Houzz Logo Print
webuser_269786105

2009 Craftsman GT5000 Kohler- Is this a symptom of a head gasket leak?

gfranky
hace 3 años

I have a 2009 Craftsman GT5000 that I bought new. It has a 26hp Kohler Courage motor. It only has 176 hours on it and has been taken care of very well. I have a hissing sound when you turn the engine (sounding like it is expelling air). If you turn the top of the flywheel by hand you can hear it. It appears to be louder on the right hand side of the engine around the dip stick area but kind of hard to tell. Could this be a head gasket leak? Is there another way to tell? I have plenty of power no other issues it runs flawlessly, just this hissing (air break type of sound) when it shuts off or you turn it by hand. Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any assistance and thanks! If it is a head gasket does anyone have any idea how this could have happened with so little hours?
Thank you everyone - Glenn

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    Kevins Small Engine and Tractor Service
    hace 3 años

First, check that your spark plug is tight. Next, remove both spark plugs and compare the shade of the spark plugs. Are they both about the same shade? Is the one on the noise side a much lighter shade? Now let's find precisely where the noise is originating. To do so, remove the top cover from the engine so you can get your ear close to the engine block. Now, either place the parking brake on and "bump" the starter, or if you can turn it by hand, do so until you narrow it down to the precise location of the sound. If it is from the seam where the head meets the block, then it is the head gasket (easy fix). If not, pull your valve cover off and adjust the valves. In summary, you must find the location of the noise to diagnose the problem. Either the head gasket is leaking, or the valves are out of adjustment are the most likely causes. It is also possible that the exhaust header is loose where it bolts to the head. Please get back to me after finding where the air is coming from and move forward from there. Thanks.

Kevin,

Kevins Small Engine, 03908

• gfranky
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Kevin - Thank you very much for your reply. I will be looking into this one of these upcoming weekends. I will post my findings. I truly appreciate your assistance and knowledge with this!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.