Houzz Logo Print
likestonehomes

How can I improve my kitchen?

likestonehomes
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

I am not happy with how this looks, not sure if its the tile, knobs, stools, black fridge or what. Will SS frdge or new stools make a difference? Suggestions welcome.

Comentarios (56)

• PRO
    Victory Home Remodeling
    hace 2 años

As an experienced contractor for modern kitchen remodeling in Los Angeles, I can see the kitchen space looks so dull. To help you solve this you may need some remodeling works done. If you aren't ready for a full remodel, I would suggest you use lighter color details. A light color on the walls and cabinets instantly brightens a space making it look larger and in turn, more appropriate. Light colors reflect light and hide a multitude of sins, including those scratches, dings and dents in your old cabinets.

I also second the comments regarding the fridge and stools.

likestonehomes agradeció a Victory Home Remodeling
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Does anyone have ideas for stools? DH likes traditional, farmhouse, rustic etc So nothing modern, sadly and unfortunately.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

Why should I have a kitchen hood in my house?

Q

(0) comentarios
    These are some of the reasons we can think of: What would you say?
    ...Ver más

How do I clean my hood to get better results?

Q

(0) comentarios
    The hood must be cleaned using neutral products (pH 7) that are neither alkaline or acidic: you must check that the product does not contain any harmful components such as sodium carbonate, acids, ammonia, or chlorine.If your hood is steel, it's important that you pay careful attention to the cleaning product you purchase, since the presence of the substances listed above can deteriorate the steel, leading to stains or spots of rust.
    ...Ver más

HOW TO COVER A KITCHEN DUCT VENT

Q

(2) comentarios
    Hola SARAH: I've never seen those kind of vents. It's not that they look bad. They are simply strangers, but as CECILIA tells you, they will be valid in an industrial concept, as the photo joint shown. It's not a romantic atmosphere, nor for art lovers. It's just a little ugly.
    ...Ver más
  • Anne Duke
    hace 2 años

My immediate reaction is lack color and distinctive accessories. Also, unless you typically and regularly use all those stools at one time, store at least two.

likestonehomes agradeció a Anne Duke
  • PRO
    MDLN
    hace 2 años

Surprisingly comfortable, available in counter and bar height. Have a rustic modern look.

likestonehomes agradeció a MDLN
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

@mdln, love your suggestions and agree abt added pendants. Unfortunately, there is no way of adding them, no electrical in that area.

• cheri127
    hace 2 años

You're in the wrong house if DH likes traditional/rustic/farmhouse. :) Sometimes they just have to be vetoed. Hahahaha. I like the idea of bringing in some color with the barstools and maybe a runner. Definitely a stainless steel refrigerator. It's a great kitchen....very well laid out IMO.

likestonehomes agradeció a cheri127
  • Belahn
    hace 2 años

I immediately thought what a lot of people already said. Yes to SS fridge and the bar stools are not working. There are way too many of them as well. Also some color. If you don't want to paint use some color with a couple of small appliances on countertop and some art. I also think

bar pulls would look better than what you have there.

likestonehomes agradeció a Belahn
  • cheri127
    hace 2 años

I just noticed, you might also want to change your island outlet to brown with a brown plate as well. It'll look so much better.

likestonehomes agradeció a cheri127
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

This stool comes in many finishes. I like that if can be tilted and rolled away for cleaning instead of scraping feet on the floor. Has a nice farmhouse feeling, Probably not too comfortable for long term sitting, but maybe you don't need that.

Kosas Kendall 24" Counter Stool · Más información

likestonehomes agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 2 años

The first thing I noticed is how different the kitchen is to the dining table and living room chairs. Try to find stools that help bridge that - maybe a nice fabric stool. Next is the lack of color to warm up the space - it may help tone down how modern this kitchen is feeling.

I also agree with trying to get some sort of chandelier or pendants. You have recessed in the ceiling so you can grab electric from that or have someone run a line up there. Now would be the time to do it - then you could have them move your dining room light so it doesn't have to have such a big swag to it.

It's not horrible - just needs a little something to pick it up. The cabinets are nice and the floor is beautiful so just a little more...

likestonehomes agradeció a Debbi Washburn
  • PRO
    MDLN
    hace 2 años

Electrician could run line from can lights to allow pendant.

• PRO
    MDLN
    hace 2 años

• likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Wow, I’m overwhelmed with all of your ideas and suggestions. Thank you for taking the time and having the interest in helping me resolve my decorating problem. The backsplash is cloe white, I thought I made a grave error on this. The wall paint is cedar key, recommend by Kylie M. herself. She said it would go well with the cabs.

Just to note, the dining furniture is only temporary, below is what I am thinking of purchasing.

I will try to address each one of your ideas individually.

@Sherry Brighton Unfortunately, I can’t paint the walls. We just had the entire area painted during the kitchen remodel. It is totally open concept. But glad to hear SS fridge will make a difference.

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, stools are temporary, bought at restore as was dining table for 200.00 lol All to be replaced. Sink is prep only.

@lucky998877lno need to be sorry, good advice.

@Rachel Stark is the big issue, unfortunately, I agree about upholstery on the stools, just trying to figure what colour.

@Sherry Brighton, thank your for paint suggestions.

@Victory Home Remodeling is a new kitchen remodel, kitchen is very large and bright. 16x20 with 17’ high ceilings and DH hates white cabinets. Didn’t want natural wood as I have had this in numerous past kitchens.

@Anne Duke Accessories might be the answer, but I hate clutter. Any suggestions?

@MDLN Amazing photoshop, love the accessories too. Do you think white stools will be too stark against white counter? Is it possible for you to photoshop SS fridge if you get the chance? thank you

@cheri127, thank you for the compliment. This is a total remodel and transformation. I give credit Folks on Houzz for this layout. I have another thread on this. I’ll see about island outlet.

@Belahnl What colour pulls do you think would go well? I tried silver and chrome but they just didn’t look any better.

@decoenthusiaste I do like that stool, but I prefer a back. Definitely something to consider though.

@Debbi Washburn As noted above dining table etc is temporary. Yes, colour is needed for sure, I love red. Unfortunately, I can’t add a pendant, wish I would have done it earlier. DSIL is our electrician and he is tapped out, under cab lights still are not done (18 months later) So tweaking is all that can be done at this point. I am relieved to hear that is all that is needed, especially coming from your expert and pro opinion (:

Here are ideas of the dining table I am thinking about getting. The legs will be pedestal, however.

@cheri127 here are before photos. This was diy 18 months in the process lol

• PRO
    MDLN
    hace 2 años

• Belahn
    hace 2 años

Big stainless bar pulls. 12 inches. It will definitely look better.

likestonehomes agradeció a Belahn
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@MDLN Wow, how do you do that? Looks like that fridge is actually there. It sure does brighten up the place. Thank you so much.

@Belahn Thanks for the suggestion, definetly will need to consider long bar pulls. There is only 1 hole drilled for the knobs, however, so this might be a bit of an issue.

• likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Should I paint the backsplash? Its cloe in white, but I think I made the wrong choice and no way will DH agree to remove or change it.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 2 años

I wouldn't paint the tiles - they are nice.

I love the tables you are looking at.

I would paint the refrigerator wall and the wall around the sink area ( maybe do that first as a test to see if you like the color ) - paint it more like a feature wall - a bit of a bolder/ richer color without being a dark color.

Just a thought

• likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@Debbi Washburn I am glad you like the tiles, and choice of table. your opinion means a lot. If that ceiling were not 17’ high, it would be sooo much easier to paint lol. It may have to wait a bit as they were just done. It is impssible to see what the whole picture looks like, even with samples and consulting Kylie M. for paint choices.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 2 años

Sometimes people wind up with renovation fatigue. It's a long process and when things don't feel quite right or you've lost your excite, it's easy to fall into a trap of feeling like something is wrong. You have a functioning space - take a breather. A little time off can give you a whole new perspective or direction

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 2 años

Boy those dark cabinets swallow all the light in the room.

likestonehomes agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@Debbi Washburn Awe, thank you.! This has been a DIY, and 18 months in. But boy, this can be a never ending slow process. Undercab lighting is the final last thing that needs to be done.

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

I'm late. But I like the 2 kinds of chairs - different but using straight lines. I just saw hgtv show with dark cabinets and there was plenty of ceiling sunlight, etc... black appliances seem to fit with informal openness - they're spaced ok - near dressy dining, why add S.Steel...

Not there in person -- open area in center of huge area, dark is a contrast. On smaller scale: light floor, 2 medium-tone stools, and dark. Can be repeated a little some more.

likestonehomes agradeció a everdebz
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@BeverlyFLADeziner I love your photoshop, was thinking of putting somthing abkve the cabs. The kitchen is large, open concept. The entire area is 1,000sq ft. (kitchkitchen/dining/great room. Large Windows, S, N, and W.

Dining set will be replaced with lighter set.

By the way, where did you fund the picture and vases. can you share the site.

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

If you want, post widths of all 3 window sets. And between dining set and island. And size of the room with chairs in it

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

2 locations -- if red dining chairs, how'd that go with living furniture?

or if dining were neutral -- how'd red stools work?

Flash Furniture 24"H Kelly Red Metal Counter Height Stool ET-3534-24-RD-GG · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

2 end chairs like this style?

Wapakoneta Road | Bethesda, MD · Más información

Safavieh Becall 20" Linen Dining Chair, Hemp, Black · Más información

Furniture of America Dokka Fabric Dining Side Chair in Brown (Set of 2) · Más información

• Product Dimensions : 20"W x 25"D x 38.75"H
    • Seat Dimensions : 18.25"D x 18.75"H
  • everdebz
    hace 2 años

Dinning Chair Green 25x20x37" · Más información

Lillian Dining Chair, Set of 2 · Más información

Aprilia Dark Red Upholstered Dining Chairs, Set of 2, Dark Red · Más información

• likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@everdebz Thank you for your help. I am away so I cannot give you exact measurements. But to give you an idea here is a pic taken during renos. Also, are examples of table ( solid wood, custom made) I am considering, have not chosen chairs yet. Table legs will be metal and pedestal style, so not quite the same as pictured.

Just saw your previous questions, cabs seem darker in photo. They are cherry wirh java stain.

LEGS

• likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@everdebz I love your suggestions, especially the red, also like the wood chairs with white seats in your 2nd dining pic.

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

I like the height of your current chairs - you could experiment with using 2 or more, especially cause of heights in the area. Cabinets are lovely.... with lots of 'air space' to me chairs could be detailed with shapely backs, or different color for chair backs, etc..

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Artificial light infrequently on in daytime...just posting red. Bit of blue.

Waban Hill Rd · Más información

Benzara Wooden Bar Stool with Patterned Fabric Upholstery, Red and White · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

The backs 'show' against darker island, but might be nice if floor color:

Norman Reclaimed Pine 24inch Counter Stool Distressed Natural by Kosas Home · Más información

• ulisdone
    hace 2 años

Keep existing fridge (why draw attention to a SS fridge?) and use the money to paint the island cabs a bright, fun color that will become the focal point.

likestonehomes agradeció a ulisdone
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@everdebz So many choices, love fhe reclaimed pine stool. I could add a little seat cushion too. Also, easy for to clean once, grandkids have done makinf a mess lol

@ulisdone, Never thought of paining the island, what colour would you suggest? Great idea, thank you

• PRO
    MDLN
    hace 2 años

• PRO
    MDLN
    hace 2 años

Looks great with just the 3 chairs. Would replace the outlet cover.

• Lauren E
    hace 2 años

Different bar stools and some decor would probably make a world of difference. Greenery, too!

likestonehomes agradeció a Lauren E
  • everdebz
    hace 2 años

I'm one who likes chair cushions!!

• chiflipper
    hace 2 años

Change BOTH the receptacle (the part with the holes) and the cover, takes 20 minutes the first time...5 minutes the second, super easy.

likestonehomes agradeció a chiflipper
  • happyleg
    hace 2 años

Add art and matching chairs. Pendents.

likestonehomes agradeció a happyleg
  • arcy_gw
    hace 2 años

We purchased a home with perfectly serviceable counter height chairs for our counter eating. They were not 'me'. FF 20 years I finally found/could afford to swap them out. I was SHOCKED at the lift it gave the room!! I got my soft cushion seats, already had the swivel, kids all grown so off white works!! The over hang on the island was poorly placed--no one wants to sit NEAR the sink, use it to get the garbage out of the foot path I guess, or remove the sink. HATE stove/sinks in an island totally screws up their value as work space. I would not add to my headaches with a SS fridge I would have paid the extra money for ivory to match the back splash. I know the dark from the '70s is back "in" but I can't help but chuckle--first thing we did was remove that dark dark dark when we moved in. To each their own.

likestonehomes agradeció a arcy_gw
  • ulisdone
    hace 2 años

Considering a color for the island, I would look for an accent color to use repeatedly throughout your open space ( pillows, lamps, vases, etc.) and I think something in the blues or greens because of all the warmth you have in the space already. For example a light shaded aqua.

• ulisdone
    hace 2 años

Sorry, not able to load any photos…

• Louise Heintzelman
    hace 2 años

What a beautiful home! I'd consider fewer counter stools (unless you need them) and maybe remove the track lighting and hang two larger pendants. Of course this would be expensive. Also, I recently replaced our black fridge because it was a side by side and didn't work for my family. we bought a bosch stainless.. supposedly fingerprint resistant..yeah right! ha (but as an aside, it's an awesome fridge)

likestonehomes agradeció a Louise Heintzelman
  • likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@BeverlyFLADeziner Thank you for the mock up, above. Can you please tell me where you found the art. Is it online?

• likestonehomes
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you everyone, new stools are making a difference. Wish there was a way to add pendants, however, there is no electrical above the island. .

• happyleg
    hace 2 años

Where there is a will there is a way have fun electrician come to your home and talk to him and get an estimate then you can decide on with him what it would look like and if you want to go ahead

likestonehomes agradeció a happyleg
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    hace 2 años

from my experience, changing the cabinet knobs to more updated knobs or pulls can do a world of a difference without breaking the bank. check out some of the cabinet hardware i posted to below. keep in mind these come in many different finishes

http://focalpoint.spexbuilder.com/Atlas-252L-CH-Polished-Chrome-Cabinet-Knob.HTM

http://focalpoint.spexbuilder.com/Classic-Brass-1152APS-Silver-Cabinet-Knob.HTM

http://focalpoint.spexbuilder.com/Classic-Brass-3601PN-Polished-Nickel-Cabinet-Knob.HTM

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.