Houzz Logo Print
phillykenny

tile floor or island first?

Phil
hace 4 años

Our builder for our extension has said that we need to put the kitchen and island in first before we tile the floor. I'm concerned that this will not create a neat effect when cutting tiles around the island from the fitter. Does anyone have advice on this or experience of this and also how much have do you pay on average for a tile floor fitter

Comentarios (10)

• Ellie
    hace 4 años

We fitted our kitchen and island first. The units are on legs so the floor will still be taken underneath a couple inches so you'll still get perfect finish

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

We tiled the whole kitchen floor first then added the kitchen units afterwards. My kitchen is quite small so I don’t have an island. Tile fitters usually charge about £150 - £180 a day, but more in London.

• arc3d
    hace 4 años

Both ways are fine. We had our kitchen tiled first then the units.

The neatness of the finish will depend on the skill of your tile fitter.

• Daisy England
    hace 4 años

What you need to consider if you don’t have the floor tiled first is the fact that if you have to pull anything out it may cause a problem. For instance if a washing machine breaks and the engineer needs it pulling out to mend it, if the tiles are up to it and not underneath it you will not pull it out. For that reason I would always say floor first.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

Tile first, if you want to remove anything it makes it very difficult if not tiled. Also, if there is a leak it is much better if the whole floor is tiled.

• PRO
    qudaus living ltd
    hace 4 años

I would recommend tiling the floor 1st especially if you have end panels on an island which goes to the floor. No matter how good the tiler i believe you will get a better finish with no cuts and excessive grout lines.

By tiling 1st you will also be able to set you island and units out so that the lines follow through.

I also agree with other about the tiles which are required to go beneath f/s appliances (dishwashers, american fridge freezers, wine coolers etc)

I would think a tiler would prefer to tile with no furniture in the way as the job can be carried out much quicker and tidier than if there is a kitchen in the way.

One thing you do have to be mindful of is whether or not you have underfloor heating and if sufficient time has been allowed for the screed to dry. A good tiler will perform a moisture test to ensure correct tolerances are adhered to.

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    hace 4 años

Working in this order will also mean the mess created by tile adhesive and grout is not on your beautiful brand new kitchen.

• Angie
    hace 4 años

Definitely tile first for me. Our current kitchen is only tiled to just under the units so we can’t take out a unit if we want to. When we eventually redo the kitchen the floor will be complete.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    hace 4 años

Majority of kitchens in the UK have the tiles go down last as its cheaper, you're only paying for the tiles and labour for the parts you see. But apart from cost there is benefits to both methods.

If you're planning on replacing your kitchen again in the next few years then having it all tiled works best as the floor is complete but even then you may notice a difference in colour due to UV, dirt and wear.

Downsides though is whilst your kitchen is being fitted you have to protect the floor from clumsy tradesmen, all the decor panels that go to the floor, like on the island, base ends and tower ends have to be scribed to the floor then sealed with silicon so there's no moisture damage (fitter may charge more as its extra work and it might not look so great).

If you tile after your tiler may charge for the extra cuts he has to do, but if its a complicated pattern he may be able to set it out better as all the furniture is in the room so it can look its best. Hopefully a decent tiler would clear up as he goes along any way and remove any mess from the units, or covers them up with a dust sheet.

But you may have to get your kitchen fitter back to refit the plinths if he didn't allow for the tiles.

For the appliances any freestanding ones need to also have tiles underneath, so once the tiles go down you might need to get the fitter back to level the appliance (especially washing machines and range cookers). For integrated appliances any decent fitter would allow for the tiles and fix some skids down on the floor (offcuts of laminate worktop etc) so if the appliance need servicing its higher than the tiles and can just slide out.

If you're really worried about the grout lines around the decor panels they can be fitted last and scribed to the floor then sealed so it would look like its tiled all through.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.