Houzz Logo Print
dina_berkov

Blind corner advice

DeeDee
hace 3 años

Hello! I’m currently in the middle of a kitchen renovation and have a blind corner in the island of my peninsula kitchen. Originally I had wanted to flip a cabinet so that it is accessible from the seating area however my husband really wants to try to fit a wine fridge in that space. Technically it will fit, but it means a counter stool will be in front of it and will have to be moved out of the way for usability. Is this type of thing acceptable? I don’t want it to look like an afterthought (even though clearly it is). Here’s an image of the layout and cabinets that we’re delivered today

Comentarios (12)

• DeeDee
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Here’s the images

• DeeDee
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I found this image on Houzz, it would end up being similar to this:

• emilyam819
    hace 3 años

I would not do a wine fridge under an overhang.

• julieboulangerie
    hace 3 años

I have a cabinet that’s only accessible from the backside of the peninsula. It’s for lesser used items. I don’t think I would love the idea of feet being able to kick the wine cooler.

• DeeDee
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you for the feedback. I also hate the thought of kicking the cooler while sitting in that counter chair. If I got with the backside cabinet, my contractor suggested that it include a charging drawer for devices. However would that be awkward because of the overhang?

• emilyam819
    hace 3 años

Remind him that the overhang would block the open charging drawer.

• chispa
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

If you used a wine/beverage fridge that will be paneled to match the cabinets it might not look as strange. It would be storage for wine and extra drinks, but not something you would be accessing daily. How often would you be accessing that wine fridge?

If this is the only thing your husband has wanted in the remodel I would let him have it, but ask for a paneled fridge. It will be more expensive, but will blend in.

• chispa
    hace 3 años

Oh by the way, these undercounter fridges can be a bit noisy, so you might get extra appliance hum radiating into your living area. Is anyone sensitive to noise?

• User
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I also would not be a fan of feet touching the fridge door.

what about cabinet doors that are more subtle or even designed to be somewhat hidden?

if you did this across the whole island, then you could access some of the other cabs from behind.

• PRO
    TJP Designs and Construction LLC
    hace 3 años

Would it be worth considering curving the blank space and extend the top for seating, similar to this:

• DeeDee
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

TPJ Designs, thank you for the suggestion. Actually we were also presented with this similar option as well. I didn’t love the idea of an angled island like this however. Are curved islands like this being done? Haven’t seen too many contemporary examples of this.

• DeeDee
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Chispa, we would use it often as we do drink wine almost daily. I never had an issue with just storing it in cabinets though 🤷‍♀️. Good idea about a panel, I’ll look into that.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.