Houzz Logo Print
webuser_628338827

How can I soundproof a room at the top of a spiral staircase?

Diane Ton
hace 2 años

I'm looking for ideas on putting something across the top of a spiral staircase so that no one will hear me in my bedroom at the top. I am currently working from home and some of my meetings are private and I don't want my roommates to hear me. I cannot put a door at the bottom. Is there something I can make that will be soundproof and can easily slide across the opening when I am up there? Thanks!

Comentarios (8)

• Molly D. Zone4B
    hace 2 años

A picture of the space might generate more suggestions.

• L.D. Johnson
    hace 2 años

If the stairs lead up to a horizontal opening in the floor, consider a sheet of foam board insulation from a hardware store; not pretty, but easy enough to slide on and off. We used it for our daughter's room at the top of a spiral staircase in a rental years ago. It wouldn't be soundproof, but might be enough of a barrier to help. A double layer with something on top to weight it would likely be more effective. I would not leave it in place at night while sleeping though. A white noise machine at the stairs might help as well. If you block the opening you'll affect your air circulation, so hopefully you're somewhere with functional windows and/or a room AC unit.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

Set a boom box facing outward.

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

"meetings" lol

Surely there is the center post and handrail extending up, so it will be difficult to place something over it. If you can though, use rigid foam insulation (the pink board) so it's light enough to move constantly and cuts easily. It will become to represent a tie on the doorknob.

I don't know how the walls are layed out, but maybe a heavy fabric curtain and liner surrounding it upstairs.

• Diane Ton
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Please clarify ”It will become to represent a tie on the doorknob.”

Thanks!

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

When the roomies see the cover in place, it's "meeting" time.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    hace 2 años

Nice.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.