Houzz Logo Print
nancy_nickoley

Mixing Whites - Paint and Standard White Tubs, etc.

nancy_nickoley
hace 4 años

If cabinets/trim/doors are painted throughout the home in BM White Dove would it mix okay with the cleaner, brighter whites that are in the standard white bathtubs, sinks, bright white tiled tub/shower surround? Also, does the BM White Dove work okay with the whiter marbles (not the grayer carrara)?

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Active Builders London ltd
    hace 4 años

We, personally prefer to add a bit of contrast as all white might look a bit too clinical

• Jennifer Hogan
    hace 4 años

No one paints trim the pure bathtub white, it would be way too stark, so we paint our doors and trim with something else and live with the bright white tubs and toilets. Paint the walls a color and it will all come together beautifully.

• nancy_nickoley
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@Jennifer Hogan Would SW Extra White be considered as stark white as a bathtub white? Would BM White Dove look dirty next to a bathtub white?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

nancy, I used White dove on my walls and trim when painting my room. I found it looked dingy. so I completely repainted using Simply White. (which would be close to Pure White). It had a much crisper appearance without being too stark.

I also used the white straight out of the can (no added tint to it BM Advance, Base 1 semi gloss) for all the trim around my marble bathroom. you can see it here on the door and baseboard

You don't HAVE to add tint to the white base. Is this too stark? if so, then try a warmer neutral like Simply White

White Dove would look a little dingy next to a white bathtub.

Why don't you just get some samples and see for yourself??

• Jennifer Hogan
    hace 4 años

I wouldn't use White Dove in my home. I like a cleaner white, but I also use some stronger color than other people use.

My absolute favorite white is one that can be matched by Benjamin Moore, It is Devine Color Icing. Sherwin Williams bought out the Devine Color line and won't color match. It is very close to BM Cotton Balls.

I used it in my last home and am using it in my current home. Pics of my last home can be seen on zillow https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/873-Julie-Ct-San-Marcos-CA-92069/16685740_zpid/?view=public

That said, the best way to pick colors for your home is to start with the colors you love. Pick colors that make your heart sing when you see them. Pick colors that make you feel like a 10 when you wear them. You want your home to make you feel joy when you walk into each room. I usually pick 3 "Colors" for my home and then pick lighter and darker, brighter and grayer shades of the colors. I use some color in each room.

Second step is to pick how you are going to use those colors in each room. Will they be the main wall color or an accent color or the color of the sofa or chairs? Which rooms will have more of one color and which will have more of another. How do the colors flow from one room to the next.

After I decide on the "Colors" I pick a neutral that works with the colors. For me this is usually a taupe, but that is because I love smokey purples and teals and deep wine reds. For you this may be gray or beige or taupe or greige. The neutral has to work with the colors.

The last color decision is white. Which white works best with the colors and the neutrals.

Extra White is a blue white and would not look good next to my taupe. Chantilly Lace is a very neutral white and works with most colors as does the Devine Icing.

If I were painting all the walls in my home Dove Wing and wanted a very monochromatic color scheme I would pick White Dove as the trim white, but that is really not my style. I am really not that sophisticated and even if I were I would probably pick something more like SW Creamy and SW Pure White if I were going for the white on white monochromatic look.

Hint - look in your closet, look at the things that you have bought for in your home that you absolutely love - art, vases, candles. Look at your jewelry, scarves, accessories. We generally buy things that bring us joy and make us feel happy, so it is a great place to start.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.