Houzz Logo Print
webuser_556281102

Need exterior paint color placement advice please!

Olivia L
hace 2 años

We bought a 120 year old row home and have been putting in work. First picture is ours… the brownish one with the terrible awning. We are having it painted next month and removing the awning and I’m going crazy with paint color placement. I absolutely love the colors of the house in the second picture. Usually I like white moulding but I saw this house and fell in love with the off white body and darker moulding. But when we got our new windows a few months ago, the frame is larger than the brick moulding above. Which drives me crazy but it’s too late to fix. Any advice on how to balance out the window frames? Should we paint the frames the same color as the body of the house? Would it look better to stick with white moulding and keep the frames pure white? Would colors similar to the second picture work? Help! Thank you!

Comentarios (6)

• jck910
    hace 2 años

Looks like you may have changed the size of the new windows from the originals. You can imitate your inspiration except I would paint the arches over the windows the body color to deemphasize them.

• Olivia L
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

The windows are the same size just the frames are now on the outside instead of being covered by brick. Contractor said he decided to do that since we got new windows due to water leaking in

• Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 2 años

The windows are fine! I think it looks very good with such large windows.
    It’s a shame about the arched molding but I think you can make it work.
    Either paint it to blend in. Or maybe you can have them enlarged.

For paint color. I actually like the house immediately next door
    I think cream with the white trim looks amazing. And is so timeless.
    And it will look nice to blend in with the next door.

Maybe do a new front door.
    Or paint the existing one

• Olivia L
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Definitely getting a new front door! Either wood or black with windows. Thanks for your input. So we should stick with the white moulding?

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 2 años

Looks like the original windows were arched and since the new ones aren't it has created a disconnect between the window and the lintel (trim over the window). A suggestion would be to pick your main body color and then paint the lintels a complementary color, maybe even from the same color strip, that is a couple of shades darker. Leave the windows white, along with the trim at the top, except use the same color used on the lintels to highlight part of the cornice trim (maybe the corbels or the dentil moulding).

Long term I would remove the wood deck/porch and replace with something more appropriate (pavers, stamped concrete, etc.). Also opening up/replacing the the transom windows over the front door and changing the front door to one that is an appropriate style would help to complete the look.

If you're interested in seeing some virtual makeovers of your home check out my web site, Creative Visual Concepts.

• Olivia L
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you! I will check it out. Which part are the lintels? A little confused with the different terms. But yes that is our plan right now. Next year we plan to do a two story porch with an open deck up top coming off the master. Floor made out of brick and rod iron railing on top. And we definitely want to add a window above the door with our house numbers

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.