Houzz Logo Print
webuser_820866087

living room needs some attention

Hiral Akwalia
hace 3 años

I don’t love how my living room is laid out and need something for the large wall. Help!

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 3 años

hello

My first thought, this is a case of too much furniture and not enough storage. so first we need to find out if you can eliminate either one sofa or the two chairs, it's just too much.

my plan would be to eliminate one sofa, turn the sofa to face the tv, and flank the fireplace with two chairs.

In and "we redo everything world" (I'm sure you will catch flack) I would move the tv to the wall across from the windows and flank either side of the sofa with the two chairs

If you plan to keep everything in the room, I would slide the sofa's down toward the pony wall and put the two chairs on either side of the fireplace

But before we suggest too much are you willing to part with any of the furnishings in the room.?

I would be looking at some benches with storage or two small consoles

• Little Bug
    hace 3 años

Agree. Too much stuff. Yes, I know how it is with kids and you have too much kid stuff here, but the biggest problem is too much furniture.

• Hiral Akwalia
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

All the tv connects are above the fireplace so can’t move to a diff wall. I want to keep the couches and chairs bc we have enough use for them. All the toys will eventually leave this room. Since there’s no daycare, baby’s taken over this room along with his play room. The wingback chairs recliner so it was tough putting them anywhere else and still have enough space to recline. In hindsight we should have bought a sectional

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    hace 3 años

I was thinking of arranging recliners similar as you, and for the same reason -- lack of space to recline otherwise. DH wants a recliner for watching tv, and we don't have space for a couch! Plus we'd get a table between them, like you. So I totally understand not moving those.

My suggestion for your space if all the furniture has to stay: try to find a way to be okay with the crowding.

If furniture can move: remove the sofa from under the window and shift all the kiddos toys to that side. Move the ottoman back to the remaining sofa. Install low bookcases under each window that flank the fireplace. The room will kind of have an adult side/convo space and a kid side; place the kids chair on the kid side.

Is your large wall the one above the non-window couch? Could be a nice place to group a photo collection or some art. Do you have anything in your house that you want to hang on the wall?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 3 años

ok how about the rug? can it be changed? Otherwise, I would change the curtains to something solid instead of shear and maybe add seagrass roller blinds. then one large piece of art over the sofa. There is really no other way to address the furniture itself.

• housegal200
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

If the big pieces can't go--and at least one sofa should go--then at least clear up the small stuff (I don't mean toys because I get your that little one needs to play). But look at all the small chairs, throws, pillows, boxes, sides tables storage, etc. you have taking up real and visual space. Seriious decluttering before redecorating should be your guide going forward.

--Relocate the child's little blue chair. Kiddies can sit on rug and probably already do.

--Replace cabinet between recliners and other side tables with nesting tables on legs for airiness that you can pull out as needed when you're sitting in the recliners or on sofas. Round ones would be best, possibly acrylic so as not to take up visual space. There should be three small tables in any case.

--After you've done a ruthless declutters of blankets, extra pillows, and all the stuff lying around, get a large art work for over the sofa or a large mirror if it will reflect a nice view from your window. This palette in a subject and style you like and large:

Blue Polystone Coastal Beach Framed Wall Art 40" x 2" x 40" · Más información

--Get Roman shades for your windows in a great blue/tan abstract pattern. Your curtains are too flimsy for the windows with the big, black TV set taking up so much visual space. Can you put a big pile of white birch logs in the fireplace. You're staring at two gigantic black spaces. Get bigger white candles if you can put logs in the firebox.

--Replace all your floppy sofa pillows with just two large firm pillows per sofa--again too much visual clutter. Since you want your room to be child and family friendly, forget about doing the multi-sofa pillow thing you see in stylish living rooms that don't have so many activities going on.

Ikat Decorative Pillow, Shades of Blue/Ivory, With Insert · Más información

• Hiral Akwalia
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks for all the advice! I hope to rearrange and definitely declutter. It’s usually a lot neater, but with COVID-19 and quarantining with a baby that is all over the house makes it look like a hot mess. He typically goes to daycare 5 days so on wknds and evenings he’s only in the kitchen his room or the playroom. I’m def post pics of my progress! Currently hoping to just make do with existing furniture. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

• PRO
    M&D Photography
    hace 3 años

We offer a wide range of award winning wall art and photography you may like at http://mndphoto.com

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 3 años

Just remove every "small item in the room and those boxes from the hall and that sofa table. It wil make you feel better foremost but also let us "see" the space. don't worry we all have daily life messes lol.

• housegal200
    hace 3 años

Since you are unable to remove the big pieces, take away all the small pieces of furniture. Everyone on Houzz totally understands children need their toys during family and TV time in the living room. The visual clutter isn't toys; it's small pieces here there and everywhere. As I mentioned before, get one set of nesting tables and relocate or pitch the rest. As an experiment, do it now and see how the room looks. It currently lacks flow and airiness, which is why you think you have a problem with layout.

• tfitz1006
    hace 3 años

When I moved a few years ago I did a RUTHLESS declutter of my kitchen and it was great. There was so much I could move on. So if you have some time, just set a timer and say you'll do an hour, or if someone can take the baby out for an afternoon, get a friend and move everything out onto the kitchen counters and see what you can move along, donate. Also removing all little things in the kitchen like stickers etc can really make a huge difference.

• Ellen S
    hace 3 años

I can’t tell if this will work with the proportions of the room, but here’s what you could try:

1. remove all the kid stuff, just for pirposes of really seeing the space, even if just for half an hour.

2. Pull both couches closer together on the rug, or move the sofa on the wall with windows closer to the other one (so there’s a walkway to the other side of the room), to create a better conversation area.

3. Place a coffee table or other piece with storage between the sofas.

4. Angle the chair toward each other a bit and have them “join” the conversation area by being a bit closer to the sofas.

5. Go to greatbigcanvas.com or icanvas.com or some other place and get a giant (I mean, massive) piece of statement artto go on the large empty wall.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    hace 3 años

Hello Hiral, Oh how wonderful. I see a parent and baby spending time together and the room filled with life. I see fond memories and time well spent with your baby boy. So wonderful!!! You will love these memories for years to come. I sure do 40 years later.

Hiral, originally you asked for help with something to put over the couch against the wall. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. One large mirror to reflect the light from the window and add light to the room.
    2. A 3 piece wall art over the couch for example:

And how about a nice large ottoman with storage in it? Like this:

We have one for pillows, blankets and toys for the grandchildren. We love it.

Best wishes,

Marcie from MAE Day

• housegal200
    hace 3 años

Not sure about a big blocky ottoman with so many bulky pieces already--two huge sofas that take up so much of the space. There's no room for something so large, plus it will cover the rug. Again, nesting pull out tables on legs would be airier.

• PRO
    hace 3 años

Best wishes to you Hiral. Hope everything works out for you. Marcie

• PRO
    hace 3 años

BTW you can find local organizers and designers (HOUZZ designers ) who will come in and give you a free consult. You will probably get more help that way especially since they can come into the house and see better what it is that you really need and what will help you the most. Nothing beats eyes on.

Again, Best wishes,

Marcie

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.