Houzz Logo Print
deanna_betts

Exterior Makeover

Deanna Betts
hace 3 años

Hi all! My 2018 ranch needs some help- it’s so plain! What would you recommend to make it more visually appealing? New siding color? Cedar shingles? Corbels/trusses? Our sub is very craftsman style.

Comentarios (46)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

cute house, but that far right side does need something. any chance of enlarging or adding another window?

that side could also use something w/some height. taller plants, maybe an arbor, something around that window.

you see how they did the right side? when those grow a bit they'll get the height. Your space is even taller

you could do some wood shake or board/batten in the gable areas.

or, jasmine roth did this one

notice how the taller plants flank the window

bring in some cedar or redwood w/window boxes, as well as the others.

maybe paint your trim or shutters a better color

• jck910
    hace 3 años

I would leave siding as is. Remove shutters from the window to right of the door. Paint the other shutters (although they are too small I think you need them) black. Paint the door black and the sidelights white. Upgrade the landscaping. Add Black trellises to the right side. One on each side of the window. Something like this (substantial) but black Paint the window box black. Upgrade the walk to the front door so that it is visible

• Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 3 años

Love all Beth’s ideas. Amazing!! I’d also paint the trim black

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I love all the ideas! I’d also love to do black but I didn’t think it was possible to paint the trim of the actual windows?

• felizlady
    hace 3 años

Shutters look phony unless they are the correct size for the window: If you were to close them as protection in a storm, the shutters should completely cover the window or door and have a mechanism to lock them in place. At least some of your shutters look a bit small to be functional.
    I would suggest new natural stained-wood shutters in the proper sizes, and perhaps shingles in the gables in a matching wood. You have gorgeous trees mainly behind the house. I would add one or three trees out front...perhaps semi-dwarf maples (the tag will tell you how tall and wide the trees are expected to grow). You seem to have a small Japanese maple at the left corner, which will be beautiful on a smaller scale. “Semi-dwarf” does not mean the tree will never be taller than 5 feet...it means that is is bred to be smaller than standard trees....it could grow to 15 feet.
    Your current foundation plants will fill out and grow a bit taller in time.

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Yes the shutters are fake. I agree they are too small!

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Our shutters and front door used to be a dark gray but I thought the contrast made the house look smaller so I painted them lighter until I figured out what to do with them.

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

You can also see in this last picture that the siding is a creamy off white/yellow color. It’s just not my taste which is why we were thinking of replacing it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

are the windows vinyl? if so, then painting them really isn't an option.

if there was some type of trim around the windows, you could paint that.

what do you think about do some type of wood in the gable over the door, or both, or even all three?

you could even do another color

I've also seen a composite wood siding used there as well.

I like what you've done to the rest of the home, color wise. maybe look into the wood shutter option? a few of the window boxes, the tall plants. that should give you a nice change

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I love your suggestions. I’ve totally considered a cedar shake and think we are going to go that route plus add gables into the peaks. The windows are vinyl, unfortunately, so painting isn’t an option especially in MI with the fluctuating temps!

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Very rough sketch (lol!) but thinking something like this

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

yes! I like that too. you could do the vertical board and batten type of material in the gables, but I'd go with something for some contrast.

or the horizontal like this one shows

I'd like your white with the wood, and maybe something like BM Wrought Iron for the darker portions.

see how there is trim around the windows? and the fascia is darker? like that.

here's a visual on the shake

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

damn celery! there you go again! yes!

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Ok Celery and Beth you guys ROCK!

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hey celery do you think the stone would look good all the way to the left of front door? Or did you leave as is for balance?

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I should clarify: Our left

• cbreagan
    hace 3 años

I would also need up the pillars on your porch. If you’re going to use cedar trim elsewhere, you might consider wrapping the posts with cedar.

• cbreagan
    hace 3 años

Sorry, beef up , not need!

• flopsycat1
    hace 3 años

No help here, but I’m totally envious of your gorgeous Fall leaf colors!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 3 años

I would not go with stones all the way on left, just middle part.

too heavy look.

• Beth Allen
    hace 3 años

Good morning! I would definitely transplant the Japanese maple at the corner of the house. You need a tall evergreen there, plus it is too close to the foundation. It may look nice in the corner formed by the house and garage, but don't plant it too close to the foundation..

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Good points everyone! Thank you all!

• smacasa
    hace 3 años

I'd focus on landscaping rather than renovating, especially at the right-hand side of the house. Even if you make changes to the house itself, the landscaping will need attention.

• bargainhunter
    hace 3 años

Some of the renderings look great but my biggest thing is you need more or bigger windows. Full stop. Your house looks nice but must be seriously dark

• Snaggy
    hace 3 años

Bigger window on the right side would help

• Sandra Simpson
    hace 3 años

This house has a lot of good things going for it. But it has a lot of points, which subconsciously is not so welcoming to me. Another paint color with trim paint will work wonders. First change paint, add trim paintTry and reduce the points or bring less attention to them. Of course landscaping will soften any entrance but the first thing that one can always update to change a is the front door. A bold color and bold door. Can't see close up but put money into the door. Extend the porch across the front patio. When you extend the porch consider a trellis or replace from the "porch entrance" now all the way across, using the same roof line. Can you add some circular design? There is a craftsman design that has an arch in the roof over the front door. With the paint and trim paint, it is a nice touch. If are going craftsman, replace the columns with something with hutzpah. If you follow craftsman, use some some stone halfway up and then repeat the stone with an archway and larger window to the right. Use some stone on the walkway. Extend that hutzpah when you add the porch across the patio. I think all the windows should be changed and the shutters painted a bold color that blends, not matches the door. Is there some paint trick one can use to make the windows look different? If not replace the windows, add an arch if you can. Definitely a window box on at least one of the windows. If you put a porch up, try the window box somewhere else. Too bad you can't replace a window with a French door. House is lovely.

• Leslie Fitzgerald
    hace 3 años

What a lovely setting. What I see is "imbalance." The right side (which I assume is the garage) is so large and diminishes the left side, or front door where you want the focus to be. I would plant a large tree to the left of the driveway with some landscaping there and something similar to the right, which would add weight to the left and soften the right. If the right is the garage as I assume, it somewhat offends me to put $$$ there, such as putting in larger windows that will add more weight and serve no purpose. soften with landscaping and put your effort into adding interest to the living area side if the house.

• User
    hace 3 años

If that was my house I'm pretty sure I'd paint it mid-morning sunshine yellow with white trim and then landscape the front with many different varieties of blue-hue flowers (keep the door color) spilling the plantings quite far into the lawn and down the side of the driveway. Normally I like window boxes but maybe not here.

You need a visible charming path to the front door. Visually I'd pull everything away from crowding the house, drawing the eye to the sweep of the slope, emphasizing the size of the property. It's a pretty cottage on a hill you have!

• threers
    hace 3 años

I suggest you install landscaping first. My first impression is your house is lacking in trees and shrubs. You can balance your house with landscaping and the landscaping can grow and mature while you are deciding whatever changes you make to the house itself.

• User
    hace 3 años

I agree with threers. Your house is very nicely situated and I would start by emphasizing that, then see what house changes fit with the landscape. You don't want to end up with a gussied up box on a forlornly patchy lawn.

• felizlady
    hace 3 años

Wood shingles in the gables. Match the shutters to the wood shingles color. Your plants will grow and start to fill in next year. In that gorgeous setting, I would want some color out front, too....not a full-size maple or oak, but maybe a semi-dwarf tree which will have fall color or a Japanese maple which will have color and a delicate form. If azaleas or rhododendron do well in your zone, they will add some color along the foundation.

• jill7256
    hace 3 años

JCK910 suggestions are brilliant. Paint and trellises are not such a big deal and can make such a difference! If you followed those suggestions, the house would immediately look more charming, and you could take your time deciding what else was needed, if anything. Or you could put more money into landscaping. If you don't like the idea of black (I love it), you could choose another weighty color, navy maybe, or bottle green.

• PRO
    lisedv
    hace 3 años

-Leave siding white as is

-Widen porch

-Modify 2 gables to 1 same width as porch

-Install cedar shingles on 2 gables

-Install cedar posts for porch

-Replace corner planks with cedar planks

-Replace or paint windows black

-Install cedar shutters

-Add 2 natural trellis on front right section

-Improve landscaping

• doris_pyland
    hace 3 años

Save your money on the contractor and hire a landscape designer instead. Darling house it just needs some visual interest in the front yard.

• PRO
    BREWSTER Design / Build LLC
    hace 3 años

The outside appearance of a house is subject to infinite variation. Without knowing you, I cannot presume to tell you what it should look like. What I can do is suggest some dollar savers to help you with your own planning.

I believe that if the inside of a house fits the needs of a family, if the skin surrounding the inside is honestly and economically built, and if the business of building the house seems not to have disturbed its setting, the result can hardly escape the passerby's approval.

The passerby is important because he sees the outside of your house more often than you do. You don't really care what the outside of your house looks like. By the time you have come home three times, you hardly see it anymore; but you do care what the passerby thinks, and you want to please him.

The passerby enjoys a glimpse of a big house that looks usable. He dislikes the sight of a big house fronted with useless ornamentation. He also dislikes a little house that has spawned some useless boards in an attempt to look big.

The passerby dislikes gateposts without gates. Fences that go nowhere and keep nothing in or out. Grape arbors without grapes. Terrace coverings that obviously don't keep out the rain. Shutters that obviously cannot be closed to cover the windows along which they hang. Stone pillars that hold up nothing, and balconies with no visible supports. Doors with no footway leading to them, and tiny patches of lawn on which no one has ever trod.

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks all for your suggestions. We won’t be getting more windows- it’d be visually nice but it’s just the garage and I’d rather put the money elsewhere. The entire backside of our house is window, so we get plenty of light from those. I’d rather not paint siding or window trim as, in my mind, those could potentially devalue the house if not done well. The landscaping is a definite must and I appreciate all the ideas there! Cedar trim and stone work are definitely happening this summer too, thanks to your suggestions! And I love all the renderings with black doors- definitely my favorite as I’m allergic to color 😆

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Also, I’m needing suggestions as to tall plants that do well in narrow spaces. We have a front walkway but only about one foot worth of space between the path and the side of the garage (of course, the area that needs most landscaping) Am I stuck with trellises? Not that I’m against that- I love them, just wondering if I have other options

• Sandra Simpson
    hace 3 años

Putting wood shingles on the gables and matching shutters brings attention to the fact the pitch is too severe. The point is to make things look bigger. things look bigger when they blend.

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

The pitch of the roof is too severe? It’s a very low pitch

• Deanna Betts
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

If we put any wood in the gables it will most likely be a decorative truss or corbel. Similar to the ones in Celery’s rendering earlier in the thread.

• User
    hace 3 años

Impossible to make plant suggestions without knowing the climate where you live. Also, do you use the seating area in front of the house and if so, does it get so much sun that you want shade there?

Overall, however, given how much space you have I would highly recommend that you hire a pro to design a landscape for you that works on every level you want it work (shade, maintenance, color, walkways, etc). A pro will know what thrives in your area and what drainage issues you'll need to consider on that slope.

• Freya Henry
    hace 3 años

Firstly I can recommend you to Roof Color is Blue its look so nice your home...And you window is small you can increase size of your Window.

• User
    hace 3 años

Believe me, I know this is not your house style, but if you can block out the house in this photo, this is the very roughly kind of landscape look I personally would go for, with a more subtle walkway

Westchester Whimsy · Más información

• PRO
    Altair
    hace 3 años

I've always love blue with these homes..

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.