Houzz Logo Print
mmjohnson586

Wall decor for large dining room wall- what should go here?

M J
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

I’m looking to find something for our dining room wall. Would a large mirror look right here? if so, is the mirror I posted the correct size (hung horizontal)? The wall is 13 1/2’ and the table is 6”.

I included pictures of the entry and living to give you a feel of the space.

Thank you! I have no idea what I’m doing!

Comentarios (15)

• M J
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you, threers! How big do you recommend? And I’m assuming it should match the painting I have in the entry nook? would I just pull certain colors from this painting?

• threers
    hace 3 años

Hi! I am still here while my household chores are undone. But I would think the art should not be wider than your table is wide. But maybe professional decorators can give your a more precise answer on sizing. But I would look for artwork that you love; any color you love. Paintings do not need to share colors; the only requirement is that when you look at it, it makes you happy!

• pricklypearcactus
    hace 3 años

As already stated, art (either a single large piece or multiple medium sized pieces) would be far preferable to a mirror. If you put a mirror there, your poor guests will have to watch themselves eat which is never pleasant.

The art piece you have in the entry is really lovely. You could certainly look for a piece that coordinates with it, but you don't have to. Art is personal so you could really put anything you like there. But I can see that your room seems to be a mixture of mostly medium neutrals (gray, beige) and some rich dark wood. So I would probably continue that pattern and look for a relatively soft toned piece of art rather than something with really bright bold colors.

• M J
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks, pricklypearcactus! Good point- no one wants to see themselves eating. I appreciate your help! I love the look of that bottom painting.

• Lala
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Your decor is pretty neutral, but I do see some blue (pillows) and green (plants) and would move in that direction. The second painting above is nice and art would be so much more interesting than a mirror.

• IdaClaire
    hace 3 años

No one looks at themselves in a mirror while eating, so if that's what you would like to hang there, by all means DO. A mirror is a classic dining room element that expands the space, reflects chandelier light and candle glow, as well as the people gathered around the table together. It's a lovely addition.

Should you choose artwork instead, don't feel you must match your choice to artwork in another room. Art is much more interesting when you collect pieces that speak to you in some way; that have special meaning to you and say something about who you are as a person. Anything else and you might as well be in a dentist's waiting room. It's your home ... let it reflect who you are.

• M J
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Pricklypearcactus, where did you find the second piece of art you shared?

• pricklypearcactus
    hace 3 años

I found both pieces on art.com. I looked under neutral and gray color schemes. Disclaimer: I haven't ever purchased from art.com so I can't vouch for their products.

• M J
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

One more question- how large should the art be?

• Theresa Janssen
    hace 3 años

you may also consider making that wall a gallery art wall vs just putting one piece of.large art on it... art you choose can be all black and white if you don't want color. you could start with say just 5 or 7 pieces in a grouping and then add to it over time. if you do black and white pictures, you can change up all the frames for some contrast or have all black frames for consistency. just depends on the style you want because that wall is large, a gallery wall can add a bunch of fun and interest.

Black And White Interior Design · Más información

Orange home · Más información

Mary Prince Photography © 2012 Houzz · Más información

• Lala
    hace 3 años

Can your fixture be lowered? Just something you might want to consider.

• PRO
    M&D Photography
    hace 3 años

We offer a wide range of award winning wall art and photography you may like at http://mndphoto.com

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 3 años

Keep art within 75% of the table's length unless you add a buffet or floating shelf under it. Then is can be up to 75% of the shelf/buffet's length.

• M J
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you everyone! I love the idea of a gallery wall to add some personality.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.