Houzz Logo Print
christine_carlton26

Need help with this so called fireplace please.

Christine Carlton
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

Hello! I am in the process of buying this house. This is the 'fireplace' in the master bedroom (and yes, the TV mount may be going away!). It looks like a complete afterthought. Any ideas as to how to make it blend more? Should I carry the tile all the way up? I would also maybe like a mantel? It could only be a few inches deep as anything larger would impede the walking area. Please help. Thank you!

Comentarios (29)

• tozmo1
    hace 3 años

Can you remove the plantation shutter on the slider? Once you have that down, you can better assess what is needed.

Christine Carlton agradeció a tozmo1
  • Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

So unfortunately the plantation shutters cover the sliding glass door and I need some type of window covering so that I can sleep. :-)

Being that the space is so limited, I don't even think I can do any type of drapery.

• jbtanyderi
    hace 3 años

I’d be interested in knowing how permission was given to have a fireplace so close to two door. The door practically opens into the fireplace. An inspection would be in order.

Christine Carlton agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Right?! Believe it or not, it passed inspection for me AND in 2017! Crazy. Part of me wants to just board it up, but truth be told, I love a fireplace.

• freedomplace1
    hace 3 años

They probably had some sort of shelving system / something creative maybe. That might be why tv mount is in that spot:

Christine Carlton agradeció a freedomplace1
  • tozmo1
    hace 3 años

You don't have to do drapes, lots of options for different kinds of blinds/shades.

• Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you freedomplace1! That is an interesting idea to make it flow into the room!

• Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I've thought about other types of blinds/shades and my friends try and talk me out of it (because of the classic, rich look of shutters). I love shutters as well, but I also want to have something functional.

• freedomplace1
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

But then again with door there, not much space to allow for shelf depth:

I would keep it simple and hang some art over fireplace.

Any shelf would have to be very thin,

Christine Carlton agradeció a freedomplace1
  • tozmo1
    hace 3 años

Not being in the space it's hard to tell, but having a shutter that larger jut into the room seems very distracting. If the shutters are always closed, that might work. Don't know how

you can do shelves, won't the door hit it? I'd hang a nice piece of larger art over it, close the shutters and work on the rest of the room.

Something like this but nice art. :-)

Contemporary Living Room · Más información

• teamaltese
    hace 3 años

I’d remove it. Terrible placement.

• Michelle Heitman-Forbes
    hace 3 años

that is so randomly placed!! Not in a good way.... 😳

Christine Carlton agradeció a Michelle Heitman-Forbes
  • lindahambleton
    hace 3 años

Take it out.

• partim
    hace 3 años

I would not add more tile or a mantle. Just hang a nice piece of art over it and enjoy.

Christine Carlton agradeció a partim
  • Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I like the piece of art idea. Heading over there today to try and picture possibilities. :-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

I would never use a FP in my bedroom. As for the TV if you use a mantel in a bedroom the TV mounted over the FP might just work there since the TV needs to be higher in a bedroom.If you want real help more pics of the space are needed. IMO plantation shutters do not belong any where except a plantation. Lined drapes are much nicer in a bedroom and provide much better light control

Christine Carlton agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ch_100
    hace 3 años

When I saw your picture, I wondered if the owners who put it in had a chair in the corner next to the fireplace. I'm no design pro, but it seems like a small but comfy accent chair would fit nicely there and might balance it a bit, visually. I love the simple mantle that extends to the left idea and shelves like freedomplace1 had suggested might make for a charming fireside library.

Christine Carlton agradeció a ch_100
  • Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Unfortunately there is no space for a chair next to the fireplace because that is the doorway/walkway into the room. I'm liking the idea of a simple mantle that freedomplace1 suggested as well, then putting artwork above. I am going to measure today to see how much space I have (fingers crossed!).

• PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Hi Christine, I would do the entire wall all the way across in white shiplap with a white tile surround to give it a more cohesive and clean look:

Christine Carlton agradeció a ACT ONE DESIGNS
  • Christine Carlton
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Interesting idea with the shiplap. But how would stark white look with the travertine? I am already experiencing the color clash (my opinion) in my master bathroom with the orange-ish travertine floors and white marble countertops (posted in another discussion). I do not like the large contrast and I fear going with all white on the fireplace would be a similar effect.

• homechef59
    hace 3 años

I would remove it.

• NancyD
    hace 3 años

Since you want to keep the fireplace, I’d paint the tiles, the wood molding, and the brass all in black. Since you need the room-darkening ability of the shutters, I’d get them remounted to all slide to the right so they’re out of the way, either stacking or with a barn door hanger. I’d then add white molding straight up on either side of the fireplace, maybe 2-3” to the right and left. Either paint that newly defined section in a complimentary color or all white, and hang artwork (or TV) above the fireplace. Some of these decisions can be tweaked based on your style and budget. Good luck!

• shirlpp
    hace 3 años

I'd call in someone to give an estimate on moving it to the left. This would open up so many design choices for it.

• PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    hace 3 años

The white would blend in with your existing shutters.

• shaunnebblett
    hace 3 años

Can you change the direction of how the door opens? The shutters have to go, they don’t work next to the fireplace. Change the tile around the fireplace and remove the brass accents.

• PRO
    DC Designs
    hace 3 años

Could share more pictures of the room? Is the door a closet door or is that the entry door? Is there room and budget to shift some doors around?

• Anne Duke
    hace 3 años

I’d get rid of it, not just board it up. Is a fireplace in the bedroom worth the effort/cost to keep it?

• PRO
    DC Designs
    hace 3 años

If you want to keep the fire place maybe see about doing this kind of arrangement to allow for more wall space. This would require the patio door to move a few feet. Could you please share more room picture perspectives?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.