Houzz Logo Print
webuser_539634120

Down lights or standard standard globe with fitting?

Belinda
hace 3 años

We are renovating a 60s house with cornices, high ceilings, hardwood floors and chandeliers in the hallway and dining room. Should we put down lights in the bedrooms, living room and the rest of the house or will that not match our theme?

Comentarios (5)

• dreamer
    hace 3 años

No down lights in bedrooms. A central pendant fitting with LED bulb, or a central fan with light. Then bedside table lamps.
    lounge and living spaces- depends on the size of the rooms. In my opinion there is nothing worse than a runway of lights in the ceiling. A central pendant, or two matching pendants, if a long room, always looks the best, in an older home. You could then bring in floor light stands, that will also add to the character of the space. Or a trio of lights in the corner of the room, if space is available. An abundance of down lights, in my opinion, would not look the best. Remember for energy efficiency use LED bulbs.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    hace 3 años

No downlights - there are so many reasons why these are so bad, especially in 1960's homes. Check out this link to understand why they are so bad:

https://newenergythinking.com/2018/10/10/we-need-to-talk-about-downlights/

If you need help in selecting the right lighting for your 1960's home please feel free to contact me,

Regards

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits

• PRO
    Pearl Lighting & Brassware
    hace 3 años

That is a great article that was linked above by Dr Retro. If you must use downlights for functionality purposes, then LED are the way to go. That doesn't mean you cannot add a pendant for visual/decorative purposes too.

There are so many beautiful pendants available to suit your home that would visually compliment your renovation. Feel free to check out our website for links to our Suppliers and their catalogues

www.pearllighting.com.au and please be in contact if you have any questions.

• Kate
    hace 3 años

Down lights only where you want an even spread of light across room, that isn’t needed in bedroom or living typically where most of the time lamp light is best and the pendant is decorative mainly. My 50’s house has a wall light in bedroom and no ceiling light, with exception of a down light focused on wardrobe. the old lounge had only lamps no ceiling light, my new lounge I only turn on ceiling light if I’m cleaning or looking for something at night or we are playing a board game on the floor

• Belinda
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks for the advice. We are definitely going to steer away from the downlights now!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.