of this area, not showing Sdl

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

@CeresMer Zone 7a NJ although I like my Sdl very much, I would say that they are probably more suitable to grow as a bush, rather than a tree. The reason is that it is a very tall, upright and narrow, and if the ideal standard rose is a round, well branch-out rose tree, it does not fit that category.

I have seen your post and adored your Mary Rose standard. I think Mary Rose is much more suitable as a standard tree. Sdl as a bush is probably for the back of the border as it grows tall.

Other David Austin roses that maintain a well mannered standard rose form is Charlotte, and likely Carding Mill

• rosecanadian
    hace 2 años

Rose Lai - you could rent out your space for rose pictures! I can't believe how incredible your roses are!! My heavens!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    hace 2 años

I'm a little nervous now seeing all these Scepter'd Isles--I thought mine would stay tiny and with modest little roses. Guess they'll be moving "in back" where I stick all the other giants.

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

Hi Aaron, I am in zone 9b in the SF Bay, so roses in general tend to grow larger than advertised sizes. Since you are in zone 5b, I don't think you will get the same size of Sdl as mine - maybe closer to that advertised on David Austin website which is 5 feet or shorter with winter dieback.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    hace 2 años

Lai, are you considering opening your garden in spring? I'm happy to pay for visiting it! So wonderful!

• Rose Lai (9b)
    hace 2 años

@Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a) you are welcome to visit my garden, if you happen to be in the SF Bay area next spring! Just message me. I would love to share with you the blooms.

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    hace 2 años

oursteelers 8B PNW After lots and lots of frustration with David Austin and our English style climate, I finally figured out to switch the DA website to UK and see what they offered there as doing well (They even say which ones needs spraying in English climate). Then I look at Heirloom to see if they ever offered it...guessing it will grow okay, if they ever offered it. That is how I decided Eglantyne would work. I also think she is going to go, since Heirloom no longer offers her. All of this is a guess....but the scent and button eye had me too!

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

I hardly grow roses in an English style climate. It's a hot and dry desert growing season here, and my DA roses thrive and love it. We do have to constantly irrigate with a drip system, but the dry air is conducive to healthy roses. Eglantyne thrives here, for that matter. I've grown four of her over the last 25 years. I think I did a search on Austin's site and Eglantyne is still available, but you have to search for her. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

Just checked and Austin has Eglantyne for shipping starting in Jan 2022, bare root--but you have to do a search. Diane

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    hace 2 años

@Rose Lai (9b) Thanks for inviting. I'm planning a Bay area trip in May. It will be great If it's ok to visit your amazing garden. I can't find the Message button on your page. Could you please PM me to start a thread? Oh. I feel so excited about that trip now.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    hace 2 años

@Diane Brakefield I think "you have to do a search" tends to be (maybe?) the death knell for older Austins. Eventually every single rose bred by David Austin will be "superseded" by unworthy successors. Pah!

• Diane Brakefield
    hace 2 años

I agree, but he who hesitates is lost and has lost the Austin rose on the way out. I particularly agree about the unworthy successors. Diane

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.