Houzz Logo Print
donbenjy

1930s semi kitchen extension

Ben
hace 3 años

Hi, we're looking for some suggestions for a proposed kitchen extension for our 1930s semi. We want an open plan space, but we're not sure what to do with the front room. If we don't knock through, we're worried we might not be able to use the space.

If we do knock through, that middle space seems a bit wasted, and it becomes a really large corridor.

The kitchen and furniture placement is very rough at the moment...just looking for some ideas that will help use the space the best.

We have 2 young kids, so we want a space that works well now, but also grows with them too.

Comentarios (13)

• Ellie
    hace 3 años

Sounds like you don't need the extension then. Worst thing is when houses have an extension stuck on without blending in the original house then you are left with unused rooms. Open up front room, and blend it in, so your extension may not be needed, or be smaller.

• Ben
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Oh we definitely need more space! Just want to make sure that the space is best optimised!

• keiblem
    hace 3 años

Could you perhaps swap the rooms around? Have the kitchen in the room with the bay window, dining in the middle and expansive living to the rear?

• PRO
    APT Renovation Limited
    hace 3 años

Hi Ben may I ask where the property is located?

• User
    hace 3 años

Keep the front room seperate. It could be used as a home office in these days of WFH. Your second plan is better than first, but might I suggest moving the cloakroom door to the hallway. I'd move the utility room door to the kitchen area too, then you have more wall space.

• CWD
    hace 3 años

Was going to write exactly the same as sunshineband34. Keep the front room, it will become more useful as the kids get older, but even when they're little it's always nice to have a toy-free zone to escape to.

• hedgehog99
    hace 3 años

Yes definitely keep the separate front room - before you know it your children will be teenagers and you'll want to be doing different things in different rooms, as well as having space to come together. It's becoming a very traditional layout - open plan kitchen/dining/living, with a separate sitting room - and is probably the layout most often looked for by family buyers. Can you explain more about why you think you wouldn't be able to use the space?

• PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    hace 3 años

Hi Ben, once you have decided on a layout, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote

• Ben
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks for the comments so far. The main concern was just whether we’d feel connected to the back of the house: currently while the adults are in the kitchen we can’t communicate with the kids in the front room, though I can definitely see why that’s not always a bad thing!

wc and utility are very much still work in progress, so wanted to get an overall picture before getting into the details!

• keiblem
    hace 3 años

Playroom in the middle? Handy for the utility and cloakroom if you have paint brushes and sticky hands to clean. If you include good storage in this area then it could all easily be cleaned away for formal dining or visitors.

• Ben
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I like this idea! Keeps the mess out of the kitchen and gives them their own space, thanks!

• keiblem
    hace 3 años

I well remember my son’s artistic endeavours. There was always more on him than on the paper! Also having a toilet near to where they play can be valuable when they become so engrossed they pay little heed to the urge until the very last minute.
    As to your other concerns about the front room being under utilised have you considered pocket or bifold doors between all three zones? This would give you the flexibility of opening up or shutting off the zones to suit your evolving needs. Future proofing I think is what they call it.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.