soonermagicmama

help redesign fireplace

soonermagicmama
hace 3 años

In the middle of a reno and want to change this fireplace. I don't like:

• framed in TV, outdated look
  • TV is old and needs to be replaced anyway
  • cast surround is not my style
  • cast surround pulls away from wall, cracks and gaps on either side (fixed and keeps happening)
  • opening in surround is undersized.

Second photo is my idea of how to redesign it. The simple mantle will be the same stain and thickness as beams in ceiling in this room.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Comentarios (18)

• PRO
    User
    hace 3 años

I do love the existing fireplace but agree that the TV enclosure feels odd/outdated. If you really feel out of sync with your fireplace I would look up "modern Spanish style fireplaces" to get some inspiration that better suits your home. I get what you're trying to communicate with your inspiration posted above but I don't think it's truly hitting the mark.

• soonermagicmama
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Here are more photos of the rest of the room if that helps. The photo of the fireplace is from when previous owners were moving out so isn't a great one.

• soonermagicmama
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

A photo of the fireplace today as we have the room decorated (ignore messy coffee table!)

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    hace 3 años

So, looking at your idea, you are going to need to figure out what material to cover the wall. If you come up with a facing that you think you might like, I may be able to show you how it will look. Here are some mockups to get your stimulate your imagination:

Large Format Ionic Copper Tiles

Chevron Pattern Tiles

Ledger Stone

Concrete

Nothing

• suezbell
    hace 3 años

Is this a wood burning fireplace or gas and does it provide heat frequently or only when the power is out? or is it an electric fireplace? Do you actually use it or is it decor only?

• suezbell
    hace 3 años

If any part of the fireplace or firebox is cracking, then I suggest having an inspection by a pro to make sure the chimney is safe to use as is before you invest heavily in the firebox and room rennovation around it. It may be that you need to line the chimney with triple wall pipe to use this as a wood burning fireplace or you may need to rethink the fuel and choose a gas or electric fireplace.

• soonermagicmama
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you all for the comments. There is no chimney; it's vented. It is not wood-burning. Gas that comes on with a flick of a switch. It gets quite hot (and, yes, as part of the renovation, I am having it checked out as to whether it's set too hot and whether the venting is properly working). We use it frequently.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    hace 3 años

@soonermagicmama vent and chimney mean the same thing, so if it is vented, it has a chimney. Whether that chimney is a metal pipe or built from masonry is a separate issue. From what I can see, it appears to be a wood burning fireplace with a gas log installed. It could also be a vented gas fireplace, but it's hard to tell from the pictures. Seeing as it appears to be installed on an inside wall, the chimney (or vent) would go straight up through the roof.

When I first began working on the mockups I had already observed the gas logs inside the fireplace as you can see in this blurry blowup. It does not look to me like a gas fireplace, it looks more like a wood burning fireplace with a gas log installed. This is a bit technical, but it does make a difference on what you can and cannot do around the fireplace.

For example, if it is truly just a gas fireplace, you could probably remove the hearth (not that you need to) and you may be able to have combustible material installed right up to the fireplace opening. If it is a wood burning fireplace that has a gas log installed you would be required to keep the hearth and have only non-combustible material within 8" on the sides and 12" at the top of the opening.

If it is important to you to know what you have, post a couple closeup pictures and I'll help you identify it. I need to see a picture like the view below (but clear) and one looking up at the top inside the fireplace where the damper would be.

• soonermagicmama
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

There is no chimney; it is not wood burning; I turn it on with a flick of a switch. We've had read chimneys with real wood-burning fireplaces (loved the authenticity) in all other homes we've owned. This is not that.

• Usuario de Houzz-765755942
    hace 3 años

What a shame. Your current fireplace is nicer than any of the other examples shown. All the rest already seem dated and something I would demo, yours is beautiful and timeless.

• tfitz1006
    hace 3 años

Nice shelf styling. on the right side, I'd swap the blue vase with the silver one to mix it up a bit. If your budget allows, can you buy one of those tvs that have a frame and look like a picture when you're not watching them? I like your fp and would not change it b/c I think it goes well in your very pretty house.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    hace 3 años

What through me off is you said "it's vented. It is not wood burning". I think what you might have is and "Unvented gas fireplace". It will be important to know exactly what it is in order to get the correct clearances to combustible so people in this forum will know what recommendations will be appropriate. Maybe you can post the pictures I asked for, it would be helpful. If it is a prefabricated unvented gas fireplace, it will have an owner's manual that spells out all the requirements.

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    hace 3 años

Check out this idea

• Jean
    hace 3 años

Temporary solution - paint the frame around the tv either the same blue color as the wall or black, so that it disappears.

• soonermagicmama
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hansen Wholesale - my apologies. I missed that you asked for a photo. Here it is. The top of the fire box is solid. The cylinder on the side is what I think is the vent ... but maybe it is ventless after all? I know my builder on this small renovation (who did the extensive renovation for the previous homeowner and put this in) said I do need a surround that is not combustible

• soonermagicmama
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Tfitz - you are so on track! We are going with the frame TV that displays art when not in use. Hubby and the electronics! I appreciate the shelf styling tip .... making that swap now!

Everyone else - I think I've been talked into living with this surround. But the pulling away from the wall has to be fixed because it looks so bad!

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    hace 3 años

Interesting fireplace. That vent on the left side is an outside air duct, not an exhaust vent. If there is no vent at the top and it is solid as you have described, then this is a ventless fireplace. I've never seen one constructed from masonry with an outside air duct. Not sure there are even any building codes that provide rules for such a fireplace, but obviously it passed inspection (assuming you did have an inspection).

On to the real question: I love the idea of the art TV. Here's a Samsung Framed Art TV shown with a black frame. I added a Custom Arched Wrought Iron Fireplace Screen to tie it in.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.