Houzz Logo Print
kelly_eastmond

help with shelf styling.

Kelly Eastmond
hace 4 años

Does anyone have any suggestions for shelf styling? I am trying to keep minimal/coastal/boho theme. I have attached a current picture. The bottom shelves where pillows are stored now will have baskets for blankets, etc. Other decor not shown are two more neural books to stack, a white ceramic bowl, and wood beads. Thanks!

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

Do you want minimal or Boho they are opposites of each other.Why do you need blankets or extra cushions ?

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I guess more minimal. I’m throwing those extra pillows out they came w the couch. I wanted baskets with blankets in bottom shelves bc my kids use blankets everyday and I don’t like leaving them out.

• Angel 18432
    hace 4 años

There are lots of ideas on this site to "style" shelves. Just my opinion, but I think the tv is too high. Would probably look better moved "one Line" down.

• chloebud
    hace 4 años

One thing that's been helpful for me from Houzz is to use 1/3 books, 1/3 decor and 1/3 open space on shelves. You're smart to think "minimal." Agree the TV's too high. Center of screen should be about 42" from the floor...give or take a bit.

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Agree with the TV we have a slightly bigger one for the space so will adjust then. I’m just stuck a on what kinda decor and where.

• Angel 18432
    hace 4 años

Go to youtube and type in styling shelves. lots of videos and hints.

• chloebud
    hace 4 años

Kelly, see if this link is any help. Everyone's different with what appeals to their eye. Most of the time my eye sees too much on shelves, but it's YOUR eye that counts. I would still keep the "1/3 open space" in mind.

https://www.younghouselove.com/how-to-style-a-bookshelf-video/

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks, I’ve looked on Pinterest and stuff but can’t really find something to work w my space.

• tedbixby
    hace 4 años

Do you have any decor that means something to you and reflects your family or brings back memories rather than just filling the space with "things." If you do, you might start there and then fill in with "things" if needed. Or would you prefer to have it not personal?

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Ted... the kids school pics are really the only personal things we have. Don’t need the rest to be personal.

• zaccaii
    hace 4 años

If pictures are 8 x 10 the cubbies are small so limit each cubby to one item. So center the round baskets on left and plant on right, move the photo on left down a shelf and photo on right only thing on the shelf. Put glass jar below photo and your other stack of books and basket for blankets at the bottom. Another basket at bottom on left and snap another picture to see how that looks. You may find as you move it around something will just look "right" :)

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Zacc-better for what I have for now? Obviously still need to add a little

• tsjmjh
    hace 4 años

Can you move the shelves? Right now they're too symmetrical, meaning both sides are the same levels. That allows you to put taller or shorter items or groupings of different heights on a shelf. I have a long run, ~ 8 1/2' x 6 1/2' tall, of 3 movable bookcases along a wall behind my (mine, mine, mine, only mine ;D ) tv/reading chairs. None of the shelves "line up" with each other; they are all slightly staggered across the span.

I also wallpapered the back of the bookcases. Easy peasy with stick and peel paper. Except for the bad words said by my husband in lining up the pattern, lol. I wouldn't paper yours, but maybe a slightly darker contrasting - a beachy light blue or green? - paint color to add some interest

My bookcases, and all others in other rooms in the house, are jammed packed full with books, mementos, family photos of all different sizes in different frames, etc. I am definitely violating the 1/3 rule. If I ever put the house on the market, the bookcases will either disappear or will be significantly cleared of stuff. In the meantime, I thoroughly enjoy seeing that stuff.

• zaccaii
    hace 4 años

Wow, good for you, yes looks like a great start, you could try tipping photos in a little. Once you get your blankets baskets and other books post a picture. Houzzers love quick response to suggestions, keep working on it!

• chloebud
    hace 4 años

Much better! I agree with zaccaii...tilt the photos in toward the TV a bit.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    hace 4 años

Hi Kelly. Glad the TV will be adjusted when the larger one goes up. Have you already got the baskets? The kids pictures are just too large for the size of each shelf. In this openings a 5 x 7" frame is a max size. Can you take pictures of all the items you would like to go into the shelves? That way we can see what it is you would like to use and help you display them accordingly

• PRO
    Color Zen
    hace 4 años

Looking better! I would mix in some white ceramics & a little metal for sheen.

• PRO
    Emma DeRoche Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Hi Kelly
    Would you consider wallpapering the back wall of your cabinet and bring in mostly white items to contrast. You could see your three pints like this :
    1/ wallpaper: bohemian pattern or grasscloth
    2/ white item : coastal thème
    3/ not too much items (shelves are small) : minimalism
    As far as the decor items, I think your picture frame are too big of a scale for your shelves, maybe in smaller sizes so that it could be balanced with books or other decor?
    See my pictures attached

• suezbell
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Add doors over the shelving to create closets with shelves. If possible, use doors without visible hardware -- the kind you press to have it open.

Alternately, instead of full height closet doors, hide the bottom two or three shelves and leave only the two or three upper shelves open.

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks these were just built so not altering design or wallpapering lol. Even though the suggests look good. I will try to layer but don’t want it to look cluttered.

• Angel 18432
    hace 4 años

Regarding wallpapering. Just glue paper onto cardboard and used double sided tape to adhere to back of shelves.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    hace 4 años

Generally built in shelving is 12" deep. Wallpapering the back is visible at this depth and can add a lot of interest. In your case your shelving is deep and the wallpaper would not be as visible and therefore I think not worth it.

• Kelly Eastmond
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes the shelves are 15 inches deep

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.