Houzz Logo Print
rorycn

Can short stair treads be fixed?

Rory (Zone 6b)
hace 3 años

We have a raised ranch and the stairs that go to the lower level have short (9") treads.

This is what they look like without the carpet.

I would like to make them safer and easier to go up and down by having longer treads. Is that possible or would the stairs need to be reconfigured?

The house was built in 1971 and I assume it was up to code then but not anymore.

Here are a few pictures to get a feel for the situation.

Same view with carpet.

Looking down from landing.

Looking down from 1st floor entry

Looking over railing in entry

Entry way view

Assuming I can do something to to fix this who would be the correct person for the job, a carpenter?

Comentarios (5)

• gustaviatex
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

First you need to check your local building codes. Any alterations will have to meet the existing codes; what you have is grandfathered in UNLESS you change. It is some pretty complex geometry.

https://buildingcodetrainer.com/residential-stair-code/

Rory (Zone 6b) agradeció a gustaviatex
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

If you want more depth to your treads, you need more run. It appears you have about 18" more run before you'd have to move your doorway. You'll want an experienced stair builder. I doubt he can rebuild these stairs cost effectively.

Rory (Zone 6b) agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • acm
    hace 3 años

agree. sometimes short stairs are used deliberately to fit a staircase into a shorter distance, and you might end up crowding the door at the bottom of the stairs. you will also probably be shocked to find out what staircase surgery costs. but have somebody look at it for you!

Rory (Zone 6b) agradeció a acm
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

you need a professional stair guy. (not a gc) there are very strict codes for 'rise/run' of the actual treads and very little room for errors.

I learned this the hard way 10 years ago. call in a pro and have it done correctly and to code. If not, it could come back to bite you in the rear when it's time to sell.

Rory (Zone 6b) agradeció a Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Dishington Construction - Jensen Hus
    hace 3 años

The solution to a longer tread run will be to change the landing to a winder step. basically cutting that step in half diagonally. That additional riser will make all the difference. Yes, it will require a good carpenter and the stairs will need to be completely rebuilt. 1 day demo, 1 - 2 days frame, 4-5 days for finish. Plus plaster and paint. Depending on where u are in the country and finishes this is a $4k-$12k+ project, but would also give you an opportunity to upgrade that old style railing.

Rory (Zone 6b) agradeció a Dishington Construction - Jensen Hus
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.