Houzz Logo Print
rosemonde

loft conversion layout - broken wall line

rosemonde
hace 4 años

Is there any way to modify the main wall in this converted loft, so as to get rid of the “pillar” and make the wall unbroken? At present the uneven wall line makes it really hard to place furniture.

As far as I know there is no obvious reason why the wall is broken in several sections.

See red line in attached drawing, showing how I’d like the wall to be. . Thank you

Comentarios (5)

• rosemonde
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Bumping for advice. Many thanks

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    hace 4 años

Removing this nib would depend on whether or not it has any structural purpose. If it is structural then maybe building a false wall along the full face of the existing to make the wall flat and hide the shape it currently is. this will however impact on the space within the room.

• arc3d
    hace 4 años

Hi Rose,

I would recommend talking to a structural engineer. "As far as i know..." is not a good approach when talking about something that could be holding up your house!

Reminds me of a story I once heard...

A few years ago a builder I met told me of lady he was standing behind in a builders merchants. She was asking a staff member about metal brackets but seemed confused about what she actually wanted, so he stepped in and asked her to describe what she wanted them for. She said that there were bits of wood clogging up the space in her loft so she had started cut them out and was looking for brackets to somehow hold the remaining bits together! Anyway being as shocked as he was he asked if anyone was still in the house and if there was she had to call them and tell them to get out! He went back to house with her and showed her that that her roof was already starting to bow in the middle. She had started cutting out the trusses holding up her roof! She didn't think they were too important because she thought they were too thin! She was still not really aware of how bad things were and asked if him he could fix it! Anyway a few structural surveys, scaffolding and many thousands of pounds later she had learnt the "As far I know" can't be applied to somethings in life.

• PRO
    A M P U E R O Y U T R O N I C
    hace 4 años

Hi Rosa,
    Hope you are well and safe..
    I would recommend to have a structural engineer to look at this. And also, if is a attache house, also you should considered a party wall surveyor.
    Best,
    Catalina

• rosemonde
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks all. We’re not currently living in the house. I am planning a big refurb once we move in this summer, and in the meantime this nib has been niggling me. I wish I could get structural engineers in right now, but as the house is currently rented, we’ll have to wait. I was just curious to see if anyone had come across this problem. The house was very poorly extended by cowboy builders, hence why I suspect the nib doesn’t serve a purpose.

I will come back and update in a few months!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.