Houzz Logo Print
shaggysgirl

Help with this banister

Susan S
hace 4 años

Hi everybody - we close on our new home soon and are moving in June. We temporarily considered restaining the floors, but after getting quotes we decided to keep the floors as is (they are in excellent condition, so it was for pure aesthetic reasons) and invest that money in other areas. I can deal with the tone of wood on the floors, but in the entryway to the house, it overwhelms - floor, stairs, banister. I am thinking a banister update can help but I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions? The hallyway will be painted in either agreeable gray or Behr roman plaster (or perhaps SW grecian ivory), depending on what looks best when we get in the house. There is white trim that you can't see here. TIA for your expertise!

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    SawHorse Design + Build
    hace 4 años

Since it is stain grade already- I would leave it alone. It you are going for a more modern look, then here is an ideabook that I created for my clients- https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/129082810/list/modern-stairs

• grapefruit1_ar
    hace 4 años

Your floors are beautiful and classic. They work with everything and every paint color, but secretly I hope you choose something other than gray.

• Susan S
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I am leaning towards the roman plaster or grecian ivory. I like gray but love it with darker floors. With these floors, I don't think I am as enamored. That said, I am more of a cool tone person than warm tone. So I am hoping something can be done to hell neutralize the hallway a bit, hence my thought that the banister is a good place to start.

• Susan S
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

p.s. baseboards are white

• grewa002
    hace 4 años

I agree, paint the spindles white

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

I assume the big storage piece in the entry will go with the movers, leaving that wall empty. Once you have done your painting, get a nice rug for between the door and the stairs. Consider a rug runner for the stairs if you are a traditional person or you like “quiet” stars. The rug will bring needed color into the entry and reduce the amount of floor showing. Add art on the walls, and a nice console where the modern storage piece stood. You are fortunate the floors seem to be in good condition.

• Linda Thomas
    hace 4 años

Depending on the grey, the walls could clash with the woodwork.

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

I like the idea that stine suggested - white risers, white bannister and think about a black railing. I also think that greys will clash with your floors.

• houssaon
    hace 4 años

I agree with the suggestions for white spindles and risers with a black banister. I like a low pile runner for the staircase. It helps to prevent slipping and add color.

• Andrea Morrell USDA Z5 / CAD 5B
    hace 4 años

Agree with white risers and spindles - it will really pop! If it were me, I would leave the railing colour since it already works with the treads & floor (I'm not a huge fan of contrasting railing/tread). If you do want to make a change to the railing, look at putting a post to replace the current "birdcage". If you have a pro come in to do the risers/spindles, you may need to make this change anyway (and possibly replace all the spindles if not correct height!) to meet your area's current codes. Yes, speaking from experience... ;-)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

We had the same issue in our 1990s vacation home. We painted the banister black and the newell posts, balusters, and stair risers white to offset the wood. I would have liked to re stain the floors but didn’t want the expense or the inconvenience. We’re also installing a sea grass lookalike runner with a black border to replace the one that’s been there for about 20 years!

• skunst2017
    hace 4 años

Beautiful floors , depending on your style ...modern or traditional ...the only thing I would change are the spindles ...if you like a modern look . You need to change the spindles ...otherwise just paint as suggested above ....enjoy your beautiful new house ...and remember to live in a new place for a few months to see what you like to change ...

• karihailey
    hace 4 años

I personally like the wood color and stairs, it’s a warmer version of the farmhouse style that is everywhere now. I would add a colorful runner up the stairs to break up all the wood, but if you’re looking for a more dramatic change the bloggers Chris Loves Julia just changed out their railing and it looks great.

• Amy Lynn
    hace 4 años

Young House Love had a similar look on their staircase. They redid some things to update the look and it turned out so well. They used a very dark gel stain on the banister instead of black. You might get an idea or two from them.

https://www.younghouselove.com/stairs-and-stripes/

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

I don't like either color with your floors. Too dark.

With the colors shown below, you will obviously be able to add a bright white for trim and stair risers

• Sue Pedersen
    hace 4 años

Congratulations on your new home. These spindles were white and I painted them a brownish black.

• Susan S
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for all of the advice, everybody. i am now rethinking paint colors (leaning towards benjamin moore pale oak on the walls and behr swiss coffee as trim, and using swiss coffee on the spindles and risers. The jury is still put on if I stain the top banister a darker color After spending a couple of days on design blogs I want light and bright in this home!

I can't wait to go in and put of some posterboard swatches and see how it looks.

• typeandrun
    hace 4 años

I would suggest BM white dove for all trims. It is a great neutral, not too white, not too creamy.

and agree paint the spindles and risers

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Adding black details will be a great way to balance out your woods. I would paint risers SW Extra White, railing and inside of front door SW Tricorn Black in satin finish and walls in an offwhite possibly Alabaster. You will need to drop sample boards to assess color in your light. I would add fun runner to stairs in supporting colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Do not “drop”

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Was going to suggest as OP recommending to paint railing black and white walls. However, looking at the beautiful staircase I thought Peppercorn by SW would be beautiful with the wood. Would like to see the foyer from different perspectives to see the entire space. Artwork pops on this wall color and really is a neutral and a gray that is elegant and inviting with woods. Order a sample large enough to get an idea or paint different walls to see the color at different times of daylight and night to view color. Not sure the direction your home will be decorated but this would be stunning if the color worked. Or even just the door or accent wall painted in this color would be elegant The door painted black or white would also work. Congrats on the new home. Keep us posted on your updates.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Much depends on your family situation and what your design style will be in this home. Traditional styling leans toward certain looks and contemporary leans to others, so these elements need to be taken into consideration. Here are some "looks" to consider. You can also set up an "ideabook" here on Houzz and go through various "searches" to save photos that appeal to you to help you hone in on the right approach for your family.

Traditional Entry · Más información

Entry Halls & Main Stairs · Más información

Stair Runners by Carpet to Go · Más información

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

Flo’s second photo is the image I had in my head, as is Diana’s. The dark banister will contrast the floors well, as would a runner. But that will be after you do the walls, bannister, risers, whatever painting. But start looking for a fun runner!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.