Houzz Logo Print
sarabeth2

Do you think I will like an OVER THE RANGE Microwave?

sarabeth2
hace 10 años
We are completely remodeling our small (is a 12 ft long) galley kitchen and the designer says that the only way to avoid putting the microwave on the counter is to go with over-the-range. I have never liked the look, but he tells me I'll quickly get used to it. I hope so! Mine would have to be a vent-less one too, using just a carbon filter. I will have coil electric stove with controls at the back. If you are (perhaps new?) to having an over the range microwave, do you like it??

Comentarios (10)

• zennifer
    hace 10 años
    We had one if those...I built one into our pantry cabinet instead when we remodeled. I didn't like reaching up to stir or get things out if the microwave, and hated pulling hit things out over the glass top.
  • sarabeth2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    zennifer - That's what I feel will happen, having to reach up to stir/remove is going to be a pain. But there just isn't room for a pantry in this new design. I at least will have a coiled electric range, not a glass top that could potentially break if something slips and hits.
  • PRO
    Doucet Remodeling & Design
    hace 10 años
    Over the range is not always the safest location; perhaps you can install under the counter? a base cabinet with an open shelf
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    HI -- For the simple answer -- No !
  • jumcco
    hace 10 años
    We have an over the stove microwave and I am NOT short and still have a hard time getting hot things out. These are NOT safe. We are going to change ours out later this year. I would go with an open cabinet even if you have to lose a little storage area.
  • einportlandor
    hace 10 años
    I had one in my last house. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. You have to be careful using it but I lived with it for 10 years without any trips to the emergency room. When I remodeled the kitchen in my current house I ran into the same dilemma you're facing and I opted to live without a microwave. It's been five months now and most of the time I don't miss it, except when I forget to defrost a chicken breast and have to make a mad dash to the store. I'd opt for an over-the-stove microwave before I'd give up precious counter space in a small kitchen. It's all about compromises, no?
  • condomary
    hace 10 años
    I have over the range microwave. It is a vented one. I love it. I am short - 5'2" and I have no problem reaching in to stir, remove items. I also have a glass top range. I am not worried at all about it breaking if something from the mic is dropped. You don't use metal pans. Of course you could make a royal mess if anything drops but you could also drop a pan from the range. This is my second OTR mic and I wouldn't have it any other way. It certainly saves space and I like the look. My sister has a non vented one and she likes hers as well.
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    Am also short (sub-5') and have no issue with using my vented micro over electric range. But then, I'm pretty much used to reaching for everything at this point. After having mine for a number of years, the face frame developed a crack in it, I believe from the stove heat, even though it is installed at the recommended height from stove. If you are getting one with a metal door surround, this probably won't be an issue, but thought it would mention it FYI.
  • Laurie Seubert
    hace 10 años
    I'm also short (just a hair over 5' tall) and wouldn't trade my over-the-range microwave for a counter model. I have a gas range and made the switch to the over-the-counter microwave almost four years ago. It was a little difficult getting used to reaching up to get food out of the microwave at first, but the additional counter space I have now is worth a little reaching! Good luck with your decision!
  • zennifer
    hace 10 años
    If I had a choice between countertop and over stove I'd choose over stove; however, I'd be thinking of all the ways to avoid it (microwave drawer, under cabinet, in the bottom of an upper cabinet, etc)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.