Houzz Logo Print
1saxman

Army Worms in Zone 7

1saxman
hace 2 años

We're getting Army worms in my area according to the news - you get dead patches in your turf grass that can spread to the whole yard. Well, I don't have 'turf grass' to speak of since i have let my yard go to whatever springs up in it. Its still green, I cut it and it looks great. So I guess I won't be seeing any Army Worms. :)

Oh. if you get them, you have to use a liquid insecticide.

Comentarios (4)

• dchall_san_antonio
    hace 2 años

If you get them there is a product you can spray which is not a harmful insecticide. It is a bacterial disease that affects the caterpillars only. It is called BT Worm Killer. It is safe for people, pets, plants, birds, and fish.

• 1saxman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks! And, to my chagrin, it turns out that they destroy ANY weed grass (Bermuda, crab, etc.) in the lawn, not just the 'better' turf grasses. My saving Grace turned out to be the leafy weeds that still make it green. I had to take a short ride this morning to work on my stepson's mower and i noticed some yards that were totally brown, with most yards having brown areas to some degree. My weeds actually looked pretty good when I got back.

• PRO
    NG Turf
    hace 2 años

Yes! Armyworms are absolutely insane this year. Showing up much farther north than is typical. We have put together a nice post detailing what armyworms are, their life cycle, how to identify and best practices to treat them. Check it out if you have further questions about Armyworms: https://ngturf.com/fall-armyworm/

• dchall_san_antonio
    hace 2 años

Good link, even if self serving; however, it doesn't mention the additional biological control using BT Worm Killer. The bacterium in BT Worm Killer stops them from feeding immediately, which is all we really care about. Later on they die of starvation. This stuff works on tomato horn worms and all the other caterpillars I've tried it on.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.