Houzz Logo Print
lisa_laird7370925

LVT, Pre engineered hardwood or hardwood

Lisa Laird
hace 2 años

I’m building a house and really torn on what flooring to use. I have always gone with hardwood and chosen the preferred stain. I recently purchased a home to live in while building and it has pre-engineered hardwood. However, I’m being told that I should go with the high end Luxery Vinyl Tile.
The house I’m building is very nice and I don’t want to cheapen the look by choosing the wrong flooring.
I need opinions please!! Also, i do have 4 dogs.
TIA!

Comentarios (20)

• chispa
    hace 2 años

Sometimes the choice between engineered wood floors and site finished wood floors comes down to the construction of the home and local climate. Engineered wood floors are usually done when the house is on a slab and/or the climate is humid.

If your house is on a basement or crawlspace, then my first choice would be site finished wood floors. I am building on a slab right now and went with engineered wood floors because of that.

As far as LVP, I'm not a fan of the product yet and wouldn't want it in my home right now. They have come a long way in the design and looks, but they still don't feel and sound like wood floors. Plenty of people are very happy with their choice to use LVP and you are seeing it being used in more expensive homes as time passes and builders include it as their standard flooring.

• PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    hace 2 años

Agree with the above.

1) The pre engineered hardwood tends to buckle during warm weather.

2) Use regular hardwood as first option.

3) Do install during warm weather months. Try it out in long sections

first. Look for any bucking, warping. This should be done as a test with humidity in your region prior to installing the whole floor.

• anj_p
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Who is telling you to use LVT? And why?
    We have practically every flooring type in our home... engineered wood, LVT, carpet, tile, and vinyl. Each has its use and advantages. If I had my druthers I would use site finished hardwood in the living spaces (maybe I'd keep carpet in the basement).
    The only reason I might think someone is steering you toward lvt is because of your dogs, but if you've managed with dogs before on hardwood you should already know how it works with your dogs.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 2 años

Generally hardwood for everlasting beauty.

• doc5md
    hace 2 años

We had to go with engineered hardwood due to in-floor heating. So, that might be a factor too?

• User
    hace 2 años

All things being equal in a new build, I would pick hardwood. Site finished is always my first preference, but if there is some reason engineered works better then that's fine too.

I love my wood look LVP in my beach house - but no one is going to mistake it for site finished hardwood. The nice thing about LVP is it holds up much better to the dog feet and the sand - my old hardwoods were not holding up well due to a variety of factors.

This choice comes down to personal preference, and what you value or prefer is going to be different than what someone else may value or prefer. If you search this board, you can read about a million threads on this issue and hopefully that helps you decide.

• Helen
    hace 2 años

Obviously some form of hardwood is the preferred flooring choice especially since you have always had wood flooring.

In my opinion, "luxury" vinyl tile is somewhat of a misnomer as there is nothing luxurious about it as compared to real wood. There are obviously some rooms or lifestyles in which it makes sense but you haven't indicated that any of that is a factor.

Engineered wood or factory finished isn't a terrible choice and in some situations it makes more sense than site finished solid wood. However, if you are building a home from scratch and structurally there isn't a reason not to go with site finished wood, then why not? I have factory finished engineered hardwood installed when I remodeled because logistically it made more sense and the results are fine especially since I went with a very innocuous wood as I have Chinese Deco rugs that are the stars. :-)

• Lyndee Lee
    hace 2 años

Site finished hardwood at and above ground level with
    vinyl or tile below grade. Engineered hardwood if you have slab construction. Floors are permanent so go classic and avoid extra wide planks and unnatural colors.  If you can see driftwood on a stroll around your neighborhood then go ahead and use that gray stain, otherwise stick to colors you see in nature in your area.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

IMO hardwood and dogs are never a good combo so I would rather see a goor qulity laminate or LVP than a beat up hardwood floor . I have 3 huge dogs a hardwood floor would have been destroyed years ago we have a laminate from germany on our main floor and a LVP on the wal out basement floor the dogs are in and out all day to a dog run all kinds of waether the floor s both look great even after 14 yrs . I would suggest you buy a box of the hardwood and lay it out and let the dogs go on it for a week and see what it look like I would put it right off the entry they use daily that si really the only real test. BTW I have a high end home in a high end neighborhood and asee more and more vinyl plank being installed for the same reason we went with it.

• chispa
    hace 2 años

I don't treat something like a floor surface as a precious items, they are meant to be used and will get patina and some ageing. That is life. We wear shoes in the house, I wear heels in the house and we have 2 large active dogs. I don't make workmen take their shoes off. I expect my floors to accumulate some scratches and dings and it doesn't bother me. If it bothers any visitors, then they can skip returning to the house! I don't buy anything that I think is too precious to be fully used daily by a family for years to come. Good quality wood floors can always be refinished years down the road.

Kind of like buying that fancy sports car and barely putting any miles on it. You could die tomorrow or next week and didn't enjoy your own car while you could!

• jmm1837
    hace 2 años

My vote is for engineered hardwood with a decent wear layer if the house is on a slab,  otherwise site finished hardwood.  LVT for the basement.

• itsourcasa
    hace 2 años

There's no contest, hardwood finished on site is the winner by far, always. Not knowing your location or budget I vote real hardwood. Completely agree with chispa on the wood not having to be perfect. We live in south FL so we did wood look porcelain, but anywhere else I would have chosen real wood... never even considered vinyl as I have yet to see any I have liked the look and feel of.

• Helen
    hace 2 años

Except in unusual circumstances like a beach house or other vacation place subject to grit and damp, I have NEVER seen a high end home listed as having vinyl tile in the living areas. It is always hardwood that is the most desirable type of flooring.

Obviously there are exceptions like high end porcelain or stone flooring in certain tropical settings like Florida or very architectural specific flooring that might occur in Spanish Colonial homes with saltillo floorings but those are exceptions. Some modern trendy homes might have polished concrete or a MCM in Palm Springs might have terrazzo.

But the basic upscale homes almost always have wood of some kind as the flooring with site finished solid wood being the ideal.

• elcieg
    hace 2 años

I don't know what you mean by pre-engineered.

My recommendation is factory finished engineered floors. IMO, the finish is better than if it is done on sight. It is tougher and you know what you're getting with no guessing about how a stain color will show. As for engineered, it can be refinished and it won't buckle.

• booty bums
    hace 2 años

IMO hardwood and dogs are never a good combo so I would rather see a goor qulity laminate or LVP than a beat up hardwood floor .

You must have some really destructive dogs.

My last house was over 20 years old. My current house is nearly 20 years old.

The original owners of both houses had dog(s) from day 1. We also have had a dog during our entire stay in both houses.

Neither home shows any wear/tear in the hardwood flooring related to dogs.

• User
    hace 2 años

I don't think the hardwood from today is nearly as good as the hardwood from even a few decades ago. I have small dogs - both less than 20 pounds. But they're young, like to play, and they've left some pretty amazing scratches and skitter marks in the hardwood - in 2 different homes. Yes I keep their nails trimmed, they get a quick dremel every week.

The old floors were site finished oak hardwoods. And there were spots where the scratches were getting pretty bad.

The one house in question is in a beach town, so between the dogs and the sand, the floors were very scratched up. I deliberately chose a wood look LVP and it's held up incredibly well, but no one will mistake it for site finished hardwood either. I have engineered wood in my primary home - and while they've scratched that up too, it's somewhat less noticeable because it's a matte finish, and it's pre-finished engineered, which I've heard may be somewhat harder.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    hace 2 años

Define really nice house. What do similar houses have for their floors?

• Lisa Laird
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Houses over $600k

• Helen
    hace 2 años

Of course price of a very nice home depends to a great extent on location.🤫🤫

In Los Angeles, it might buy a modest home in which laminate floors would be commensurate with neighborhood market values but I suspect that very nice in OP’s neighborhood is one that a middle to upper middle class person would be buying and the other homes at that price point would have upgraded finishes reflecting their owners’ incomes and expectations. 😀

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.