Houzz Logo Print
kbrookie

Help to finish my basement design

kbrookie
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

I would love help on rearranging/changing the decor we have in our basement to make it look more cohesive. It's clearly a kid-friendly space and that kid area with the treadmill isn't likely to change, but would love help on the other side to make it look functional/good for adult entertaining when we can. The gray chair is old, so would be open to getting something else. Particularly the artwork feels disjointed/ill-placed to me, so any suggestions on how to move that around to look better would be great.

Thank you!

Comentarios (15)

• tozmo1
    hace 2 años

How many people and what kind of entertaining? What are the dimensions of the space?

• kbrookie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I would imagine 6 adults at any time down there to watch TV or watch the kids play, or have a drink. The living area with the couch and TV is roughly 14x13 and including the space that has the big white rug on it, it’s about 24x13. I didn’t count the jut out with the treadmill as I won’t do anything there.

• kbrookie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

The artwork looks particular disjointed to me so I’m struggling with where to focus the eye.

• Carolae
    hace 2 años

In a horizontal arrangement, three pieces of art are more visually appealing than two, as the eye is drawn to the center of a grouping. The armchair looks a bit lonely there. Can you move it a little to the left and perhaps angle it toward the center of the space to see if that looks better?

• tozmo1
    hace 2 años

@Carolae suggestion of a third piece is a good one. I gave you a third and larger anchor art for the gallery wall.

I'd make sure you have more order and variation in size and shape to the items in the gallery wall. You didn't do a straight on shot of the wall so I approximated the sizes and changed it up a bit. Not saying this is the final layout, just playing with shapes and placement to show some variations.

• kbrookie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you! Here is a dead on look at the gallery art wall (looks empty to me relative to the space), and I moved the chair a bit as suggested. I may be open to getting a new chair as that gray doesn’t really go with the gray of the couch, they are different tones. Regarding the artwork, does it make sense to have it on both walls as it is, adding in one larger print where there are just two there, or should it I’ll be on one wall?

• Carolae
    hace 2 años

The gallery wall arrangement is very nice as is. You could take all the art from both walls off and see if you could arrange them all together on the floor in a pleasing configuration. You’d have to see how much room you have over the sofa, though. I probably would leave at least 12” from the ceiling to the top of the highest hung artwork. If this works, I would then hang a single large horizontal shaped piece of artwork on the right wall. Great Big Canvas (online retailer) is one source of a large variety of art and photographs printed on canvas.

You could also do a grid of three same size vertically shaped pieces of art on the right wall and move what you have there to another room. Or you could leave everything as is! It looks better with the chair moved :)

• tozmo1
    hace 2 años

I redid your gallery wall. I added a vintage golf club (get one at a thrift store) and some more color in a more vertical shape to balance in the bottom left. The B&W photo just didn't see to go with the theme. Not sure how big the golf club really is, so you may be able to tuck the B&W photo somewhere around the club. If so, I'd reframe it in black.

• kbrookie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you! @tozmo1 That’s funny about the black and white photo because that’s the stock photo and my husband just hasn’t replaced the image in the frame. 🙄 Good idea on the vintage golf club, I will poke around for one of those. I think that looks a lot more full in that area, and I may get a third one of the large photos for the other wall as suggested by others.

• kbrookie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

My husband brought these two things home from his office to add to our basement, so hoping for suggestions on how these may work in? I’ve put them next to gallery wall so you can see perspective, the black and white one is huge, and the other thing is a vintage golf ball holder.

• tozmo1
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Some ideas. Hard to tell if they will work without knowing the actual dimensions of each piece. I like the idea of the close photo of the golf ball and club head with the vintage golf ball holder. Love that your husband is getting in on the decor.

or maybe this

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    hace 2 años

We might recommend trying to coordinate the artwork. Perhaps try the two blue pieces over the sectional and maybe two small prints stacked on either side of the two blue pieces. Here are a few designs of ours with artwork that might just help you with your dilemma.

Modern Ranch · Más información

Pacific Palisades Family Room · Más información

Perhaps try one large piece near your chair:

Casual Classic Remodel · Más información

Note the three butterfly prints, this is what we meant by stacking two small ones beside the two large blue prints:

Charming Cottage · Más información

• kbrookie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Sorry for the delay here, it’s been a crazy few weeks. Thank you all for your input. We ended up doing this for now. I may switch it up though if we live with it and still don’t like it, and use some of your suggestions.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    hace 2 años

Large original artworks are an excellent addition that gives character to any space. Good luck and enjoy decor !

To check more unique collections please visit my shop -

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

new abstract art · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.