Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Questions about Family Friendly Design?

Emily H
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

San Carlos | 2016 · Más información

We're talking to a Houzz Pro next week about family friendly design as part of our Houzz TV Live series.

Do you have specific questions you would like to ask about family friendly design or particular challenges you have around this topic that you would like to have discussed?

Tell us about it in the comments!

Comentarios (13)

• Amy Schrader
    hace 3 años

Family friendly fabrics for upholstered furniture. Thanks!

• User
    hace 3 años

tips for families with 4-legged pets

• arcy_gw
    hace 3 años

"Family" room design is co-dependent on the make up of present family configuration. In the above the ottomans and toys in the same room is in-congruent. Style/looks/attractive when small children are about has to be replace with safe/easily maintained/room for play. Teens would need different chill space--not fussy with decor needing to be re-set i.e. no pillows for looks alone!!!. So I guess I am saying I think ya'll should address giving people permission to LIVE in rooms vs set them up for House Beautiful magazine spreads.

• Lisa Boggs
    hace 3 años
    1. Sharp corners
    2. Loose cords
    3. Baby gates
    4. Fingerprints
    5. Stains/scratches/wear
    6. A home for the toys
    7. Open floor space
    8. While in the trenches of young kids, no, I won’t be investing money on great home things. I get to do that once the highly destructive phase is over.
  • mollythecollie
    hace 3 años

Would like tips on types of materials that can handle play. What types of chairs are the sturdiest? Also, what flooring would they recommend so that it isn't slippery when wet so it will prevent falls, and yet can stand up to spills and our four legged friends.

• mdenton2014
    hace 3 años

When we had little ones, we lived a small two bedroom ranch style. My two biggest issues were toy storage and where to hide 4 baskets of clean laundry (maybe folded, maybe not) before my MIL showed up. When our youngest was 3 we moved into A house 2.5 times the size. It has a dedicated laundry room which solved that problem. I’ve decided that no amount of “proper storage” available and parental reminders “to pick up” can truly ever correct the toy issue. We can keep them out of shared spaces, but kids are going to play with their stuff and they should.

My topic recommendation would to have designers discuss reality. It is possible to have a lovely home without white couches, carpet, and wall trim. many people with little ones may still be early in their relationship. We were married 3 years before our first and I was finishing college the first year. So, we were still using our college furniture when he arrived. Work with people where they are. Maybe they don’t need all new “everything“ for baby. They’ll be too tired to enjoy it anyway.

• chiflipper
    hace 3 años

Oh puh-leez, that room isn't practical for anyone but a single person. Fingerprints on the ghost chairs, light colored flooring and the whimsical ottomans? I wouldn't let my husband near that room, much less a child.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

If you are going to give this a title then show a room that would actually be family friendly. We 3 very rowdy boys but they did not take over the house they had rooms to play in when they were a bit older and as toddlers my Dad built the most amazing toy box/ bench the kids played in the LR until supper time then this bench had 3 boxes on wheels under it the kids pulled the boxes out loaded up all the toys and put them back. I have to say I hate going into a home for a nice dinner party of adults and the whole space is full of toys. Kids need to learn to clean up after themselves from the start. As for furniture IMO nothing beats good leather to withstand all kinds od things. MY MIL used to say our house looked like no one lived there I am sure it was not meant as a compliment but I would always say thank you, I am a minimalist and that will never change. I love tthat kids can now be heard but they still do not have to take over the house. All these huge plastic slides, kitchens belong in a bedroom and not bought until they are old enough to play in their room . If you have a play room I agree it needs to be close to the family and at the end of the day all the stuff gets put back where it belongs.Kids do not need every toy they own out and we used put 1/2 the BD or Christmas presents away and exchange during the year for the ones they had been having out it worked really well.

• PRO
    Coats Homes
    hace 3 años

Thanks for sharing our project!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    hace 3 años

Family friendly design is a misnomer. Look at he example in OP. There is nothing child friendly about thta desig. Simply adding toys to a space does not make it family friendly.

For me family friendly means the toys have someplace to go when not in use. Family friendly means fabrics that can be easily cleaned, not strange white furry stools on lucite legs that are dirt magnets and impossible to clean.

A nice child sized chair would have been a grace note in this living room devoid of any child friendliness.

Plus you would make sure your children are house friendly too ;-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

Sorry I had no idea I was communicating with Coats Homes

• Emily H
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hey all - Take a peek at the Houzz TV Live episode with two designers discussing this very topic! https://www.houzz.com/houzz-tv/2-designers-share-tips-for-creating-stylish-kid-friendly-rooms-stshtvvw-vt~135875973

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.