webuser_260472993

10 person family needing durable floor...LVP or engineered wood?

Brandy Sexton
hace 4 años

We have 8 kids (6 boys), we homeschool, and we have lots of company so our flooring needs to stand up to a lot of use. Also, it seems like there is a lot of water on our floors here and there. We have had some small leaks and the toddlers spill or dribble water as they walk sometimes.

Would luxury vinyl plank (20 ml wear layer) or engineered hardwood be the best option for us? A few other details...the bedrooms are all in the basement below the flooring I am asking about. Would one dampen noise better than the other?

I think the LVP might stand up better at first, but it will eventually wear through the "picture" of the wood and look white. The wood might show wear, but still look nice because it is actual wood.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Comentarios (9)

• SJ McCarthy
    hace 4 años

You will need to choose your MOST IMPORTANT aspects of the floor. All floors scratch and show wear. Even porcelain tile will look 'lived on' after a while. A house with 10 people would be considered a high-wear situation. I would look for a floor that offers commercial grade wear.

Engineered hardwood offers the benefit of being able to add acoustic underlayment. Whereas most vinyl products (95-99%) do not. They will need to be installed straight down onto the subfloor.

Engineered hardwood can scratch...depending on the type of finish. It can handle spills that are cleaned up within 15 minutes of so (1/4 cup fluids) but it won't handle a large puddle (the entire gallon of milk sitting on the floor) for that long.

Yes, vinyl scratches. Sure. But everything will - eventually.

The 20mil finish on vinyl is going to be good enough for most households. For yours I would suggest getting tougher (30mil - 40mil) finish. There are a few of these out there...but not many. Again, the noise reduction won't be very good (it is cheaper to insulate the ceiling than it is to get any meaningful noise reduction underneath vinyl.

These two issues need to be reconciled to your level of acceptance. A scratched, beaten up vinyl is still a viable, sound floor. It just doesn't look nice. An engineered hardwood will scratch as well...but eventually it can be brought to the point of plank failure (cracks/splits, wear through causing raw wood to be exposed). This level of wear on an engineered hardwood is rare (especially if you work with the super tough finishes on the high-end products) but it still can happen with a family of 10.

I suggest you decide which is more important - pretty vs. functional vs. quiet. It would be hard to have all 3 with a family of 10.

Brandy Sexton agradeció a SJ McCarthy
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

I think coretec has a cork under the plank. I love my vinyl planks it is 13 yrs old and we have huge dogs that have access to a dog run all day through a doggie door , they play outside even in the rain and track in mud from digging along with water Ours still looks great 13 yrs later I just swiffer and and damp mop at the end of the day. We did ours in our walk and put dri-core under it , the kind we have one piece sticks to the next piece so virtually waterproof.It was very affordable and if it dies tomorrow it owes us nothing. wood would have been destroyed long ago.

• PRO
    Footprints Floors | McKinney
    hace 4 años

I've installed tens of thousands ft of LVP. Coretec is one of the better brands and comes in longer planks (same size planks is a big giveaway for laminate and LVP, but 6-7 ft planks are less obvious).

You get what you pay for, with Wear layers and warranties.

• partim
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I needed a heavy-wearing kitchen/great room/hallway/laundry floor to accommodate a wheelchair, and never regretted choosing tile. We wear shoes in the house so a hard floor was not an issue for us.

• Brandy Sexton
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you everyone! Will the sun cause LVP to warp at the ends or fade? I am looking at the Paramount Rigid Core in Garden Stone with 20 ml wear layer. It has a 15 year light commercial warranty. It looks like sun is the kryptonite of LVP. The engineered hardwood I am looking at is Rustic Hickory with an aluminum oxide finish. It's discontinued so I am able to get it for $2.49/sf plus install. It had a 25 year warranty, but that won't apply because it's discontinued. Any other thoughts?

• SJ McCarthy
    hace 4 años

Sunlight (the UV) can cause fading. The HEAT from the windows (infrared = IR) causes the warping. The WINDOWS are the saving grace of vinyl. A newer (in the last 10 years) set of windows with a decent UV/IR block (something above 50% block) will keep your vinyl happy and healthy for decades. Older windows with limited UV/IR blocking (less than 40%) will cause issues with both fading and warping.

Your SITUATION will be what determines the health/happiness of the flooring you choose. Check the HEAT ratings for the vinyl you choose and then MEASURE the heat generated in one of your windows that has the most direct sunlight. You can do this by using and outdoor thermometer sitting on the floor. You simply let the sunlight heat up your floor. The thermometer readings (I suggest checking it every hour throughout the sunlit hours) will tell you if your house has the climate to keep the vinyl happy.

• Brandy Sexton
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks!

• julieste
    hace 4 años

Look at Flooret. Their LVP is 40 mil.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.