Houzz Logo Print
phil_scott28

Full height doors or 70/30 split in tall units?

Phil Scott
hace 4 años

I am planning a bank of tall units along one wall that will include full height fridge/freezers and larder units either side of the ovens.

My dilemma is whether to go with 70/30 split doors (Option 1 in the picture) or full height doors (Option 2 in the picture).

I'd like to go with separate full height fridge and full height freezer rather than 2 x 70/30 fridge/freezers, but the full height ones seem more expensive than the split appliances. A 70/30 split appliance with a full height door sounds odd as you would have to open both the fridge and freezer at the same time even when you only needed one of them.

But I think the opposite is true with the larder units where having a full height door makes more sense. Symmetry is important to me so I don't want to mix the options.

What would you do?

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    hace 4 años

Out of interest what style of kitchen are you considering?

• Phil Scott
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks @Townhouse Design for the advice.

We're thinking of a darkish-colour shaker style. I really like the clean lines of a handleless kitchen, but not many places do them with shaker style doors so we might have to settle for handles.

We will also have an island running parallel to the wall of tall units with a light coloured worktop. Still unsure on whether to have the same colour units on the bank of tall units and the island or go for a contrasting look.

• Ellie
    hace 4 años

Have you planned out your full kitchen? Will thus be a full wall that you see on entering the kitchen, if so I think it may be very imposing, maybe OK as a side wall. Will the island sit in front, parallel to this wall of units? Where are the doors in/out the room as you don't want a fridge door opening in your doorway etc. Can you post the full plan?

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    hace 4 años

We offer a shaker handleless range and make colour recommendations for all our clients, if you contact us direct we will send you a list of information that we need from you in order to asses if we're a good fit for your project.

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    hace 4 años

Personally I think option two is better and repeating what @Townhouse Design has said, I would consider full height fridge and freezer separate.

• Phil Scott
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi Ellie,

Yes it's a side wall on the left as you enter the space and the island will run parallel. The main view when you enter the room is the bi-fold/sliding doors out into the garden. Full plan shown below, but nothing is set in stone yet as the builders haven't even started on the extension part.

I know the freezer is shown very close to the wall in the plan, but I want to get one that copes with a 90 degree opening or I can shrink the open shelving down by a few inches to allow the door to open fully if needed.

• Ellie
    hace 4 años

The 900 blue line door bottom left of plan, is that a door into utility? If so, make sure doors can never clash! Also, for what is such a big area, with lots appliances your useable worktop space is small. eg 3.3m long but has a sink and hob in it? I don't count your opposite end (double width) as usable space as when you are cooking you are in the main area and when putting things in and out the oven you need space at oven, beside or opposite to put things down on, and also set out plates on.

• Phil Scott
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes that was something that worried me a little. An earlier design had worktop on part of the left wall as well, but the big issue there is the kink in the left wall where it sticks out. Keeping the worktop the same depth means an odd curve round that wall or just having a 30cm worktop which is not very deep at all. It also means losing storage from the tall units.

I’m quite tall so I was expecting to be able to use a fair bit of the double width island worktop as well. It would be interesting to know if anyone has a 120cm wide island and how much use they make of the far side.

• Jonathan
    hace 4 años

Is the unused space on the bottom right of the plan earmarked for anything?
    Also I suspect you will have problems opening the door if the Fridge/freezer as it’s too close to the corner. Consider finding somewhere else for the open shelves to give the fridges more space.

• Phil Scott
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi Jonathan,

The bottom right section isn’t anything specific. We might put a sofa and TV there or make it a bit of a play corner for the kids. Or maybe move the dining table and have a sofa by the windows, but I liked the idea of dining table under the skylights.

My plan for the freezer is to get one that only needs a 90 degree opening rather than 110degree. If I can’t find one then I’ll shrink the open shelving by a couple of inches to get the necessary space. I didn’t want to put the fridge right next to the oven due to the heat.

• Jonathan
    hace 4 años

Modern appliances are well insulated meaning there is no problem planning an oven next to the fridge.

I think I might try to move the stools to the dining side of the Island to give yourself additional workspace

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    hace 3 años

Marpatt is a door manufacturer I supply and they have a true handleless shaker style kitchen on display at their factory in Leicester (visits by appointment which i can arrange) and they can supply full size shaker doors as well but for a very tall shaker door (over 1245mm) it should have a one or two mid rails to stop it from twisting. These are all painted timber doors. Alternatively you can have made to measure vinyl wrap doors (limited colour choice) and these can be made in wide range of door styles (I supply Bella by BA Components). If you'd like any further information please don't hesitate to message me.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.