Houzz Logo Print
webuser_433524028

Alaska White Granite- w/6 kids? Am I crazy?!

Mrs. C
hace 3 años

Hey all, we are granite hunting. I found this gorgeous gal today. White Alaska. Has some personality and some navy ish blues in it.

I have seen some conflicting things about White Alaska....

We are pretty rough with the counters. Butter, lunch, soups etc and we have 6 children (yes...I know, I know how it happens 😉). And sometimes things don’t get wiped up right away. We have a lived in house.

Am I dreaming to think of having a white granite countertops? I am really attached to the idea of white granite.

Help!!!

Comentarios (16)

• Mrs. C
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I guess my question is about STAINING...

• cubby14
    hace 3 años

I have Alaska white and it does not stain. There are some rust spots from the iron in the stone but nothing seems to stain it.

• chiflipper
    hace 3 años

Granite has a "sealer" applied before installation. I've never had mine re-sealed - many homes for many years. Coffee drips, ketchup & tomato sauce splats have never left a stain - even after sitting for a few days.

• chispa
    hace 3 años

Funny, I never think of that granite as being white! It can be quite "yellow" when compared to white ... look at the white paper tag on the slab.

• Keshet Starr
    hace 3 años

One benefit of this slab is that it has a lot of pattern and colors, so even if there are small imperfections I doubt they will be noticeable. I say go for it! (says the mom of soon-to-be-four who chose the pretty counters!)

• lucky998877
    hace 3 años

I have a light granite with lots of movement, and 4 kids. No staining, no problems of any sort. Love the movement, it hides a lot of crumbs ;)

• Cecily Grace zone6
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

We have lighter granite than that, which does have movement and although my son is learning to wipe countertops and let’s say doesn’t always do a thorough job, we have no stains after 3 years. I cook every day, and leave things like cut lemons on it, I’ve found hot sauce residue the next day and wiped with no problem, along with beet juice, anything you can think of, really. I do wipe my counters, by the way! The only thing is that my daughter chipped the edge, but that was because she lifted up a big cast iron skillet that was too heavy for her. Our cats have knocked things over in the night, soda, water which sat all night until the morning and left no stains. I love my countertops!

• M Miller
    hace 3 años

Alaska White is one of the rare whiter granites that do not stain. You apply sealer once a year, and you will be fine. It's a beautiful slab you got there.

As to Chispa saying above that it is yellow. It is not. I promise you it is not. And her comparing it to a white piece of paper - any stone will not look white against a white piece of paper.

• PRO
    Morningstar Stone & Tile
    hace 3 años

Granite, of any color and flow, is a fantastic choice for families with kids. While no material -natural or manmade- is 100% bulletproof, granite comes close. Etching and staining should not be an issue like marble or soapstone would be. Plus it will be sealed adding additional durability. Be bold, go for it, and enjoy it for years to come. Love your choice!!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

Get it polished not honed ot leathered and staining will not be an issue I honestly have clients who have had white granite for years and never sealed it either .

• Mrs. C
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you all for the feedback. My cold feet are getting warm again. ☺️

• chispa
    hace 3 años

The OP didn't say if they were using white cabinets, so my comment stands! :-)

If the OP does use white cabinets, the counters will not look white, but will look off-white, yellow-white, tan, etc. depending on the chosen white. Just something to keep in mind.

• Mrs. C
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Chispa, I could understand that. I am planning on doing a darker wood stain on my current honey oak cabinets. Thnx

• Kathy Jerding
    hace 2 años

Mrs. C- have any pictures of your kitchen? :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

that granite looks more like Blue Flower rather than Alaska White.

if it has any of these soft blue colors, it's Blue Flower

It should be fine. Apply a good sealer to it. if water beads up on the stone, it's sealed. when water begins to absorb, it needs sealing again.

Test a small piece that has been sealed with tomato products, oil, red juice, etc. see if it stains. if not, go for it

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.