Houzz Logo Print
webuser_584962381

best way to utilise space - utility room and toilet too much?

RenoNewbie
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

Hi all,

We’re hoping to reconfigure the dining room and kitchen of our new home to:

• Remove bay window and add glass/patio door to garden
  • Remove wall to create a kitchen/diner
  • Add a utility and/or toilet

Is this too much for the space, and it replacing a bay with patio doors even possible?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comentarios (17)

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Also wondering if adding an office instead would be a better use of space - this design appeals: https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/room-tour-a-flexible-layout-maximises-a-modest-extension-stsetivw-vs~153100303

• maxine1010
    hace 2 años

Hi,

Our house is a similar layout to yours but without the extended kitchen. We removed the bay window and replaced with french doors and removed the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make one big space. For us as a family it works really well, we spend nearly all of our time in this room, and its really nice cooking in the kitchen whilst the kids are sat at the table drawing/ playing, etc.

No regrets about the window and increasing the space, the only downside I have noticed is the floor gets dirtier through the french doors being open and people walking through it. In the spring/ summer - grass cuttings, in the autumn winter - wet/ muddy. Small price to pay!

RenoNewbie agradeció a maxine1010
  • RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Thanks @maxine1010 that’s really useful. That sounds like exactly the kind of layout we’re hoping for, I’ll put up with the dirty floors!

Sorry if this is a silly question but did you have to remove the bay above as well then replace with a straight wall to accommodate doors? I’ve seen some curved patio doors but unsure how good they are. How big a job was it?

• Tara Rodrigues
    hace 2 años

Hi Renonewbie,

You've got a lovely large space to work with if you remove the wall between dining room and kitchen. I think it depends on what your family lifestyle and priorities, when deciding whether you add a utility, home office or WC? I definitely recommend adding the French doors, this can easily be done, but get a few quotes as it can be costly. Here's a video of how French doors are installed.

https://youtu.be/J4Z0oHdmJSo

I would consider using the bottom nook of the kitchen for a utility room. As this is going to be an open plan kitchen/diner you can add an island and more storage along the top of the kitchen.

RenoNewbie agradeció a Tara Rodrigues
  • PRO
    Ann Cope Interior Design
    hace 2 años

Hi

With regards to bay window to doors yes this can be done.

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi @Tara Rodrigues this is great thanks for your thoughts and the vid. Would you put the doors at the end of the extension or removing the bow window? Just thinking the curve may be difficult to deal with.

Will have a think about what we need, I love the idea of a utility room but as we both work from home the majority of the time an office space downstairs could be more valuable.

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks @Ann Cope Interior Design would that mean removing the bay conpletely or replacing with curved doors?

• Julian Cheese
    hace 2 años

Remove the bay if it is only on this floor to replace it with doors. It will be much cheaper than curved doors but you could always get quotes for both and see what you find. I would steal some of the space from the kitchen and the under the stairs cupboard to fit a downstairs loo, it is invaluable in a busy house particularly when you have been out in the garden! As the kitchen is on that side there should be relatively easy access to the drains.

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Ah OK, thanks @Julian Cheese - there is a bay above. Assuming that will need to be removed as well.

• Jen
    hace 2 años

I’m a bit puzzled here: can you clarify? Does the room above also have a bay window?

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi @Jen, yes bays on both floors (excuse the quality of the pic, it’s from Google maps)

• Julian Cheese
    hace 2 años

Ok it’s the brick structure and a great feature I would keep this as it would be expensive to remodel and why would you. In fact it is the kitchen extension that is out of keeping. Put the doors in the kitchen end wall as your sink isn’t there and open a window to the side to view the bay and make this area a little courtyard.

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks @Julian Cheese that was our initial thought but as there’s quite a but of repair work to be done (rotting windows, failing brickwork) we thought we’d ask if there was another approach. Some of the other houses on the street have put doors into their bays but theirs are square, not round. Thanks for your help!

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi, @Kingfisher Designs do you mean along this wall?

• Julian Cheese
    hace 2 años

I think Kingfisher means like this pin. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/325033298103575928#imgViewer

• RenoNewbie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Ah OK, thanks! Will look into this

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.