Houzz Logo Print
lcole11142

Help! Bathroom remodel turned out terrible!

L C
hace 3 años

What can I do to fix this? I’m going to leave the tile and floor. So, what should I do with the cabinet, countertop (yes I will change the counter if I have to)

and wall color? I already feel like this bathroom is too white but dare I paint everything all white??

Cabinet is BM Stonington Gray and it’s way too light.

Countertop is Brava Marfil and it’s too yellow. (I wanted Minuet but could not find a remnant). Wall color is BM Horizon and I don’t like it.

What are some options I have besides making it white? I put those accessories there to try to add some wood elements.

Comentarios (30)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    hace 3 años

I'd share in your angst, but I don't see the problem. It looks nice to me, and the work well done. On my monitor at least, your elements play quite well together. The wood is a nice touch for contrast.

It's quite a nice neutral room - I'm not sure what your goal was. If it were mine, I might put brighter towels on the bar. Your vanity lights seem to glow a little yellow, had you thought about cooler or daylight bulbs?

• L C
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you. It makes me feel better that you both think it looks nice. Thanks for the suggestion about the bulbs.

It’s the cabinet and countertop..it’s throwing everything off for me.

• ltdfun
    hace 3 años

I might change the cabinet pulls, but overall I think your bathroom looks really nice. I agree that changing the bulbs can make a big difference.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    hace 3 años

I don't think I'd rush to change anything just yet. Try the bulbs, live with it a bit.

I think your cabinets and the top work well with the white. Take a look at your colors in a bedroom. Very relaxed and inviting. The difference there other than the natural light is the flooring, where yours is dark. See 'Luxurious White and Gray bedroom'

White, cream, stonington gray but with what I'd describe as off white carpeting. Works in the bedroom, but I like your darker tiled bathroom floor with your choices very much.

• Gayle Templeton
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Perhaps a light color on the vanity, such as a blue or blue-gray tone. Hard to tell color from picture. Then hang 2-3 neat hand towels on that towel bar

• Valinta
    hace 3 años

So, you have all neutrals in this space and these are very neutral. Add bright towels as mentioned before. Select cointer accessories with same colors in ceramic or glass, even painted wood if you are concerned about breakage. To select thses colors first find some artwork for the wall, with color, then use that template to find towels. The only thing I would not be happy with is the additional counter backsplash against the existing tile. Can that be removed?

• K R
    hace 3 años

I don’t understand the backsplash on the tile either, it doesn’t need it. Is the tile behind it? Maybe have them remove it, other than that the remodel looks fine, just a bit too stark, perhaps a darker color on the walls.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 3 años

Though it's all way too grey for me, overall it's well-executed, tile appears to be nicely installed. I like the floor.

The short 4" counter backsplash could have been nixed. I do agree the white tile and cream countertop may be too much contrast, especially with the 4" counter material.

I'd start with new bulbs as mentioned because in one photograph they do appear yellow.

The vanity handles I may consider changing but I suspect a different paint color on the wall is what is needed. It would be the easiest change and likely have the greatest effect.

• felizlady
    hace 3 años

The tile and the counter do not appear to work together. White, cream and gray are what I see in your first photo. The short cream backsplash against the white tile is wrong. I would order a new solid white counter which matches the white tile color, with no short backsplash. Install the counter against the white tile and use grout which matches the existing grout. Add color in towels and washable bathroom rugs: buy two sets in different colors to alternate as desired. Add a piece of glass-protected art which includes both colors.

• jgreenwald
    hace 3 años

It all works well together. You have created a neutral palate, but have not completed the outfit yet. Once you add some accessories; splash of color with towels/rug and pic, or a prominent other feature, like abstract print, textured towels, a cute succulent plant on the counter or toilet or larger hanging plant in front of the window, somewhere else for your eye to rest, you will not notice the other things. It is a great and simple backdrop that will allow you to easily change up now and then with simple accessory changes. You could also put a colorful print or textured roman shade on the window for some dimension. Yup looks good, just add your jewelry. I do like your wood/organic touches too. A bamboo roll up shade might look good with that scheme. Add a woodsy picture and plant - you're done!

You just need some spark. Dimension, color (even neutral color), and texture will give it that ( :

• Cheryl Smith
    hace 3 años

add color with towels and accessaries

• lovepatterns
    hace 3 años

Overall, I really like the colors. I think what throws it off is the backsplash piece. If you remove that and replace with more of the white tiles, it will look tons better.

• Jeanne Q
    hace 3 años

Honestly, the bathroom is pretty close to good. But I agree with felizlady...there is something a little off with the current countertop setup (the mix of warm/cool neutrals and the multiple backsplash layers) so swapping it out (white to match tile and no backsplash) would fix both issues.

Also consider changing the paint color -- an easy but dramatic fix. You can literally go any color because you already have a nice neutral base...go bold with a rich jewel tone or dark grey blue or any light pale color depending on your taste. Go to home depot/paint store and grab a few of their paint color pamphlets (they usually have different ones for whites, neutrals, color, etc). They give a nice snapshot of some of the tried and true popular colors.

And just like what everyone else is suggesting, keep playing with accessories...you have a good start with the wood accents!

Good luck! We're in the middle of a home reno so feel your pain

• Maureen
    hace 3 años

Updates are very nice, but the overall look doesn't feel especially impactful - just needs needs accessorizing and a few changes and it will be even nicer.

I would remove the awkward towel rack, repair wall and add something like this

Use more updated hardware and definitely a new mirror

A cute Roman blind and complimentary shower curtain

• njmomma
    hace 3 años

Lovely bathroom. Just a few tweaks and it's perfect.

@Maureen I just love how you put things together. Your mood boards are great!

• L C
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Can I ask everyone for paint color suggestions for the cabinet? Stonington grey is way too light. Thanks everyone!

• mark1993
    hace 3 años

I really like the light cabinet color.

• Cheryl Smith
    hace 3 años

I think I would go darker... something close to the color of your mirror frame

• plf12652
    hace 3 años

Maureen nailed it! Notice the Darker cabinet hardware to echo the floor, also mirror trimmed darker. Love the towels, shower curtain and rug to bring in that darker contrast. But the countertop “backsplash” looks strange, so if possible remove and tile? I would also say to live with it awhile....sometimes your first reaction tempers with time. Mine has!

• happyleg
    hace 3 años

Love the bathroom & do the towels/rug/shade. Yes get a LED reveal daylight bulb or cool.

• PRO
    ABtelier Design
    hace 3 años

The light over the mirror is too big and has an old look.
    Also, you have to purchase deco and accessories that will reflect light (stainless) OR add an accent color with deco and accessories such has rose gold for example. It would give a look to your bathroom and add something special. If ever you need, I do phone consultation

• Melissa R
    hace 3 años

if you go with a darker cabinet I think you are going to have problems with the dark'ish floor. I'd keep as is. I think everything looks good.

If you hate it try change out the pulls to a black and a black framed mirror

This pic I turned everything black; pulls, light, towel bar, tp holder, door etc

This one I changed just your mirror. I think your current colored mirror is the biggest culprit causing you to dislike what you have

• RedRyder
    hace 3 años

Melissa’s fix is an easy one. I do agree with felizlady- the countertop with a backsplash is what’s “off”. But that is a more expensive fix than painting the vanity or just trying black accents like above. What kind of shower curtain are you getting? That will change the space dramatically. Start with the bulbs, then consider each suggestion. I would try the black accents first if you like them. And either paint or replace the mirror with black. THEN consider color to brighten it up.

• Sue54321 ABC
    hace 3 años

If you want some color, a nice hanging plant in the corner near the toilet would go a long way.

• Kadee GMQ
    hace 3 años

Brava Marfil by Hanstone is nice but it is a pinch warm toned for a white countertop. I know its bothering you because it is against a brighter white tile. You have all cool tones (white tile, gray cabinet, darker gray floor) and then a warm toned top. The gray cabinet is nice. I like it light. I think the countertop is your issue. It is harder to see in photos, but it is more yellow-ish (I've worked with the color a lot). If you did change anything, I would just change the top.

• Kadee GMQ
    hace 3 años

Also, if you are considering eliminating the quartz backsplash, please be sure that you will be ok with small gaps that will need to be filled when a new top is installed against tile and grout as it is not a perfectly straight background.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    hace 3 años

Wallpaper

• beren
    hace 3 años

Your bathroom is certainly nicer than mine. It’s not bad at all. I actually like it.

• Karen Cheung
    hace 3 años

Hi LC,

Overall, your bathroom renovation looks fine but I do see areas where you could improve. I'm guessing here but I think what is bothering you is the L shaped countertop and the rounded corners.
    Changing cabinets and counter might wind up being a bigger job than you want but if you wind up doing that, I would suggest the following to give it a more modern look:

• soft eased edges on the countertop as opposed to current round edge
    • shaker or plain cabinet fronts as opposed to raised panel
      As for keeping what you have already and improving it, I believe you just need the focus to shift from the countertop and cabinets to something else. My first thought is to simplify the number of elements above your counter. The current is a medicine cabinet, towel rack and empty space. You may want to consider making this wall your focus (feature wall) by either of these methods:
    • painting a different color
    • mounting a larger mirror and a painting over water closet like shown in this link.
      https://www.houzz.com/photos/marble-and-gray-bathroom-transitional-bathroom-seattle-phvw-vp~104059666
    • mounting a larger medicine cabinet or combination cabinets, move towel hanging as rails or row of hooks to the door. Sketches below:

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.