Houzz Logo Print
webuser_891157459

Kitchen worktop dilemma

Hello, I am hoping for some advice. I love the look of an oak or similar kitchen worktop for my island but I am nervous it will be high maintenance. I have 3 boys (6, 8 & 10) and a very busy life. I am not immaculately tidy and the surfaces will not be obsessively wiped. I am having quartz worktops as I want those to be bomb proof. I would love any thoughts. I am finding the combo of house decisions and home schooling too much for my brain at the moment!

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    hace 3 años

Real oak work surfaces are very high maintenance, as an alternative you could consider a high quality laminate work surface with an oak look as this needs no regular upkeep. Although the photo attached from one of our recent projects only shows this type of material on the 60mm thick stepped up casual seating area and not the whole island you can still see just how realistic it looks.

Mr & Mrs Gisbourne · Más información

Usuario de Houzz-891157459 agradeció a Townhouse Design
  • Usuario de Houzz-891157459
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I probably will but we have an old house and I cant help but feel wood adds a bit more character!

• Ellie
    hace 3 años

You can have wooden table, shelves, chopping boards and accessories to add.

• Ellie
    hace 3 años

The kids are more likely to use the Island for sitting at, dumping stuff on etc so I would say that should be the area you should make bomb proof more than the other runs if worktop.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I would have all quartz, I also have boys and don't trust them an inch. I am also trying to ignore the whole home schooling issue. As long as there is wood somewhere (stools, shelves, even the island ) it will work, when there is no wood it can look a little stark.

• Sonia
    hace 3 años

I have oak worktops and it’s not that much upkeep, just oiling with Osmo Top Oil every few months. It takes minutes but must be left to dry overnight. However around my sink it’s not so good. Water and wood don’t mix. It has become a little faded and there are black bits where the water had laid. That can be treated with oxalic acid. The wood also gets dented. So if I could start again I would choose quartz 😊

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.