Houzz Logo Print
mizfitt

Please Help Make My House Less Orange

mizfitt
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

Hello -

My family has purchased a cottage at the lake and we would love advice on how to make the main floor less orange. We chose this house because we love the natural light, the floor plan works for us and we could afford it but I am not loving the floors and cabinetry. In the short term we just want to enjoy our summer and get a feel for the house; it is not feasible to make major changes such as replacing the floors/cabinets/countertops due to costs, a shortage of labor in the area and the man in my life putting his foot down. I would appreciate suggestions for how to tone down the orange hues - realistic short term options are painting the walls, replacing the appliances with stainless steel ones, changing the cabinet hardware and choosing complimentary furniture/floor coverings. The furniture pictured is not ours. The blinds are white aluminum horizontal mini blinds but we have no neighbors behind us so I am okay to just remove them entirely.

Long term I'd like to replace the floors and cabinets to create more of a lakehouse / cottage feel. I'd also love suggestions for a great kitchen table to fill the great empty space in the middle of the kitchen that I think is begging for an island. Or maybe I am wrong?

I am very grateful for any help.

Comentarios (41)

• RMC
    hace 2 años

Rugs. A runner in the kitchen and a large rug in the living area that are patterned and have mostly the colors you want to introduce, and a small amount of light orange to connect them to the floor.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Is this a photo of your furnishings, or is it from the listing?

Paint the walls B.M. Gray Owl. It has a slight green undertone, works with wood tones, and big bonus, it is a 10 with all that natural light.

• mizfitt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

It is not my furniture - this is from the listing. I have not purchased furniture yet.

• Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 2 años

Until you can really redo this I wouldn’t put a lot into it. Put down runners.

I love the location of the table in the listing pictures. I would mimic that idea. Until you can redo and possibly add an island or maybe an island with a table/ banquet on the other side.

Remove the shades
    Oy can do new hardware. But these aren’t bad , I’d honestly just save up instead. Every penny counts.

Enjoy it!!!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

I think you can have an island eventually, but don't rush things. Replace appliances as they fail. Live with it for a year and see how things function for you. Meanwhile, gather ideas, source items, list pros and cons of what you have and get on a good KD and contractor's wait list for the future.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

nice place.

do you already have furniture you're bringing or will you be buying something?

As for the floors, since replacing is out right now, a large area rug is your best bet. You could do a large jute or sisal, and layer on something else if you like.

these tend to be a bit less money then buying a huge regular rug.

another option, go to a carpet store and look at remnants. maybe a 10x14 size or something? have them bind the edges. you can use that.

Paint. don't know what colors you're using, but white is a safe choice. nothing w/yellow in it since your floors and cabs are already that red/orange color. Just do a nice soft white, maybe even a swiss coffee, or, you could do a type of grayish blue. it would look nice w/the reddish floors. just depends on your furniture colors.

any of these whites would be nice, as would any of the other colors

Soft, warm gray tones. all would look great w/the red floor

light blue greens would also look nice.

I wouldn't do any blinds in the kitchen, but if you want more of a Lake feel, try some woven woods and ditch the mini blinds.

the kitchen island. You could DIY something, buy an island w/a butcher block, or go salvage hunting for a vintage type of console and top it with marble.

IN fact, I'd switch these two (or when you get your own table) and use that cabinet as your island. Paint it white.

Or some other color, top w/a remnant quartz / granite overhang, and either use it to eat at,

or, get another table and push that over against the wall.

just because their arrangement is like this doesn't mean yours has to be.

I'd splurge on a big island w/enough room for 4 stools. top it w/a prefab countertop or go look for a remnant. you can purchase unfinished base cabinets and build this yourselves without too much effort. Tell husband just to go along this last time!

this wood top is reclaimed wood boards. You could find plenty of those and make your own butcher block. cheap and easy.

over against the wall you could get a little round breakfast table.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 2 años

Back to gray owl on the walls, Add this Ikea sofa…great because it is a green gray and works with Gray Owl and it is budget friendly. Add a couple of kilim rug throw pillows (etsy) that does acknowledge the wood, and at the same time works with wall/sofa color.

Gray/green jute rug on the floor. Do two…one under your dining table and one in the living area.

• mizfitt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - especially grateful for the specific paint color recommendations. I have purchased this rug 8x10 and in a runner. With kids and dogs I really need something washable. Are the yellow tones in it too yellow?

Prisma Monochrome Rug | Washable Rug | Ruggable

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

that one looks nice.

as a suggestion for a coffee table, look online or flea shops. a long time ago my sister found this maple plank table. you know, that mass produced maple butcher block type of top popular in the 90's? I decided to make it beachy by using diff colors of chalk paints to white wash it, sand it, distress and then stencil it w/local beach names.

cost was less than 20 bucks since I had everything on hand. got a glass starfish knob.

you can get small sample size chalk paint colors. even if you don't want to stencil, you can do something like this w/dining chairs, or a hutch, whatever you find.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

Inspiration.... Maybe
    Paint walls blue/green, including the long door on wall at the right of dishwasher. Paint the cabinet door next to the glass door.

Large rugs.

• loobab
    hace 2 años

Painting the walls any shade of green will make the rest of the room look even more orange!

• freedomplace1
    hace 2 años

It’s a nice space. I would do a white on walls.

And either with current appliances or with Stainless, if I was bringing in a rug, I would use one with some black in it.

• Usuario de Houzz-165019489
    hace 2 años

I would paint your cabinets SW 6256
    Serious Gray
    Interior / Exterior
    Location Number: 234-C5

hace 2 años

Look for either a black and white rug or a nice neutral rug. In the living room keep the black leather sofas and add a black n white rug. I would add some textured pillows with greys, blacks, oranges and maybe a bit of brown. Add a nice long modern dining table with either a butcher block or rustic reclaimed look and modern chairs.

• User
    hace 2 años

Paint the floors if you are eventually going to replace them anyway. It’s a lot faster than painting cabinets. If you like, do stencils or patterns, but solids can look fine.

63rd Avenue Residence · Más información

Bastrop County Plantation House · Más información

DIY Courage Makes a Victorian Beauty Shine · Más información

Palmetto Tree Bookcase · Más información

Traditional Kitchen · Más información

Дом на Волге · Más información

If you want to paint the cabinets, explore using chalk paints which are probably more DIY friendly.

Polished Farmhouse · Más información

I wouldn’t investe in new appliances until you figure out what your kitchen remodel and whole space remodel is eventually going to be. Go for paint and new lighting.

mizfitt agradeció a User
  • Maureen
    hace 2 años

Summer is short and I would enjoy the new cottage. There are some small changes that are easy and could warm it up/divert the eye. Once you add furniture, rug etc in living room this will also make a big difference. Take your time to decide on long term updates and I think the wall color is fine, neural and warm.

Kitchen/dining room: I’d look for a rustic dining set and add pendant lights; it will really change that space and feel cozy and inviting.

The cabinetry next to entrance could be chalk painted (no need to sand) and that section would feel more suited for dining room/living room.

A vinyl runner in kitchen will break up the flooring and also be cute and consider black hardware.

On the narrow wall to right of kitchen sink, this could be cute.

A really big change would be window treatments.

Living room: If starting from scratch, I’d use an on line room planner inputting exact dimensions and structural elements to help determine best layout, for seating needs, flow, etc. A sectional may work well and I’d go with a darker shade. Look at lots of inspiration pictures for furniture combinations, preferred style and accessories.

hace 2 años

Great suggestions

• User
    hace 2 años

Rather than replace the refrigerator, tweak Maureen’s suggestion and use it for a chalkboard for this summer. Draw remodeling plans on it. ;)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

To avoid the cabinetry and flooring as the only focal points, direct the eye to working with that color in small doses by complementing orange with a color, opposite in tone, that is strong enough to take away the orange saturation, by still working with blending in several colors. It will balance color in the room to not be the only color you see.

The complementary color has to be a a similar big dose.

I'm feeling like the next biggest surface is walls. Paint will help neutralize the amount of orange color.

Rugs for flooring that are predominately the opposite color tone with small amounts of orange to unify.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    hace 2 años

I agree with the idea of a large rug to cover up a lot of the orange floor, but since this is a summer Cottage I would buy a large 9 by 12 made of a synthetic that can be easily cleaned. They have a lot of beautiful looking indoor outdoor rugs now.

• happyleg
    hace 2 años

Paint an accent wall in your living Room by your couch and lay a nice rug down There too

• btydrvn
    hace 2 años

If you are into a little extra work to achieve a nice big island...i would move the cabinets by the door...place it parallel to other cabinets ..doors facing toward the windows....and add a big top extending toward the living space ..for a big dining/work top ...with stools...

• btydrvn
    hace 2 años

Islands with this kind of seating are used all day long for all sorts of things...where the view can be enjoyed and for conversation with whoever is working in the kitchen..also a great spot for cook’s helpers

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

I would 1st choose how you will neutralize the orange amounts of color and intensity before you choose furniture colors.

Do you have any furniture that you will for sure, be using in the cottage?

• mizfitt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

At this point I have no furniture at all and am definitely open to suggestions particularly for a couch and dining table.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

Microfiber or Microsuede Sofas, a quality vinyl might be sufficient for summer use only, as well as easy cleaning and for pets. Vinyl is a better price point for short time use...(check the guarantee regarding nail scratches pets (if you have any pets)

What Are the Easiest Sofa Materials to Clean?

• Microfiber. Microfiber sofas are easy to maintain and can withstand heavy use. ...
    • Leather. Leather sofas are the perfect fabric in homes with kids. ...
    • Vinyl. Vinyl has many of the similar benefits as leather but can often be found at a lower price point. ...
    • Wool. Wool sofas are highly durable. ...

I think comfy casual for a sofa style.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/red-barrel-studio-zuckerman-86-pillow-top-arm-sofa-w004998827.html?piid=553763782&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=2

mizfitt agradeció a LB Interiors
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

Maybe a sectional

mizfitt agradeció a LB Interiors
  • happyleg
    hace 2 años

For a dining Room table A medium colour wood It's not black Or acrylic legs

mizfitt agradeció a happyleg
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

You could use something similar to this photo, with more white in decor and furniture.... with white Wicker/Rattan (out of stock now)

I would add a multi rug in blues and white with a bit of orange to unify and balance color.

Weather Resistant; Water Resistant; Mold Resistant; Mildew Resistant

• Cushion Upholstery Material: Polyester/Polyester blend, outdoor fabric

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/darby-home-co-herrin-6-piece-rattan-sofa-seating-group-with-cushions-dbhc8573.html?piid=21978257%2C21978266&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=2

• User
    hace 2 años

As for a dining table, consider getting an outdoor one that can be moved outside later, after you’ve remodelled.

Hourglass 85" Dining Table, B.T. Gold Wash · Más información

Teak Wood Bermuda Rectangular Patio Dining Table, 55"x36" · Más información

Get metal or plastic chairs that can also be taken outdoors as needs change

Highland Commercial Grade Metal Dining Chair, Frosted Teal (Set of 4) · Más información

For a couch, consider a modular sectional to give you max flexibility for experimenting with different furniture arrangements. Instead of getting a sof with an attached chaise, get an ordinary modular sofa and add a big independent ottoman if you need one.

Divani Casa Platte Modern Gray Fabric Modular Sectional Sofa · Más información

Commix Down Filled Overstuffed 5 Piece Sectional Sofa Set, Azure · Más información

• User
    hace 2 años

(PS: If you are pining for an island, you can sometimes find nice counter-height outdoor dining tables, or “bistro” or “pub” tables that would substitute for an island, but it is hard to find big ones. Getting 2 could work.

You can also find indoor counter height tables in all sizes. Personally I don’t like to eat at counterheight tables as an everyday thing but some people prefer it.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

Dining. Maybe something like this.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

A fun combo

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

Furniture Inspiration.

• btydrvn
    hace 2 años

So many great ideas about furnishings...but what i love about using a nice quality outdoor furniture with big comfy cushions is that is beachy..of course...but also so easy to move around as needed in the space..pull a couple chairs up to the fire ...pull one in the corner to read ..push them all against the walls for kids to play indoors...etc....the main decision is color...the brown may look more in-doorsy...the white is so breezy and fresh...but may not be cohesive with the cabinetry?

• Alicia R
    hace 2 años

@LB Interiors love it!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

Here is a bit of a visual with a blue paint color that I mentioned. Your choice of any blue you prefer as long as it is a saturated blue to neutralize the orange. White rattan seating in the background.

You could very well add white furniture for a cottage design.

Not perfect and your white trim and ceiling would appear whiter in reality.

• Kat Berkery
    hace 2 años

@JudyG Designs has the right idea

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 2 años

At a later date, you might like to add some white wainscoting bead board.

• User
    hace 2 años

There is so much fixed orange in that room I doubt painting the walls blue is going to produce any other effect than making the room look orange and blue.

If you are going to invest time and money in painting because you don’t like the orange, don’t paint the white walls. Paint what’s orange in the room, not what’s white.

East Village Duplex · Más información

Sandy House- Sunroom · Más información

Montecito Modern · Más información

Dune View · Más información

Project Island Charm · Más información

If you want to put rugs on a painted floor you can

Amy Trowman Design - Beach Houses · Más información

Sleeping Loft - Kid's Hangout Spot · Más información

• User
    hace 2 años

If painting the floor seems just too daunting and disruptive of your use of the house, go to local carpet store and get tough carpeting cut and trimmed in sufficiently large sizes to cover 80% of the floor.

Just get rid of the orange

Transitional Remodel · Más información

Or check out using FLOR tiles.

Level Setting · Más información

Just Plain Folk · Más información

Settle Down · Más información

Lasting Greatness · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.