Houzz Logo Print
kristin_rebecca

Bathroom Reno Part 2 Before/After Pics DIY Project

RenoGirl
hace 3 años

This is part 2 of our master bathroom reno- we did this bathroom in 2 stages and still have a little bit to finish up (including a shower door, potential runner rug, a small bit of art and fancy light above the toilet we will be adding in the spring.) My husband and I are experienced DIYers and gutted this bathroom down to the studs and built it back up- going from 1 sink to 2, a bathtub to a shower, removing an old small closet to gain space, changing out 2 swinging doors that took up much needed space in the bathroom to a sliding barn door and a pocket door. The shower has some serious and sound waterproofing behind those tiles. We saved a ton of money doing it ourselves (this was by no means an easy DIY job) and by using IKEA kitchen cabinets. The wood counter is from IKEA $210 (sealed extremely well with poly, this is not a countertop for a bathroom with children as it can be scratched or scorched. I use a cork pad for my curling iron. Its been holding up well over the past 8 months however, and looks as good as when we installed it. Zero water mark issues.) The flooring is not tile, but is Tarkett Fiberfloor, which is inexpensive, soft, warm and easy to clean. We used textured faux grasscloth wallpaper from Lowes on the backsplash and towel hook wall. The extra long neck faucets are from Amazon at a cost of about $70 each (and I adore them.) The hammered copper with a nickel finish sinks are from Home Depot (purchased online during a black friday sale.) We used about 750 subway tiles (American Olean Starting Line in White Gloss from Lowes which have self spacers) for the shower. The shower niche was on sale from Wayfair. This bathroom always had a humidity problem after showering (and we live in a dry climate)...the Panasonic bath fan we put in was like magic. Highly recommend the brand. Very quiet and powerful.

As usual, we realize this won't be everyones cup of tea here, as we all have different tastes. It fits our personalities and style and we love it. We like to show what you can do on your own if you don't have access to a very large budget- but do have access to determination, imagination and are willing to do most of the work yourself.

You can see more of the renos we've done to this house in my profile.

Before:

In this photo you can see the old closet space inside the bathroom on the right hand side that we removed to allow us to have the room for 2 sinks.

Comentarios (36)

• crcollins1_gw
    hace 3 años

Oh, that's beautiful! I love so many things about it! And what a drastic improvement! You did an excellent job.

RenoGirl agradeció a crcollins1_gw
  • unwantedadvice
    hace 3 años

Beautiful remodel. I’m a big fan of the counter cabinet between the sinks as well as the flooring. I’d never heard of that before either. I’ll assume the wallpaper is washable and I like it. And yes, who would put a wood counter in a bathroom but it’s beautiful and warms the room right up. Multiple coats of poly will do the trick. Excellent work for being DIYers!! Now what type of shower doors are you getting?

RenoGirl agradeció a unwantedadvice
  • DCF-Z6A
    hace 3 años

Beautiful!!!! Love the touches of blue!

I assume those are faux orchids. Where did you get them? Did they come in the vases? So pretty!

RenoGirl agradeció a DCF-Z6A
  • RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

DCF-Z6A I picked up the orchids at HomeSense (HomeGoods in the US). They were pretty realistic and have that real feel to them. They were in the really cute vases but looked bare to me towards the bottom so I bought some ferns from Michaels and tore the individual stems apart and stuck them into the pot. Perfection! I like the blue too, Thank you! Heres a closer pic of the flowers.

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

unwantedadvice The flooring is essentially sheet vinyl. They have gorgeous patterns now that even look like those gorgeous cement tiles if you look in the sample books. I had already used this in an entryway and loved it so wanted to continue its use in the bathroom. So versatile in its coloring....grays and taupes. https://www.lowes.ca/product/sheet-vinyl-cut-to-length/tarkett-12-ft-w-grey-geometric-fiberfloor-sheet-vinyl-489408

The wallpaper is vinyl and textured and totally washable. I used it on a feature wall behind our bed so wanted to use it in the master bath to join the 2 spaces visually.

I'm still looking at shower doors. I was thinking of a black framed door like this perhaps (, but it might be too much with this beautiful moravian star light I have in black for above the toilet, which lends a ton of drama to the room. I'm open to suggestions!

I love that counter cabinet too!

Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dreamline-unidoor-toulon-58-58-1-2-inch-w-x-72-inch-h-frameless-hinged-shower-door-in-satin-black/1001191052

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 3 años

Wow, This is awesome!

• unwantedadvice
    hace 3 años

RenoGirl, the shower doors are divine!! I’m not, however, seeing the Moravian star light you mentioned but see no reason the two wouldn’t work together. Thanks for the links and I’d already passed the flooring link to a friend who’s redoing her kitchen floor. And since you mentioned some patterns mimicking cement tiles, I might use that myself in my laundry room. Win win!! ~D

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

unwantedadvice sorry about that, I missed the link for the light:

https://www.wayfair.ca/lighting/pdp/birch-lane-1-light-single-star-pendant-c002105565.html?piid=1237489091

I just am working through in my head whether the doors and light are too much for that space together being so close together.

• weedyacres
    hace 3 años

Nice work (from a fellow DIY-er)! I think those shower doors are cool, but I don't think they match with the browns and silvers you've got in the tiles, wallpaper and fixtures. I would go for a simpler semi-frameless glass door with silver hardware. There are some kits you can buy at Lowes and install yourself pretty easily.

• Bev
    hace 3 años

Gorgeous! Love the barn door! My hubby and I will be redoing our main bathroom sometime this year. I want to get rid of the acrylic tub, which I hate (the previous owners had something like Bath Fitters done where all they do is cover the tub and use tub surround made of acrylic). Since we have a small, tight bathroom and there is no way to expand without eating up bedroom space, my husband will build another barn door for our bathroom as well!

• acm
    hace 3 años

You should be aware that barn doors do little to contain sound and are poor at containing damp as well. The look is great, but many people regret the functionality...

• mcguirks
    hace 3 años

I'd love to hear more about using Ikea cabinets in the bathroom as I'm thinking about doing the same!

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

acm the barn door has been in for 3 or 4 years now. Its really been no different than the swinging door that we had as far as sound goes. It could be how our bathroom is laid out, but sound really hasn't been an issue with us. We haven't had any damp issues at all with it. We live in a dry climate anyway and if humidty escape the bathroom its fine with us! We can use it. Its actually been one of our favorite parts of the house. We love it! I do agree they don't work in all situations, but we've not regretted it once.

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

mcguirks The only thing you need to be aware of is that the kitchen cabinets are deeper and taller than bathroom cabinets. If you have the room and aren't overly short, they work great! We actually love the extra storage room. If you have more questions, just let me know! I'll do my best to answer.

• unwantedadvice
    hace 3 años

RenoGirl, thanks for the star pendant link. It’s very pretty but I notice it says ‘dry location.’ Because it’s metal and close to the shower I hope it doesn’t take on rust at some point. I know you said the exhaust fan was fabulous but I’d still be careful in choosing your light material. And I do think two black pieces would look fine in the space. I’d assume the light over the toilet wouldn’t hang down quite as far as, let’s say, a dining room light would. Maybe others can chime in on this. ~D

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    hace 3 años

Very impressive!! love the Ikea cabinets. I have that same countertop on my dry bar.

Can you tell me the size and make of the shower pan?

• PRO
    PAINT POWER
    hace 3 años

What an impressive remodeling job! Enjoy!

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

unwantedadvice We haven't had an issue with any metal fixtures rusting before in here, even when we did have a humidity problem on the ceiling above the shower previously. The new fan, and a few other changes seems to have corrected that. My husband reminded me that the previous fan was not even hooked into the roof vent when he was in the attic. Thats since been corrected and the mirrors don't even fog up anymore now. The nice thing about renos....you find what the previous homeowner/builder did wrong and can correct them lol. We have an electrician friend who advises us and can help out when needed and we did check with him on whether we could put a light there and he said no problem. It wont be hanging as low as a chandelier for sure so it wont be in your eyes or bumpable when standing up ;)

Rory (Zone 6) The shower pan is a Dreamline Slimline 30x60 which replaced a tub of the same size. We "could" have gone with a 32x60 but stuck with the same size and its been good for size. Feels nice and roomy when showering. We like it. Has a nice textured bottom, drains perfectly and has low profile sides. We bought from Wayfair. It had pretty great reviews.

• unwantedadvice
    hace 3 años

RenoGirl, sounds like a plan then re the light fixture. And that’s a good thing as it’s very pretty. I noticed they make a flush one too. I’m def going to look up your exhaust fans as I need new ones and yours sound quite good. And quiet! It’s amazing what previous owners did or had no idea what is up in attic spaces, etc. in a home. Good catch on the fan. Keep us informed with any new pix as you complete the master bath. ~D

• unwantedadvice
    hace 3 años

Btw, would you mind sharing the link for the Panasonic exhaust fan?? I’d appreciate it. ~D

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

unwantedadvice heres the range of bathroom fans they have...cant recall which one we bought but it was a "Whisper". They all had awesome reviews. Really love the fan and quiet. We can carry on a conversation while one of us is showering and with the fan on!

https://www.homedepot.com/s/panasonic%2520bathroom%2520fan?NCNI-5

• unwantedadvice
    hace 3 años

RenoGirl, thanks so much for the link, I appreciate it. I did start looking them up on Lowe’s as well. ~D

• lisams
    hace 3 años

This bathroom is beautiful to me! I love especially the cabinets and warm wood countertops and have been eying similar mirrors. Great job! Do you happen to know faucet brand/style name?

RenoGirl agradeció a lisams
  • Boxerpal
    hace 3 años

Hold on to your horses this is spectacular. Honestly this is an incredible transformation.

Thanks for posting these photos. I wish you could come change mine.

RenoGirl agradeció a Boxerpal
  • RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

lisams heres the link to the faucets. They are solid, heavy, high quality and clean up great. They also swivel. I really love them. Amazing for the price. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BSDMCXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• lisams
    hace 3 años

Thanks so much! I’m trying to locate on Amazon here (you must be in Canada); found a tub filler I like but yet to find the sink faucet.

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

lisams I am in Canada. I know they have some beautiful fixtures but not sure what they carry thats available within the US. Hope you find something you love!

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    hace 3 años

What fa fantastic job. This is beautiful. Love the color in the floor tile

• PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    hace 3 años

What a great job!! Love the shower enclosure you're thinking of putting up..

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    hace 3 años

This is fantastic! Congrats on your DIY!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    hace 3 años

Gorgeous!! You did such an amazing job! I love the touch of wood throughout the bathroom.

• RenoGirl
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

A couple more little updates to our bathroom- a bit of art above the towel hooks and toilet

• telesaps
    hace 2 años

You did an amazing job! Thank you for posting and providing all the info on the products you used.

• mnzinnia
    hace 2 años

We did some similar updates in a bathroom. I really like the deeper cabinets as you can have faucets further from the wall making cleaning easier and no need for a backsplash. It also allows for a nice deeper tower with more functional space. We used the same sheet vinyl in another bathroom and laundry room update and liked it very much -- no grout to clean which was especially nice as the dogs food and water bowls were in the laundry room.

• PRO
    Badeloft
    hace 2 años

excellent job!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.