Houzz Logo Print
star_woodley

HELP with modernizing my South Florida home by the sea!!

Star Woodley
hace 2 años

Hello. I purchased a 1956 home in a beach community and been working diligently to modernize the look of my home by adding a new roof, Hurrican impact window &doors, and just recently painted it a Sherwin Williams reflection gray and a darker gray on the brick adjacent. I have also purchased stainless steel floating 8 inch house numbers and 2 black wall sconces for the left side to go on each side of the bay window. I'm asking for your help in advising me, am I going in the right direction on this project or not quiet? What can I add to have a MODERN HOME?

Comentarios (18)

• jck910
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Can the shutters be removed? Find a way to hide the barrels. Widen the walk to width of porch and curve it further down the driveway. Then landscape

• Rachel Lee
    hace 2 años

Take off the shutters, do not put sconces at that window- you don’t need to light that. Add a modern bench and planter at the door.

• Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 2 años

It looks great!!
    Remove shutters and add landscape and outdoor furniture

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

IMO no shutters and landscaping since you made all the other decisions before coming here.This is my fave for inpiration for landscaping a MCM type house and would work well with yours

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 2 años

Would definitely remove the shutter. They are not sized to actually fit the windows. If you have to add them back would install shutters that are operable and correctly sized. I don't care for the accent color on the brick columns.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 2 años

Remove the shutters. You could put wider trim around the windows so they don't look so skimpy. Since you're in Florida you could add some hurricane shutters. And, as mentioned earlier, landscape.

• dfaustclancy
    hace 2 años

All great advice! Do it!

• Star Woodley
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@jck910 those are not shutters. It's brick painted a darker grey. It’s original to the 1956 home and I have been trying to get someone to remove it completely from the house but had no luck. For the landscape I was thinking pavers with artificial turf in between. I would like the curve driveway but there is a light pole restricting that from happening.

• flopsycat1
    hace 2 años

I don't see a ”bay window ....on the left side.” A light by the door, maybe, but I don‘t think you need any sconces. Where are you planning to place the house numbers? Shutter deletion and landscape addition, as above, of course.

• Star Woodley
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@flopsycat1 Bay window, picture window depending who you talk with lol. I was thinking placing the numbers on the wall right side of the front door. I have hurricane impact windows and doors those are not shutters, it's brick painted dark grey. It's been a hassle trying to find someone to remove all of the brick from the columns and on the sides of the window. Definitely can use some landscaping Thank you!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

You might like xeriscape. Here's a tropical rock garden you could install to the right of the porch. I would have painted the dark parts to match the trim and be less obvious. Agree to no sconces, wider, curving walk that can skirt around the pole, Bermuda shutters and then a pop of fun color on the front door.

FLA Rock Garden · Más información

• Star Woodley
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@Norwood Architectes those are not shutters it's brick original to the home. I could not find anyone who could remove them or the ones on the columns. I have hurricane impact windows so no need for shutters.

• Star Woodley
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you all for your input. I would like to point out that there are no shutters on the home. What you are seeing is brick painted a darker grey since I couldn't find anyone to remove them. I agree 100% with landscaping the property and as for the sconce I was thinking matte black on the columns but hearing from you all, it's a huge NO. Blessings to all.

• Star Woodley
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Would like some input on the front porch tile type and color

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

Not sure if Romabio has a stain to change the color of the tile, but you should check them out. They specialize in masonry stains/paints.

• cat_ky
    hace 2 años

I think the house is looking very nice. What you need now, is landscaping.

• Monica Labrador
    hace 2 años

I know this is an older thread and you may have already developed different ideas but I think encasing your brick columns in a medium to dark brown cedar wood would give off more MCM vibes. I live in Boynton Beach :)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.