Houzz Logo Print
erin_luke97

antique cabinets in kitchen remodel

Erin Luke
hace 3 años

Hello there!

We’re embarking on a kitchen remodel of our 1906 home. The last time the kitchen was updated was in the 1970s. My goal is to bring a feeling of the original kitchen into the remodel. I’ve been thinking of how to do this and have found a lot of great new kitchens online that use antiques or tile that looks more historic. Today I found the bottom half of a bar. It’s the right size in every way. I love it and I want it and I’ll be saving thousands of dollars using this piece instead of ordering 3 to 4 cabinets bases from our manufacturer. But I’m nervous about blending the new cabinets we will need with these antique ones. Had anyone used antiques for the built in aspects of their kitchens? Not just a table or hutch? This piece will get a counter top on top of it and become some of the most used counter space in the kitchen.

Thanks!

Comentarios (11)

• Isaac
    hace 3 años

I really wanted to do the same thing, but concluded that in our medium sized kitchen, maximizing storage was crucial, which means lots of drawers - and that probably means new cabinets.

That bar cabinet is lovely, and if storage weren't at such a premium I would love to use something like that.

• Helen
    hace 3 años

I agree with @Isaac as I have a relatively small kitchen and wanted to be able to maximize every square inch.

I wanted my kitchen to have a Arts & Crafts/Prairie feel and I think I achieve that with new cabinets.

• Erin Luke
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Yea! Soapstone is out counter material! I’m thinking white shaker cabinets for the rest to keep things simple. We wanted to go with a color but this woof should be the texture and color we need

• einportlandor
    hace 3 años

Can't wait to see the finished project!

• julieste
    hace 3 años

We have a 1916 house. 25 or 30 years ago we bought the entire kitchen from a mansion that was having the kitchen gutted. Incredible price of $500. Since it was a really large house and kitchen, we got way more cupboards than we could use. But, i was able to configure them to work. Then, I hired a custom cabinet maker to make additional cabinets for the sink, wall oven and around the fridge.

I wanted the natural look of old birch, and I had to strip all of the old cabinets because they had some kind of glaze on them. I stained both the old and the newly made cabinets, and no one could tell which were the old and which were the newly built. The cabinets (to my eye) still look great today, and they are appropriate to the period of the house.

I am not there, so sorry but no photos.

• Sigrid
    hace 3 años

White, glass-front cabinets would probably work well.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 3 años

I bought some vintage cabinets from a craigslist seller, who bought them from a school which was being demolished. The bases look very similar to yours, but with inset doors. They are only 16" deep, so one was used as a buffet in the DR, set out from the wall to be 18" deep. I used the other set in the kitchen--two sections of the base fit perfectly against a bumpout from the LR, and the third section was modified to be deeper. I also had to add a small cabinet at the end, to fill the run. All cabinets were painted to match. The uppers are only 9" deep. The uppers in the DR have no doors--just open shelves where I keep my china and some silverplate pieces. The upper kitchen cabinets have glass doors, with shirred curtains hiding my baking staples, medicine cabinet items, coffee, tea, etc. On the top shelf, above the curtains, I have some vintage planters displayed. I have plenty of storage space in the pantry and other sections of the kitchen, so it was easy to make the choice (and as with yours, the price was great). If I was short on storage space, the choice would have been more difficult, but I love the vintage look.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 3 años

what is the size/ dimensions of your kitchen and this piece?

I think it's a great idea but all depends on the space.

Also can you provide a oicture from the front of it for the visual of the overall look for complimentary cabinets?

A lot of older kitchens didn't have a ton of cabinets like we know today.

Some additional antique kitchen hutches to flank it or used for the remaining cabinets and shelves river this piece or new cabinets with this as the island or this and shelves as your main and an antique table as your island.

There's a few options depending on your space!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

My cabinets in seller's garage:

In progress in kitchen--work was all DIY, with help from family members:

Another in progress:
    With doors and new 'vintage' latches. Narrow cabinet on left is new:

Finished kitchen uppers:
    DR cabinets, paint is Adobe White and Dried Hydrangea:

• PRO
    PAINT POWER
    hace 3 años

Hello there! Don't be scared, we think your idea will look great, just try to match the colors and put some cool latches. That will make the difference.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.