Houzz Logo Print
dramaqueenuk

The big debate on kitchen units .... gloss or matt finish??

dramaqueenuk
hace 3 años

I thought I had the answer to that from the start - Matt is surely easier to keep clean, yeah? But I had a kitchen designer round a couple of days ago who said in her opinion the high gloss units are much easier to clean - a simple damp cloth followed by a microfibre to buff. I'm not convinced though. They may be easier to clean, but surely the matt won't show up the fingerprints as much, therefore not as much cleaning needed in the first place? I'd love opinions from those with experience of gloss units. Please enlighten!!

Comentarios (7)

• Jonathan
    hace 3 años

It depends what the door is made from. Matt laminates are not as easy to clean as Matt lacquer. Some Matt lacquers have anti fingerprint technology.

Separately I think Matt looks more contemporary

• Sonia
    hace 3 años

I have glossy units which do show finger prints but are dead easy to clean. As you say quick wipe with a damp cloth and buff it. There is a very long post on Houzz regarding the difficulty of cleaning matt doors if you have a search.

• Sara Keatley
    hace 3 años

Thanks Sonia, I'll look it up

• Daisy England
    hace 3 años

I have both.

In my main home I have super matt. Granted you can’t see the fingerprints but they are there. However when the light shines at a specific angle you can see the marks and they are a sod to get off. I use a magic eraser and it works ok but they’re not really suitable for big areas so I resort to a Spontex cloth soaked in soapy warm water, wipe over and buff up with a microfibre cloth. Sometimes though you can still see marks.

In my caravan I have gloss doors. Easy to clean. Easier than super matt. Both doors I have are handleless so I try to not push the actual door but use the ledge provided.

If you’re just looking for a slab door which can be reproduced by companies who have the appropriate machinery there is now a board available that has fingerprint technology. It’s called Serica. It relatively new and has 12 colours to choose from.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    hace 3 años

Really dark colours can show up fingerprints more than lighter colours and as Jonathan mentions there's various supermatt lacquers and laminates that are resistant to fingerprints. Fenix for example is a matt surface that features anti fingerprint technology amongst its many features.

• Sara Keatley
    hace 3 años

Thanks

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    hace 3 años

This is a photo of our Fenix Black Slate Cabinetry on display in our showroom, it has been very easy to keep clean and has a really nice smooth matt finish.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.