Houzz Logo Print
webuser_137559762

Facade renovation 90's brick house

Usuario de Houzz-137559762
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

Looking for ideas for a facade renovation. Currently no landscaping or fencing so almost a blank canvas. Not wanting to go ultra modern, more Hamptons/Bungalow style so thinking a combination of cladding and rendering. Pics attached. Thoughts?

Comentarios (14)

• Kate
    hace 3 años

I’d start by changing the ridge capping to match roof colour. And the green gutters. Security door could do with update. Then it’s dressing. Crying out for a garden and flowers and plants on verandah and seat with cushions to add colour. The big blank wall also needs dressing. The columns could be clad.
    By hamptons do you mean you want a white and Grey house with timber windows?

Usuario de Houzz-137559762 agradeció a Kate
  • User
    hace 3 años

I'll echo Kate's closing comment -- it is never , ever , ever going to be Hamptons without spending $200k , and even then it will have compromises .

The green gutters are weird -- redo them the same as the roof , or go charcoal . I think the base of the uprights are also green ? Charcoal them too , and I'd do those uprights in crisp white -- they look a bit 'dirty' in that off-white , especially against the bricks . By the way , they could probably do with a waterblast too .

I like the gables as they are -- adds interest IMO .

Possibly tile the terrace , maybe a charcoal or black nice slate tile . The other combo that may work would be a terracota or even beigey tile , with the uprights done in slate stacked horizontally , but it runs the risk of looking overdone .

And then landscape , Get a lawn edger , put in a white picket fence , a rock garden with plants in a variety of leaves -- greens and browns and reds and tall and short . A $150 or $250 letterbox . A couple of brighter coloured glazed pots on the terrace .

Make it look like a home , not a lowest possible maintanence rental .

Usuario de Houzz-137559762 agradeció a User
  • me me
    hace 3 años

I agree with Potsy, this will never look like a Hamptons house. If you try to put Hamptons features over the top, you could ruin the house, then when Hamptons goes out of fashion it will look even worse.
    Landscaping, fence, new letterbox will make this into a really attractive home.

Usuario de Houzz-137559762 agradeció a me me
  • Usuario de Houzz-137559762
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks all. What about rendering?

• Kate
    hace 3 años

It up to you. Of course you can render if that is what you would like.

• Kate
    hace 3 años

Hamptons make over

• dreamer
    hace 3 años

Why spend money on rendering a perfectly good brick home.
    Paint the ridge capping.
    Paint the verandah posts, trims, downpipes and gutters the same colour. Maybe a charcoal to match your windows.
    Landscape, landscape, landscape.

Usuario de Houzz-137559762 agradeció a dreamer
  • Andrew B
    hace 3 años

A quick easy win is to update with some nice outdoor lighting outside the front door and wall of veranda.

As others have said match the ridge capping and get rid of the green. The brick looks ok to me I‘d consider other cosmetics before rendering. Window treatments, garden, reticulation etc as better money spent.

Then would you just render the front or whole house.

• Laura Beaupeurt
    hace 3 años

Rendering makes a house look bland. Do as others say. You could put a garden with a water feature between the blank wall and path. An outdoor mirror behind the water feature could look nice.

• Kate
    hace 3 años

Another pic

• dreamer
    hace 3 años

The garden is nice.

• wuff
    hace 3 años

@kate. Beautiful render but covering that stone very sad

• Kate
    hace 3 años

It’s like wanting curly hair. I look at my house and it’s a 50.’ S bungalow and has been bagged and painted. I bought it that way 20 years ago love it and can’t imagine it not like that. I look at the house down the road, same vintage single storey and they have done a faux French provincial update to facade even adding parapet walls hiding the original roof line. Someone likes that, but it ain’t me.
    But I don’t own it so they can do what they like and I can look the other way. People have been painting, bagging and rendering brick for a long time and it’s not brought the world down.
    Long and short. If you like it do it.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.