Houzz Logo Print
manthan_jamdagni

How to furnish a living room with a wall on only 1 side

Manthan Jamdagni
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

I have moved into a small apartment which has a living room having an open kitchen on one side a balcony on another and entrance on the third side leaving behind just a single wall. Now I am not able to think of how to make this a welcoming living room.
If I put a couch in front of the wall then I cannot put a TV in the room and if I put the TV in there then no place remains for the couch. The only plan I could think of is to get an L shaped couch and put the TV in front of the balcony but that might not look that great and also block the doorway to the balcony.
I am looking for suggestions around how I can furnish this room well.

Comentarios (19)

• Manthan Jamdagni
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Yes, maybe I can do a small round dining table with surrounding chairs. I don't expect a lot of people to be here, mostly a couple of friends and me. So a small one should be fine.

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años

Are there other rooms in the apartment?

• Manthan Jamdagni
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Yes, its a 1 bed/1bath apartment so there is one Bedroom as well.

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Could you use the bedroom as a bedroom/sitting room? In other words, if you had a convertible sofa bed in the bedroom, you could set the bedroom up to use as a living room when you have company. Maybe keep some stackable chairs in a corner with a throw over them when they are not in use. And you could use this area off of the kitchen and balcony as a dining area.

ETA: Here is one example of a room that is set up for bedroom/living room combo:

You could cover some stackable chairs with a throw, when the chairs are not in use:

• CNH 320
    hace 2 años

I agree with freedomplace1 about using the bedroom if possible as a sitting room/bedroom. If it was me that's what I would do. Are you going to have company over to watch TV often? If not I would just do a bed and a chair or two if they fit in the bedroom. Or you could get a bed that converts into a couch.

But if you can't do that, then maybe mount the TV on the wall where you can pull it out only when in use so it doesn't block the door. And maybe put a small table against the wall with two or three comfy chairs?

Custom Residence Design - 8,800 Square Feet · Más información

ONKRON TV Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt for Most 40-60 Inch TV up to 150 lbs · Más información

• CNH 320
    hace 2 años

I'm thinking two comfy chairs (Maybe even swivel armchairs) with a small table in between by the wall and the TV mounted by the door with a bracket like the one i posted above.

The Splendor Dining Chair, Navy, Velvet Set of 2 · Más información

LumiSource Andrew Dining Chair, Gray, Set of 2, Light Green/Black · Más información

GDF Studio Claudia Contemporary Upholstered Dining Chairs, Set of 2, Natural/Brown · Más información

Loft Living - Scottsdale, AZ · Más información

Family Room · Más información

Outdoor Living · Más información

Fortnum Parsons Chair, Set of 2 · Más información

• Olychick
    hace 2 años

I would want a small sofa in order to have a place to lounge and read or watch tv, even just for myself. Maybe even just a chaise, which tend to be narrower depth. I would put the tv on an articulating arm at one end of the long wall so it can lay flat but be swiveled out for watching, then put out of the way. Maybe a chaise/sofa like this..it can also be used for a guest bed if ever needed:

Add a comfy chair for guests, with another in the bedroom that can be pulled out to the living room when needed.

I'd look for a coffee table that converts to a dining height table:

More table ideas

• auntthelma
    hace 2 años

Tv on a corner cabinet in the corner where you have the hamper. A big chair or small sofa or chaise just for you in front of the balcony doors facing the tv. Leave space behind to use the doors. A bistro type dining set in the center. that gives seating for guests. this is not going to be the house for the gang to watch football. but it can be a spot for dinner with a friend.

odd how they made it all kitchen.

• Olychick
    hace 2 años

Here's a better pic similar to the daybed/lounge I posted above. This site is so wonky, I was fearful of editing that post:

One other to consider:

cb2

Ikea

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

Waht is the size of that whole area ?

• auntthelma
    hace 2 años

Im a big fan of flexibility in space design. I love the chaises that Oly posted. They will serve you alone as a lounge for tv watching, seat three if needed and serve as a Guest bed. They also look light weight, so you can move them as needed.

for additional flexibility, I would have a drop leaf table with two chairs in the center of the room. Two additional chairs can live in the bedroom for use when needed.

It is a small apartment. Dont over furnish it. you only need what you need.

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 2 años

Can you post the floor plan showing both spaces? You really can’t plan them independently.

• auntthelma
    hace 2 años

Good point from thinkdesign. it might make sense to dress the bedroom as a living room and have the kitchen be a kitchen. how big is the bedroom? Is the ceiling high? can we loft the bed? or storage? is there a giant closet that can be a bed chamber? studio type apartments can be fun with imagination and creativity.

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    hace 2 años

Here is a very small space we designed for a client. You might be able to place a TV on an articulating arm on the short wall by the fridge. You also might look at apartment sized furniture or a small chaise to use in the space.

Luxe Downtown Pied-A-Terre · Más información

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

Float a small apartment sized chaise sofa right in front of the TV connection with its back to the kitchen. Since you don't entertain with dinner parties, just get "C" tables. They can snug under the sofa or hang over the arms of it. Get some that are large enough to hold dinner, or a laptop and don't worry about sit down dining arrangements for now. Just keep your eye open for a petite drop leaf table that could be pushed up against the back of the sofa until needed. Folding chairs could be stored under the bed or in a closet. If you don't find anything and need more storage, here's a storage coffee table that could work well for dining and surfing the web.

CARRIAGE HOUSE RENOVATION · Más información

Nesnesis Modern Round Lift-top Nesting Wood Coffee Table with Drawers, White/Black · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/query/c-table/nqrwns

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

If you don't 'need the view' - buy medium-neutral window treatments to cover the doors, so black rectangular tv doesn't pop out against pale color... ?

What about 1 or 2 caster chairs, to roll easily...

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

'good for small spaces' W 31.75" / D 31" / H 39" / Linen also in avocado, teal, yellow, beige

High Wingback Linen Armchair, Orange · Más información

Flora Dining Chair in Light Gray (Set of 2) · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Flexible seating - unfold for a queen-size bed / stack 1 ottoman inside for a side table / workstation. Variety of colors, removable covers machine washable. Ships in compressed packaging to reduce shipping costs and environmental impact.

Zipline Convertible Sleeper Loveseat With 2 Ottomans, 3-Piece Set, Java · Más información

OSP Home Furnishings Main Street Guest Chair in Green Fabric · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

If tv at the cold glass, which probably won't hurt it... a rich blue? wide.

Coconut Gathered Curtain, Dark Night Blue, 79"x110" · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.