Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_13468963

BUYER BEWARE -- BlueStar (Blue Star)

User
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

I know there are other threads on this issue, but I want to start a new one so that as many people as possible are aware of BlueStar's defective products and appalling lack of customer service.

This issue goes back many years, and you can find many threads about it, not only here, but on other sites as well. My story is the same as many others. I was using my oven and, suddenly, the door would not open. Apparently, after reading many, many posts about this, the door hinges are defective.

In the past, BlueStar would either ship a customer a new door with different hinges (sometimes sending multiple replacements!!), or would offer a new door at a significant discount. Now, though, they will not do that, saying there wasn't a recall (there should have been). I would have to purchase a new door for approximately $800. That's $800 IF I fix the door myself, not including any service fees.

My range cost me at least $8000 with the custom color and matching hood. In addition to the door issue, I've had issues with the spark ignitors, and the top of the stove is NOT entirely cast iron, but has a cheap black porcelain paint in places, resulting in a lot of rust and burnt brown stains that cannot be removed. Given that it's not all truly cast iron, the stove cannot be completely seasoned. The hood lights stopped working after very little use, and I've yet to have time to deal with that issue.

Perhaps the company has changed ownership, which would explain the discontinued assistance with the defective doors. Buyer beware.

EDIT: I'm including links to some other sites/threads that also detail BlueStar's issues and lack of ethics.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2307987/bluestar-door-issue

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2283150/bluestar-door-trouble-again

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2278775/help-bluestar-oven-door-stuck

https://medium.com/@marinagorodischeva/buying-a-bluestar-range-pros-and-cons-f11b52c96af7

http://www.beyondsalmon.com/2010/09/cure-for-sticking-door.html

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2341151/how-do-you-keep-the-cast-iron-on-blue-star-range-clean

UPDATE 1: See comment below.

UPDATE 2: I emailed BlueStar, as they suggested below, and when they called me, I got the same exact rigamarole as the first time I called their CS people:

"there wasn't a recall" -- as if that negates the fact that BlueStar openly admitted in the past (see above linked threads) that the door hinges were a defect. Recalls are voluntary.

Same offer to sell to me for $800.

"I can check with my manager to see if I can give you a discount." Right; while I sit on hold for nothing. This time, I told them to call me back if there was and, SHHHHocking, no one called me again.

She admitted that the door/hinges design was changed.

So this was their idea of "helping" me. Nice.

Maybe you have hundreds of dollars to spend correcting defects on such an expensive appliance. I do not. And, honestly, the wealthy people I know wouldn't be willing to burn money due to a company's lack of integrity either.

And thank you to Houzz for allowing us to post reviews and, hopefully, save someone else the aggravation and expense.

Comentarios (11)

• lucky998877
    hace 2 años

Thank you for bringing this up. If you only listen to some pros on this site, you would think that BS is the only range worth buying (yes, I almost got one too based on the info here)....nice to hear a real life experience regarding the negatives (which of course happen with every brand).

User agradeció a lucky998877
  • stars26
    hace 2 años

How old is your unit? Thanks for the feedback

• jaja06
    hace 2 años

Thanks for sharing. We’re considering purchasing a rangetop from them this week. Every single brand I looked into seemed to have reliability issues. It’s so frustrating how difficult it is to find a quality product!

• vinmarks
    hace 2 años

How old is your range? I have a Bluestar range that is almost 4 years old. The top is entirely cast iron. I don’t know if the hinges are the same as what is on your range. Did they ever change the hinges on newer models? I do not have a Bluestar hood.

• PRO
    BlueStar
    hace 2 años

@User We are sorry that you’re experiencing issues. Our senior cus serv mgr Jon Stivers would like assist you in getting this corrected and he can be contacted at jstivers@bluestarcooking.com

• Michael Rutman
    hace 2 años

Looks like they haven't gotten any better.

I've had the 48 model for 7 years now and the oven has stopped working. BlueStar official servicers in my area are either out of business or do not know how to work on them (their words). Contacting BlueStar they responded, and I quote, "Unfortunately your unit is not under warranty, and we are unable to troubleshoot or diagnose over phone or email"

Their level is support is literally, "Our recommendations are too (sic) google local servicers near me".

So, if you get one, pray it never has a problem or you are on your own.

• User
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Diagnosing a simple gas range like that doesn’t require that a service person be ”familiar” with anything but basic gas combustion. Igniters have a finite lifespan, and are easy to install. I can see that as the likely very easy fix from here.

I’m assuming that you also bash Toyota after the tires wear out at 80,000 miles? After the warranty is over? Over a consumable and 5 minute replaceable part?

https://youtu.be/_xmRNVEKODM

• Michael Rutman
    hace 2 años

The servicer has now spent just over a year not fixing it telling me each trip that he's called BlueStar and they haven't responded to him either. The glow stick lights, it ignites, gets to temperature, then turns off and does not come back on. The oven cools off without ever trying to relight. If I turn the knob off then back on it will relight, come back to temperature, then repeat. If you slowly turn the knob it the flame will turn on and off as expected, the only thing not working is when it is supposed to come back on on its own.

That doesn't sound like the thermopile, nor the thermostat, nor the igniter. If you know the "simple" fix for that please share it.

• User
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Sounds like a wiring issue to the thermopile, or a thermocouple issue. All of the parts are incredibly cheap and easy to replace. If you’ve replaced the physical parts, check the wiring. Diagnosis is narrowing down the possibilities. If it’s not a specific physical part, that a transplant doesnt cure, then it’s a likely connective nerve and power issue that you check next. https://youtu.be/ciyWwcKmPC4

• Sandra Godinich
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

We were excited about our 48” range and beautiful bakers wall oven for our new beach house built in 2021. These appliances have been nothing but trouble. The wall oven has gone out twice. We don’t live in the house, so the appliances are rarely used. It’s sad that they don’t work when we do plan events. The 48” large range oven going out on Thanksgiving day is the last straw. $16,000 range and we can’t bake a turkey. I’m disgusted with Blue Star! Products in this price range should not be this unreliable. We are having a baby shower in the home this weekend and the caterers will be forced to use the small side oven and wall oven because the largest oven is out of order! Yes, buyers beware!!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.