Houzz Logo Print
john_doe5780

Old 2001 B&S#350447 1282E1 stalls under throttle

john doe
hace 3 años

Evening all, not a tractor, but a Briggs 2 cylinder in an old Argo Bigfoot. Similar issue to what others have posted, engine idles fine (now), but when I hit the throttle it starts to surge, stall and backfire. Hotter the engine is the faster it happens.
Originally the engine idled rough too. Changed the gas, changed the air filter, opened the carb cleaned it (and jets), replaced the body gasket (was flaking when I opened the carb), air filter gasket, float needle, air filter. Have run some sea foam through it (pre-gas change). Tried with the gas cap on, loose and off.
See fuel in the clear bulb filter, and although I don't see one listed in the parts manual it's using a vacuum fuel pump.
Haven't checked anything else yet and hoping there's still experts on here that can give me suggestions for next steps. Knew NOTHING about small engines when I started this project so sure I've made mistakes and missed things.
Thanks!

Comentarios (6)

• tomplum
    hace 3 años

So I assume that it has been stored for a spell, hence the flaking in the carb? My chipper engine does that too. I'd pull the carb top off and check it out again being extra thorough. Change that fuel filter too. These twins will tend to pop back should they be running lean. A little Seafoam or Marvel down through the throat of the carb while it is running could loosen any valve stem gunk from sitting.

• john doe
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks! And ya, got it used, and while took a drive in it before I bought it and it seemed ok (just rough) I have a hunch the guy hadn't put stabilizer in it. And then it sat for a while before I used it.

So did the filter, and did the pump at the same time. Found the pump mount was out of alignment slightly so the vacuum hose was pinched so fixed that and replaced it too. Left the air filter off to give it a go... And voila! Started perfectly, idles beautifully, gave it some throttle and except for a pop at first, sounded fine.

You know there's a "but" coming...

Let it idle for a few minutes, started to idle slower then stalled out with gas coming out of the top of the carb. *Sigh*

Next? Thinking maybe plugs? Something gummed up further in the carb? Float screwed?

• tomplum
    hace 3 años

Gas coming out of the carb top = the carb has to be revisited and the engine deflooded. Does yours have a vent hose for the carb?

• john doe
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Have to go back out to the garage and look, but believe it has at least an overflow and PROBABLY a vent nossel. Did some more digging on ppl with the same problem and sounds like it's probably the float or the needle not seating properly so the gas doesn't actually stop. I'll pop it open tomorrow and have a closer look and blow out the bowl.

• john doe
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Well, having siphoned out the bowl, looks like I hadn't seated the float pin in the seal properly... But, filter and pump weren't the issue. Changed out the oil first and gave it a go, same symptoms, but, since I wanted to give the oil another change (first was to make sure if it was contaminated it was out of the engine), let it run for a bit to warm up. After it stalled out, checked the tem, front cylinder was warm, back, stone cold. So, plugs tomorrow *sigh*

• PRO
    Kevins Small Engine and Tractor Service
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Have you applied some choke while running to see if it smooths out? check the throttle shaft to see if it is loose where it passes through the body, if it is sloppy, it will leak air into the carb throat causing a vacuum loss at the venturi. Check for a spark and compression in the cylinder that is cold. Let us know what you find out after those checks.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.