Houzz Logo Print
lana_shulman

Flush Mount Cooktop Instalation

Lana Shulman
hace 2 años

I recently had a Bosch cooktop installed flush with the Dekton countertop. There is a tiny-tiny gap between the glass and stone. Fabricators are telling me that it’s required for ventilation, however when I read installation instructions for other brands they mention there should be something out in between (ex Wolf suggestion some foam sprey). Please share if I should seal it with something? Leaving is as is giving the streight point for dust collection and other from cooking. However sealing it with heat resistant sealer like silicone will not leave me an option to remove it when and if need maintenance. Appreciate responses.

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

What does Bosch advise for this? Silicone is removeable BTW but I am not sure about heat proof silicone it might discolor with constant use.

• kelli_ga
    hace 2 años

Call the manufacturer. A lot of manufacturers will talk to you over the phone.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Is he doesn’t say anything in their manual fir flush installation, my fabricators however said it doesn’t matter, even though I agreed to do drop installation they did it flush, now I am stuck with it (can request to change but not sure if I want to go through this)

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hm… just thinking, are they saying to me it’s ok to do flush even the specs don’t say that only to avoid fixing their mistake?

• kaseki
    hace 2 años

While early Electrolux and Kenmore clone induction cooktops actually vented between the support sheet metal and the glass (plus a fan in the chassis), my more recent Frigidaire version claims the same in the installation guide but clearly doesn't have any gap there.

In any case, what might work and still make it possible to remove the unit for repair without a gigantic hassle would be to acquire o-ring material (sold in long lengths) that is just slightly thicker in diameter than the gap and push is it all around to flush. It then can be pulled when needed. The o-ring material would likely be black (neoprene; red silicone o-ring material will not be needed in that spot as it won't actually be hot enough there). I haven't checked, but MSCdirect.com might be a possible source. I don't know if gray is an option.

On a related subject, what does your installation manual say about combustible materials on/in the wall behind the cooktop. You seem pretty close there in the image. Combustible rules mean all the way through the wall. My guess is that you are OK with induction, but you should check, as should have your kitchen designer.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you for your comment! I did hear about o-ring material. Can I push it around all the way in so it’s not visible through the top? Or just flush with glass and counter?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

When your Dekton cracks at the cooktop corner as it inevitably will, Dekton won't honor the warranty as your fabicator failed to follow their cutout instructions. The fabricator should have told you "No." but failed to do so. For that mistake they deserve to replace your tops with the proper corner radii this time. Page 8.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

Never, ever, set a pot larger than the design imbedded into the cooktop please. If an oversized pot transfers heat over that corner, it's toast.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks you! It actually looks like the corners are not sharp, so there is some radii (not additional pieces material but stone cut in a radius. I am still worried that 1. I am having a 1-2mm gap between glass and counter , also since Bosch doesn’t support the flush instal if there is enough support that I have.

• kaseki
    hace 2 años

I would push the o-ring material in to flush to keep stuff out. Or you can go two laps to fill deeper. You would need some ideal tweezer shape to get in deep and start pulling out the o-ring if you needed to do so.

And as noted, you want fairly soft o-ring material that is only maybe 0.020 larger than the gap. (You can measure the gap with a set of feeler gauges.) I don't expect the Ceran to expand much with temperature, but if it does you do not want to stress it.

• venmar
    hace 2 años

Hi Lana, please read the "page 8 " link in Joseph Corlett's first post to the Delton cutout requirements, also scroll down to page 14 for flush install of cooktops or sinks. They require a minimum 10 mm. Radius for thru cutouts and a minimum of 5 mm. For the recessed rabbet for the glass, a 2 mm. Gap between the rabbeted out recess of countertop and the glass of cooktops and it states to be filled with high temp silicone, no other options . Second they require for 12 mm. thick Dekton the glass recess can be no more than 4 mm and no more than 8 mm for 20 mm thick Dekton. I would bet that your Bosch cooktop glass is thicker than 4 mm. A 5 mm. Radius in corners is somewhere between 3/16th inch and 1/4" so it definitely appears from your photo showing a corner cutout that they did not follow requirements. It appears as Joseph said definitely a do over which gives you a chance to ask Bosch if both install options are ok and decide which one is better for you since the silicone filled gap might bother you. Hoping the installers/fabricators don't dispute their mistake but you have Joseph's link to Dekton's requirements now.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you very much for details! I have some other concerns might start fixing one issue and will face another. 1. There is a seam between 2 pieces which will have to definitely be cut if replacing, I am afraid it might chip the other connecting piece. 2. The piece that needs replacement attached to the cabinet panel and already fixed with silicone. I am worried taking off silicon will damage cabinet.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

:) using it fir few data, no cracks so far

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

For few days*

• Kate
    hace 2 años

My glass top induction actually sits above the countertop. I’ve never seen a recessed glass top. Maybe they make a special strip that goes around the surface that allows expansion, prevents gunk from getting in the groove and keeps cookware on the cooktop.

• kaseki
    hace 2 años

High temperature silicone should not be needed with an induction cooktop, but would with a radiant electric cooktop. Filling anything with silicone and then attempting to remove the silicone so that the sealed unit can be removed will be a real pain. It might lead to excessive force applied to the Ceran or to the Dekton.

Radii and clearances are a property of the countertop material strength and should be observed. With a larger radius corner than the induction cooktop has, my suggestion of o-ring material becomes inapplicable.

If you are feeling lucky about ever having to repair your induction cooktop, feel free to pot it in place with silicone.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Do you think this gap is sufficient? It just going to get all the dust etc, that’s why I wanted to fill it may be with o-ring. Do you mind sending me the link to o-ring that I need, I am nit able to find the right one.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Also the installer need to come out and somehow polish the edges I think.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    hace 2 años

I have found that much of the advice from appliance manufacturers regarding flush, inset, and other unusual appliance installation applications is completely wrong. There is usually no engineering analysis done vetting these unusual installations.

Often the advice manufacturers give is actually dangerous. Such as advising until 2011 using high CFM hoods with professional appliances in homes without replacement air systems. Manufactures knew this was dangerous for a decade before building code was changed to protect consumers.

Insetting ovens in inset and beaded inset cabinetry is crazy and very dangerous, but it is presently encouraged by appliance manufacturers because home owners like the look. Our company will not sell a kitchen with these fire hazard applications, and we have lost 40 and 50K cabinet orders because we refuse to sell it.

That being said I would guess that the gap around the cooktop with a Deckton top would be needed for expansion and not for venting, and that your gap looks about right. I have no idea if high temperature silicon will hold up over time but it can easily be removed. And the application at least doesn't seem dangerous. High-temperature silicone is designed to withstand up to 500°F, but some formulas are rated up to 572°F or 600.

I doubt any countertop fabricator will remake a top at no charge with this unusual appliance application. But I think it isn't needed and that you already have the best case scenario. If it cracks as Joseph says due to the tight radiuses then you can ask them to replace it at no charge and get larger radiuses, or better yet install the cooktop the way it was designed for. As a top mount.

• Lana Shulman
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you!

• kaseki
    hace 2 años

"Do you mind sending me the link to o-ring that I need, I am nit able to find the right one."

You will have to measure the gap all around. Here is a page leading to specific o-ring cord pages.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Hardware/Cord-Stock?searchterm=O-Rings%2C+X-Rings+%26+Cord+Stock&navid=4287863947

• mlankala
    hace 2 años

Gaggenau cooktops are made for flush mount and in their installation instructions, it says to use silicon recommended by the countertop fabricators. Anyone know what type/brand silicon to use?

I called cambria fabricator who did our counter tops, waiting for them to call back...

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.