Houzz Logo Print
mkbcogan

Too much white!!! Help

mkbcogan
hace 2 años

New build-I’m in the South and wanted to keep it bright. The island is gray and I plan to finish the back of it in solid gray. The quartz is a simple grain but the backsplash is such an attic white. Hood is stainless and will vent to ceiling. Any experience in staining grout? Suggestions on maybe adding some glass inserts; bar area? TIA

Comentarios (17)

• kandrewspa
    hace 2 años

What you've done is very on trend. I agree with you that it is a lot of white, but if you look at the pictures on Houzz of kitchens, there are a lot of all white kitchens. It looks like the kitchen is open to the family room or great room, so you have an opportunity to have more color there. You can do something interesting with bar stools, and you can place a colorful accessory on the counter in the bar area. The advantage of white is that almost anything goes with it.

mkbcogan agradeció a kandrewspa
  • Lisa Dipiro
    hace 2 años

Wait till you start adding kitchen things it won’t be so white

mkbcogan agradeció a Lisa Dipiro
  • Sarah
    hace 2 años

Your kitchen is so beautiful! Once you move back into it, try placing nice trays or cutting boards around to see what colors pop for you. A ceramic crock near the stove can hold often used utensils. Your mixer and coffee maker will add more color. Hand towels, a plant or 2…. Unbox your kitchen items to see what speaks to you. What counter stools are you using? Pendants for the island? And what’s on the other walls? Do you have space for some art or can you hang some plates or platters from your China?

mkbcogan agradeció a Sarah
  • suezbell
    hace 2 años

You might consider covering the hood vent with cabinet doors painted the same color gray as your island.

You could add some colorful cast iron trivets to your backsplash as decoration even if you don't anticipate using them and/or add other colorful accessories.

You could paint a knife rack or board with cup hooks or spice shelf any color you want.

• suezbell
    hace 2 años

You could add pressed metal wine related wall sculpture to the backsplash or cabinet doors over your wine rack or your short blank wall to the left of the wine rack -- and you could paint them you favorite bold color -- perhaps even a deep red wine burgundy .

https://www.etsy.com/market/wine_metal_wall_art 

• suezbell
    hace 2 años

if you want to consider more "pressed metal wall sculpture art" with another "subject", include the specific subject in your search line ... for instance garden or flower or beach or mountains or ranches or farms ... etc.

• lwfromny
    hace 2 años

You’ll be fine - don’t mess with the backsplash. The key to toning it down will be to add some natural elements. A wood bowl with oranges in it, some flowers, or maybe a basket somewhere, a wooden cake stand - that type of thing. It will make a big difference.

• mkbcogan
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you all for suggestions. My chairs are a warm leather, my pendants are a simple modern black cone shape with a bit of bamboo. Once I wainscot and paint gray the front of the island I am hoping it will add more contrast. The quartz top has a simple gray veining that you can't see in the picture. The back splash is a matte white and really doesn't blend well-mostly because it is so flat and artic!!!! Has anyone stained grout? Thinking a light gray?

• mkbcogan
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

And if I do decide to add a few windows on cabinets, I'm thinking the 2 on the wine bar side and maybe the thinner, single one on the oven? Just asking. TIA

• PRO
    King Home Remodeling
    hace 2 años

Sure, you can stain the grout and the light gray would be perfect. Just some little twist without forgetting your initial taste.

• PRO
    King Home Remodeling
    hace 2 años

About adding the widows on cabinets, I would suggest you choose naturally blending pieces of art.

• kculbers
    hace 2 años

Your kitchen is beautiful❣️When you start adding items on your countertop, colorful kitchen towels, and a colorful sink mat, it will balance out your pristine and lovely white kitchen.

• S Mil
    hace 2 años

It will be lovely once you add some accessories. And lucky you, you have countless colors or wood accents to choose from. Right now your eye needs to get used to it . This initial “shock” happens to even those of us who have several homes or remodels in our history .

• sprtphntc7a
    hace 2 años

yup, agree with others, accessories will tone the white down.

colorful spatulas, artwork, natural/wooden elements, bowl of lemons or green apples, rugs, bar stools etc...

just pick a color theme and stick with, you don't want a cacophny of color that it takes away from your gorgeous kitchen... add pieces one at a time and evaluate, no rush to 'get it all done TODAY' :) enjoy the ride !!!

• lwfromny
    hace 2 años

The chairs and light fixtures you describe sound great and will definitely make the room not look stark.

• Lindsie Ross
    hace 2 años

I would encourage you to bring some more wood tones into the bar area. You could pull from the color of your flooring, there is so many options fluting, paneling, ect. This would bring a little more warmth and texture into the space making it not so cold

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.