robin_christine24

Peel and stick tile over travertine? Or paint it?

Robin Christine
hace 4 años

I have travertine tile in my bathroom that I hate. I've been looking into a low cost update and have been leaning towards peel and stick tile over the travertine. Does anyone have experience with this? What was good or bad about it? What tile did you use?

It seems (but let me know if anyone has experienced it otherwise) that this is a better option than trying to paint travertine that is in the shower and bath area. But if anyone has done this, I would love to hear about that too.

(I might also do a combo of the two options)

Comentarios (14)

• SJ McCarthy
    hace 4 años

What is your LONG TERM goal for this space? Painting requires prep (removing the finish on the tile, scraping it up a bit, filling grout lines, etc) and peal and stick require almost the same thing.

If you are looking to cover up the travertine with SOMETHING then a remnant of sheet vinyl with some perimeter glue will do the job. Caulk the edges and off you go.

All of these options are short term fixes (1-5 years). What are your plans for the LONG TERM look of this bathroom? Are you planning an update in 1-5 years? If not, then you will want to look at long term solutions. A properly laid sheet vinyl floor is a great option. It will be more expensive because it requires more PREP and will need professional installation but it will offer 20+ years for your investment.

Can you share a photo of what you are currently living with?

• Jane Avellino
    hace 4 años

What is the flooring And the rest of the house? The vinyl idea is a good, Or a little wood vinyl plank. I have the wood ceramic tile in my two small bathrooms and I love it. That or the vinyl would be waterproof.

• Robin Christine
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@SJ McCarthy I'll eventually replace the tile in the bathroom. I'm doing my kitchen this year and want something that will make me not hate the room until I'm ready to spend the money to update the tile. So I'm really just looking for a next 3 years (give or take) DIY option.

• Robin Christine
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@Jane Avellino - it's all travertine. Outside of the bathroom, my flooring is light red oak. I was going to do porcelain tile, but right now don't want to spend the money and am looking for a $500 or less solution to get me thru the next few years. It's not a large bathroom, but it has about 230 sq feet of tile

• PRO
    Footprints Floors | McKinney
    hace 4 años

why not use floating tile look LVT? over the top of the travertine? we've done tons of that, as long as its in good condition

• Robin Christine
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@Footprints Floors | McKinney - mostly bc I don't think I can do it myself :) haha

I'm looking at the options I think I can handle.

• PRO
    Footprints Floors | McKinney
    hace 4 años

the lvt is click lock, some you can even grout the seems. think of LVT as short Fat planks, they're actually easier DIY install with a mallet and table saw/ guillotine

• Robin Christine
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The table saw part is what I'm not comfortable with....

• hcbm
    hace 4 años

Are you trying to cover the tile in the wet shower area or outside of the shower?

• millworkman
    hace 4 años

Anything over the tile in the shower will cause a larger mess than the tile currently installed. Do not do it.

• Robin Christine
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@hcbm - Ideally yes. Even if it is just plain white shower/tile paint

• millworkman
    hace 4 años

100% good money after bad.

• SJ McCarthy
    hace 4 años

Covering the floor is one thing = super easy. Covering the WET areas (shower walls, etc) is another (super difficult = total mess = renovation needed today, not 3 years from now).

Go ahead and cover the flooring if you must. Don't do anything with the splash zone tiles. If you choose to work with the tile paint....try not to use the shower for the next 3 years...

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.