Houzz Logo Print
maureenaull

What to do with those cabinets

maureenaull
hace 10 años
Hello Everyone
Struggling on how to better show off these cabinets without tearing them out. Any folks have some suggestions? Thanks?

Comentarios (30)

• brickln
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Perhaps decorative iron or molding on the doors or top edge, or maybe glass doors? I would strip them or change the color to something to give them a more rustic appeal.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    A different color to provide some contrast.
  • Angel 18432
    hace 10 años
    I would paint them the same color as the wall so they don't stand out.
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Every room needs a pop of black......just like the table runner!!!
  • elklaker
    hace 10 años
    Different paint color, glass inserts, beefed up trim (crown, etc.). Needs some drama. Very cool addition to the room. Play it up.
  • chalam711
    hace 10 años
    Remove the upper doors for some open shelving.
  • PRO
    Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
    hace 10 años
    Maureenaull, Can I ask what style your house is? From the arched doorway and clay tile floor, it looks Southwestern. Do you really want to "show off" the cabinets as you said...which means making them more of a feature in the room? Or, do you want to make the cabinets feel more a part of the look of a room with some added style throughout?
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Linda, it is indeed! Stucco southwest in Sedona. Dark orange-pink does not exactly match the color of the red rocks, but that's another dilemma for another post.
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And elklaker, thank you! Some really good suggestions, as are everyone else's.
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    To answer your question Linda, I could go either way. Am completely open to great ideas I am getting from everyone.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Maureenaull, Great! I love Sedona. I used to live in Tucson. Given the Southwestern style, I don't think adding a decorative molding to the top, at least not the kind in the example shown, would match with the style of the home. Because this is such a tall space, I might consider the possibility of adding a shallow display shelf that extends along the walls near the top of the cabinets. Just 6 to 8 inches deep. It would give the room a better sense of scale. You could add some sort of artwork or textile wall hanging above the shelf in the tall space if you like.
    Montlake · Más información

You could add some simple rectangular molding (approximately 2 inches high) to the top of the cabinets and then carry that along the wall as a lip to the shelf. The shelf could be cut at an angle where it meets the cabinet. I think simple and in keeping with the Southwestern look would be a good approach.

I think the shelf and cabinets could be painted a different color. You could go lighter and use a color that is complementary and close to the wall color, but not the same. Or, if you want to feature them, paint them a darker color but something that grounds the cabinets more...a navy blue, or a dark brown... perhaps an accent color in the runner or brought in from some other accessory or piece of furniture in the house.

I like the idea of changing out the doors or removing them. I know that tin is also popular in the Southwest if you want to use that as a part of an inset panel or even nicely nailed (with very small nails) to the outside. Perhaps adding decorative handles would add some style to the cabinets...maybe a painted ceramic handle or a larger more eclectic metal handle.

Perhaps brickln was referring to something like this with the iron:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/55872851599414609/
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow Linda. You have set my mind afire! I like all your suggestions and so appreciate the input about the southwestern style. We just bought the Sedona house this spring and won't be living in it for a few years since we need to keep working away here in Alaska to pay for the purchase! There is a great copper store in Taos that does custom work so once the pinkish paint is gone, perhaps copper insets would fit in nicely. Cannot tell you how much I appreciate the creative thoughts!
  • brickln
    hace 10 años
    Yes, Linda, or directly over the wood and/or some type of scrollwork or appropriate wood trim above to give it more height. I can't compartmentalize the color issue, and I think I've already raised hackles re: compartmentalizing on another post, so I'll refrain from further comment unless requested by the poster.
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Compartmentalize away, brickln! I never criticize people who are trying to help. And this room needs it.
  • brickln
    hace 10 años
    That's just it- I CAN'T compartmentalize and stick to the one question asked, I always see it as a whole. Linda's suggestions are perfect, and she knows the region well- go with her.
    For me, the mauve is a bit jarring against the tile. I would want a color with some yellow, or the bold contrast of a blue.
    If the walls were painted as I imagine a Sedona sunset would look, I could see it blending in perhaps. Not sure how much you'd want to invest if you're renting it out until you live there. Those are some high ceilings!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Maureenaull, I'm glad I could give you some inspiring suggestions. Definitely look around the region when you are there and look at quality furnishings and decor...see what unique designs you can find.

Here's a tall dining space similar to what I had in mind...choose your own colors...molding or shelf...whatever you feel fits in your space. I was thinking the molding/shelf would be lower to match the height of the cabinets, but perhaps having it 2 to 3 feet above the cabinets would be better. Have fun with it! There are so many wonderful ways to go Southwestern. Plus, Sedona probably has it's own regional take on the style.
    Southwestern Dining Room · Más información
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 10 años
    I'd get a mural painter to do them a la Orozco.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    brickln, Neither can I...compartmentalize. I think the best way to look at it is to look at the whole. Everything exists within a context. It's up to the individual to decide whether to acknowledge it and use it as inspiration or go bold and do something entirely different.

The pink paint - at least it looks pink - is disturbing to me as well. Maureenaull, you might want to look for a whole new color scheme! :)
  • PRO
    O'Dea Properties Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Get rid of them
  • mcbriec
    hace 10 años
    I think people have given you great suggestions. But to my eye, the cabinets look far too small in relation to your lovely high ceiling. It makes them look sort of like dollhouse furniture. Since they do not provide valuable storage, and floor space is limited, I would get rid of them and get some lovely new pieces which are of the proper scale and function.
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, the colors are definitely a problem to be addressed. Thankfully the photo makes it look far worse than it actually is, but the previous owners did not quite get the wall color right. The tiles work well, the paint, not so much. Although a few years in the future, I can dream and plan how to improve things and all of you have helped tremendously. Thank you so much.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Brickln, I forgot to thank you for your kind words. Thank you! I think your suggestions are wonderful as well! I could definitely see some bold blue ...perhaps a southwestern distressed aqua blue... in there as an accent.
  • brickln
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful, Linda. I love the idea of defining a line above the doorways for a break in color. I would probably start by painting the whole space in Benjamin Moore Philadelphia Cream, and add the molding. At least that would create a neutral palate for tenants. Paint the cabinets the same color, and decide if adding ornamental iron or wood moldings would enhance the look. Olive green in the kitchen.
  • maureenaull
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Brickln, are you suggesting molding above the cabinet doors or above the arch? And would you take them onto the other two walls? Would the straight horizontal molding partition the room too much and conflict with the rounded arch? I loved the vibrant color on the high dining shot that Linda sent. Apologies for design ignorance. This is my first day at it....
  • brickln
    hace 10 años
    Your taste and good eye deserve the praise, Linda!
  • brickln
    hace 10 años
    Well above the arch like Linda's Southwestern dining room. Also on the doors to give them more heft or decoration. I've seen ironwork attached to doors, but most are paneled with glass inserts. You could replicate that somewhat by placing 2" molding around the doors and attaching the iron to it- maybe even adding mirror to the recess to mimic the glass.

Outdoor Kitchen · Más información
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Brickln, thank you!

Maureenaull, No apologies! I think the height of the molding will depend on the height of your room...and how the height of the doors compare to the lowest point of the ceiling. I'm guessing the ceiling in the example I posted is higher than yours. If you're having a difficult time visualizing how things might look in the space, when you are there, you might buy some colored painter's tape and trying taping a line out where you think the molding should go on the 3 walls in the dining area. It's easy to move! I assume that your room only has 3 walls enclosing the dining area...and that it's open to another room on the side where you stood to take the photo. That might make terminating the molding at outside corners a little bit awkward...unless the other rooms also have tall ceilings and the molding could continue throughout. The use of the shelf idea might be less awkward. You could hold the shelf back from the corners a small distance. But again, that's something you might want to try out. If you want to "build" a quick shelf with a "bracket" or two out of corrugated cardboard, you could tape it to the wall and see how it looks. You could even use layers of cardboard glued together to give it thickness. You could also make a "mock molding" in the same way...tape it to the wall...see how it looks.
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    hace 10 años
    What if you created a shallow table that joined the two and made it look like one larger piece and not those two corner pieces alone. I go with get rid of them. I find corner cupboards hard to use for storage space and two is even harder. Yes, you can get free large sheets of double thick cardboard at Home Depot.. measure and score for an idea of what size you'd want in what would fit in depth. Then a large selection of plates on the wall above would look very cool...
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    hace 10 años
    Also, I like the idea mentioned above of black.. in an semi-gloss for a nice sheen. Remove existing cabinet pulls, fill the double holes before you paint and have only one knob on each. Maybe in a clear as opposed to metallics or a color. Having it meet at each edge with a shallow table is a super idea and can be used for serving. Also, you can use it for holiday decorations, pumpkins, your favorite Christmas things, Ice bucket and champagne with glasses on New Year's Eve!!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.