Houzz Logo Print
kylediyer

UPDATED - Before and After - Kitchen and living space

Kyle
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 7 meses

UPDATED - Kitchen is finished. Please see the before, during and after and let us know what you think. Still have some decorating to finish and hanging stuff on the walls, and the chandelier has been changed, just don't have a picture of that yet.

We are in the planning phase of remodeling our kitchen. We have a galley style kitchen, which is located on the interior of our home. One of the walls used to be an exterior wall, but the screened in patio on the other side was finished in. So now we have no exterior walls associated with the kitchen. We would like to open up the living spaces and kitchen as an open concept. Still need to get in the overhead to see what kind of support we have on some walls. We are willing to knock down walls and pay for engineering a support beams/posts to facilitate an open concept. Looking for layout ideas to help the spaces flow together. Don't mind my rough sketch of our home, not to scale. Thanks for your help in advance!!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

We need a to scale floor plan with all meausrements clearly marked all windows doorways and the walls that are there that you want to remove I like kitchens open to DRs but not LRS great spaces looks like a MCM ranch Your lighting will need to be upgraded for sure and you give us no idea of your budget I need that to scale floor plan for sure

Kyle agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • bluemarble
    hace 3 años

What an unusual layout...I am mesmerized by the possibilities and/or limitations LOL. Agree with Patricia you will improve the space greatly with new lighting. My first thoughts are to have the living space up front with the dining area above it and the kitchen shifted to the left - expanding all of it into the area that used to be the back porch. I would have preferred to have the back porch myself. Looking forward to seeing where you end up.

• herbflavor
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

get a neutral off white and paint away the blocks of colors. It will feel lighter and you can get a better feel how this may flow. Open the blinds and see what light surfaces and some daylight in the space does for the overall feel . You have chunks of space but its hard ,right now , to tell how this might flow and what to do with kitchen placement.. A hardwood floor throughout would do wonders...but its too soon for that.

• Boxerpal
    hace 3 años

That is a beautiful space that you will have fun working on. We always start our projects with our trusted GC. He has a team he works with including a structural engineer that can quickly asses what we can and can't do. Then we decide if we want to hire an architect or not. How much do we want to spend. If you are doing this yourself, I suggest getting an engineer in there to see what is going on. If it is a load bearing wall it can still be changed you just need a plan and some money to make it work.

Kyle agradeció a Boxerpal
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    hace 3 años

Kyle: Time to think about MAJOR skylights to flood the kitchen with natural light! As well as well-placed recessed cans and undercabinet lights. Just because it's interior doesn't mean it has to feel claustrophobic!

Kyle agradeció a Doug Walter Architect
  • 3z3z3
    hace 3 años

I agree with Doug Walter; install skylights or solar tubes first thing. My roofer gave me two solar tubes and wow! they make a world of difference. Now the kitchen is bright and cheerful all the time, Puts a new perspective on things. Also choose the lighting warmth (Kelvin) of your LED lights carefully. I like about 4000 for a cheerful atmosphere in work spaces.

• Kyle
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

Please take a look at how our final design came out, and let us know what you think.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 meses

Looks amazing!

• ch47gunnergirl
    hace 7 meses

Looks great, love all the added lighting. That is a massive space, and it looks like you've made it flow well for your family!

Kyle agradeció a ch47gunnergirl
  • Kyle
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

The can lighting was a must! Before the room was never bright enough, even with natural light in the afternoon. We love how the space flows now.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.