Houzz Logo Print
webuser_51505754

Keep or demolish a pool

Ali Jane
hace 2 años

Interested in thoughts people have on keeping or demolishing a pool.

We’re in the process of buying a house on a 750sqm block that has an old neglected fibreglass pool out the back. The block is basically split in thirds - front yard, house, backyard. The pool takes up the majority of the backyard with about 2 m of paving around all sides.

We’re in a dilemma - we could restore the pool and re-design an entertaining area around, then fence off the front yard and add a deck and grass for the dogs/future kids. Backyard and front yard are roughly the same size. House is across the road from a park and bushland.

Alternatively we could demolish and remove the pool and grass out the back and have a bigger entertaining area then just have a landscaped front yard.

We’re in Perth, so have hot summers and market research of our area seems to show that houses with pools sell higher.

Would you be put off buying a house if the pool takes up majority of the backyard if you could have grass out the front?

I’m curious for opinions. I never saw myself with a pool but open to it.

Thanks

Comentarios (10)

• Kate
    hace 2 años

You have to live there not us. My sister filled her pool in to get a big veggie garden. Each to their own

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    hace 2 años

Like you, I bought a house with an old pool that needed upgrading. It was an old pool, and every part has been replaced/renewed since I moved in except for the interior. In addition I have a monthly visit from my pool man. It has cost thousands and thousands, so be prepared to spend some big dollars if you decide to keep it.

Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits via Zoom

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    hace 2 años

I also forgot to mention that if you purchased your pool and the fencing does not meet the current regulations such as preventing direct access from the house to the pool then you may also be up for thousands of dollars in new pool fencing and gates. If you only have 2metres of paving between the house and pool you will probably need to run a pool fence down the middle making two, narrow 1 metre wide strips.

I would get your pool fencing inspected to see if it complies, and getting some fencing quotes before making a decision.

Dr Retro
    Dr

• Ali Jane
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks for this Dr Retro, I’ve been trying to do some research on pool fencing regulations and don’t think ours comply as they are so that’s a great point.

Getting some quotes for pool removal - it just seems like a huge headache and so costly to keep the pool. I’m definitely more of an entertaining area plus veggie patch kind of person so I think I’ll do what suits me best in the long term.

• dreamer
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

How old is the pool, when was it installed? With the current regulations in my council, the city of canning (WA). If a pool was installed prior to 2001, then there still is no need for a fence. But all doors must be self closing and sliding windows can only open to 150mm. The Pool Inspector comes around every year to inspect the pool and ensure surroundings are legal to current laws.

If the pool is a fibre glass pool, and in need of restoration, personally I would be phoning a pool removal company to remove and take away. There are numerous companies in Perth that do this.

If you want a pool then get a small plunge pool.

The comments about a pool being expensive, in my experience is not true. We purchased a home built in 2004, it was in an old area, so the pool installed in 1992 was retained, and the new home built. I checked the pool water the first week of each month. Needed maybe a bag of salt maybe some other ph/akaline chemicals, and on occasions nothing at all. So my monthly bill to maintain the pool would of been around $20.00. Plus the electricity cost, which also was not that high, as the filter was run during the day, (solar panels). I maintained that pool 12 months of the year, as it was the main part of our back yard, and added to the aesthetic of the home. We sold that home in 2019, and the new owners were going to refurbish the pool, because it was due. This is where the expense would of been. NOT the maintaining of the pool, on a general day to day basis.

• Ali Jane
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hey Dreamer, thanks for this. It’s definitely been left to run down, no water or anything. I’m not sure age of the pool tbh but real estate had a guess at 90s too. There is a sliding door out from house to pool so this could be an issue/expense. City of Fremantle here so similar rules to you so would depend actual age of pool. Inspections every 4 years.

I got scared at pool removal estimates on Google being upwards of $10000 in other discussions, but now getting quotes as low as $2800 so seems much more achievable/reasonable and the better option.

• User
    hace 2 años

Aside from all the practical questions ( above ) -- are you a 'pool' family ? Would you use the pool if you had it ?

My house doesn't have a pool , but ironically a couple of my rental places do , and I get better rental $$$ for those -- both inground pools though , so apart from $500 for reconditioning the filter motor every 10 years , they don't cost me much .

In my late 20's , I bought a place with a large kidney shaped pool -- 3 metres deep in the middle , a curvy slide , a diving board , a built-in gas bbq and paving -- I loved it ! Mind you , late 20's and freshly seperated we had a fair few messy nights there haha ! In fact , it was a 13 acre lifestyle block , I had 2 ride-on mowers , there were the occassional attempts to mow the lawns very fast and very sideways at 2am !

• Ali Jane
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Very true Pottsy - I have to say I got excited for a minute about having a pool - can definitely see myself having a good time with friends in summer. I think it’s more the sheer size and space it takes up in the backyard that is the main decider. If it was a smaller one and better positioned I would probably be pushing more to keep it.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.