Houzz Logo Print
ramandeepsuri

gap in roof tile - is this a problem?

R countryside
hace 3 años

Hi all, I noticed that there is a small gap between the roof Velux window and the tile (see pics). Is it possible that rain water could be seeping in through this gap?

I've not noticed any leakage marks in the ceiling so far... but I am concerned about the gap. Could rain water pass through this gap to destroy the timber panels?

Thanks for your help..
ps - we live in London.

Comentarios (9)

• R countryside
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

thanks for your help...

• kwg kwg
    hace 3 años

Hello, was your extension completed recently? Just say to your builder you are not happy with the way the tile has been cut and finished and ask them to re-cut it so that it covers the whole gap. I also had a similar issue...well all roof tiles were originally fine, then the plumber had to go on to roof, on the way down he cracked a tile, so I told the builder, he sent someone round to replace tile. I checked the work and it looked fine, then when they left, I had another look and they cracked the same tile they replaced on the way down! So they came back do replace again, only this this time they didn’t cut the tile very well and left a gap like yours ( slightly bigger too ), so they need to come back and fix it again. I haven’t had any leaks yet but I can’t stand slap dash work.

• arc3d
    hace 3 años

As Tim said. Lazy workmanship but not going to cause a leak as long as the flashing was fitted correctly.

• R countryside
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

thanks for your comments.

• Rowland
    hace 3 años

I would be more concerned over the detail between the box gutter and the roof tiles leading to the roof window. what flashing detail has the builder done around the head of the roolight.

• R countryside
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hello Rowland, not sure what he has done and I am not an expert...so I mostly relied on him. what's the problem you have spotted? if I know what to ask him, then I can give him a call. thanks

• Rowland
    hace 3 años

Is there a gutter above the velux?? in th picture it looks as though there is something but hard to tell from the angle of the photo. I was going to ask about the detail on lining this gutter. the window is close to the gutter and although sloping away, may be better to have lining running under the tiles. not a huge issue but just a belt and braces approach.

• R countryside
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

thanks for the expert advice..

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.